Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the strangest degree from a GEM student?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

liberal wrote: »
    i take it ur new to this college game
    no ive been around a while...
    getting a 2.2 invovles spending as much time as possible studying in final year, getting a 1.1 invovles spending as much time as possible studying and being both smart and lucky

that totally depends on what course youre doing and where youre doing it mate... clue up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

RCSI_GEP wrote: »
    The Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland has the longest running Irish Graduate Entry medical Programme and to date there is no evidence that previous degree discipline has any bearing on performance in the course. It appears from the limited data so far that if you get a high enough GAMSAT score to get onto our programme, you are capable of progressing through it, regardless of previous academic background.

For further information and a chance to talk to current science / non-science students you should come to the RCSI Graduate Entry Programme Open Day in November. See this link for further information:
    http://www.rcsi.ie/gep/openday

Good luck.

I'm not interested in applying myself, but I am curious about something; Is the 2:1 in the primary degree an absolute requirement?
    Does that mean, for example, that one person who has a 2:1 or a 1st in Politics and History of Art, can get in, but another with a 2:2 or 3rd in Pharmacy, Pharmacology, General Science, Biochemistry, Physiotherapy etc etc cannot?
    Doesn't seem fair to me; I would have assumed that there would have been some kind of grading system according to the relevance of the primary degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

I'm not interested in applying myself, but I am curious about something; Is the 2:1 in the primary degree an absolute requirement?
    Does that mean, for example, that one person who has a 2:1 or a 1st in Politics and History of Art, can get in, but another with a 2:2 or 3rd in Pharmacy, Pharmacology, General Science, Biochemistry, Physiotherapy etc etc cannot?
    Doesn't seem fair to me; I would have assumed that there would have been some kind of grading system according to the relevance of the primary degree.
    yeah theres no way they will accept a 2:2 its like a rule like higher c3 math in LC for engineering, they dont make exceptions (well this is a bad example i think cuz you can get in with a FAS or PLC course in some places if u dont have it but you cant with this), in UK they take you with a 2:2 in 2 universties i think forgot which ones
    Doesn't seem fair to me
    life isnt fair mate :P its not fair that i wasnt smart enough to get 600 points in LC so i can get medicine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

yeah i does seem a little unfair....

like im not saying arts is easy but....it is only 3 years (as are many others) so you could be start GEM at the tender age of 20 in extreme cases

the point of the GEM is to bring diversity to medicine so thats why they take any primary hons degree

but dent still have a special BDS entry medicine in some of the schools.... its seems like pharm r getting screwed a bit

no ive been around a while...

that totally depends on what course youre doing and where youre doing it mate... clue up

find me some that got a 1.1 in any course that will say it's easy

clue up yourself.. comparing finals to the leaving, a 1h is only C1 standard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I know someone in this situation too - got a 2:2 in a course that would be considered "relative" but can't apply.

I'm just wondering what the situation is considering in some degrees a 2:1 is 60-69%, but in others it is only 65-69%. So, somebody with 64% in one course has a 2:1 and can apply, but somebody else with 64% in a different course has a 2:2 and can't.

I know someone in this situation too - got a 2:2 in a course that would be considered "relative" but can't apply.

I'm just wondering what the situation is considering in some degrees a 2:1 is 60-69%, but in others it is only 65-69%. So, somebody with 64% in one course has a 2:1 and can apply, but somebody else with 64% in a different course has a 2:2 and can't.

I think there is some FETAC guidlines or something like that

Advertisement