Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon II - The A&A Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

No
    sink wrote: »
    It's obviously another yes from me. I find it interesting that A&A leans so staggeringly towards Yes side camp. Maybe Atheist & Agnostics have a better bull**** filter then the general population.

Well that goes without saying doesn't it :D

That's why we're atheists and agnostics in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Not going to vote
    Zillah wrote: »
    Now that's curious.

23-3 at the moment. Compared to the After Hours poll which is quite close but leaning towards no.

I think it is very telling that the Yes campaign is based on facts and good arguments, and that the No campaign is based on lies, exaggeration and fear mongering -- and we see that the majority are being duped by the No campaign and here we are, once again in the reasonable minority.

Speak for yourself :p

By the way the Politics forum's poll is similar to AH's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

No
    yeah from me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

No
    Yipee I can resume posting here. I have been busy elsewhere recently :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

No
    What does Coir stand to gain from a No Vote?

Well, they seem to be of the opinion that abortion will sneak into Ireland if we vote Yes (it actually has no effect on the matter).

• Advertisement

No
    I think I know why the yes side on this forum is winning by so much. EU is seen by people who think they are 'progressive' types as being a pre-cursor to being 'European' which denotes open-mindness, liberalism and all that kind of thing which is kinda in Ireland what you associate with being Atheist. Just how I see it.

No
    Now that's curious.

23-3 at the moment. Compared to the After Hours poll which is quite close but leaning towards no.

I think it is very telling that the Yes campaign is based on facts and good arguments, and that the No campaign is based on lies, exaggeration and fear mongering -- and we see that the majority are being duped by the No campaign and here we are, once again in the reasonable minority.

I don't agree entirely. The yes side attempts to portray that if Ireland was to vote no to Lisbon we would be thrown out and that we are truly unique among Europe that we reject the treaty when in reality in many countries it would be defeated(sweden and uk for example)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

No
    Now that's curious.

Too bad the Yes campaign are inept, otherwise we would have a lot more people in the Yes camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

No
    I'll be voting yes, same as last time.

As for why, well, I'm an incorrigible federalist. For me at least, this Treaty doesn't go nearly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

No
    Voting Yes as before :)

I've actually forgotten most of this treaty:o, but I was fairly convinced the first time and I managed to convince family too:cool:

Time to repeat!

Oh and btw, Clare was one of the counties that voted 'yes; the last time :D

No
    Zillah, I noticed you voted Yes in this poll. Will you be able to vote in the actual referendum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

No
    Voting Yes, like last time. Had plenty of time to think it over at this stage! As someone said earlier, we're seeing the same old 'Creationist' style card tricks as before from the 'No' side.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Undecided at the moment, but leaning towards a Yes.

No
    I voted no last year, but after putting a lot more research into my decision, I've changed to a yes vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

No
    Undecided at the moment, but leaning towards a Yes.

Lean further:)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

Not going to vote
    Glad to see that the fact that re-submitting the treaty for approval by plebiscite is fundamentally anti-democratic, isn't causing people any problems.
    Must be just me. :rolleyes:

I'm sure if the 'Yes' vote had triumphed in a legitimate democratic ballot the last time, they'd now be asking us again, just in case we'd changed our minds to 'No'. Wouldn't they?

I think the best argument for voting 'Yes' this time is that they're only going to try again next year if we repeat the 'No' vote. If we just let them pass the bloody thing then we can use all of our dwindling public finances to pay for NAMA.

On the subject of which, wouldn't it be cheaper to run the inevitable NAMA tribunals concurrently with NAMA, rather than after it gets buggered up?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

No
    Obni wrote: »
    Glad to see that the fact that re-submitting the treaty for approval by plebiscite is fundamentally anti-democratic, isn't causing people any problems.

In a democracy people are allowed to change their minds. The only reason you would resist a second vote is that you are afraid that enough people have changed their minds, meaning it would pass this time.

Hence, your objection to re-submitting the treaty is massively undemocratic: You want to prevent a potential "Yes" majority from having their democratic will done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

No
    ANTIFA! wrote: »
    The yes side attempts to portray that if Ireland was to vote no to Lisbon we would be thrown out
    If the Irish electorate, through the Treaty as negotiated by the Irish government, doesn't agree with the future direction that all the other member countries have agreed, then -- other than a third referendum or the government implementing the Treaty regardless of the result -- I don't see any realistic alternative to Ireland withdrawing from the EU and leaving the other countries get on with it without us.
    ANTIFA! wrote: »
    and that we are truly unique among Europe that we reject the treaty when in reality in many countries it would be defeated (sweden and uk for example)
    ...and the other countries would probably reject it for reasons which are as appallingly stupid as the reasons the Irish electorate voted down the Treaty last year.

When people refuse to inform themselves about the issue they've voting upon and either vote upon something issue unconnected with the merits of the case, or simply outsource their opinions to cranks, nutters and single-issue fanatics, that's when democracy stops working.

No

I'm sure if the 'Yes' vote had triumphed in a legitimate democratic ballot the last time, they'd now be asking us again, just in case we'd changed our minds to 'No'. Wouldn't they?

I think the best argument for voting 'Yes' this time is that they're only going to try again next year if we repeat the 'No' vote. If we just let them pass the bloody thing then we can use all of our dwindling public finances to pay for NAMA.

On the subject of which, wouldn't it be cheaper to run the inevitable NAMA tribunals concurrently with NAMA, rather than after it gets buggered up?

You have much too high an opinion of us if you think that this will be coming around a third time.

But I expect we will have little trouble getting the better deal that Sinn Fein wants next time around.

26 Other Member states: Ok right, we have ripped up the Lisbon lets start again. Since it can't be abortion, tax or neutrality this time around. What are the major issues about the future direction of Europe that you would like us to address?

Ireland: Eh .... No to Nama?

26 other Member states: :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

No
    Last year's result -- see my previous posting -- was fundamentally undemocratic since the majority of people did not vote upon the issue at hand, and instead voted, say, to give Brian Cowen a bloody nose (huh?), because they didn't like FF's attitude to taxi drivers, thought that there was some merit to Declan Ganley's rubbish, didn't like what Shell is doing in Mayo, objected to abortion or euthanasia, and so on and so on.

The number of people who read the Treaty, tried to understand it in context, and voted upon its merits seem to have been a depressingly small minority.

Let's not forget either that this is going to referendum in the first place on account of Ray Crotty, the SEA and a 1987 (?) judgment of the Supreme Court. This referendum has little or nothing to do with the system of representative democracy as defined by the Irish Constitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

No
    I'll be voting Yes once again. Haven't read the entire treaty, but I've read enough of it, along with other research, to satisfy myself that I'm making the right choice.

There's nothing even vaguely alarming in it, and both the increase in power to the Parliament and the Citizens' Initiative are a huge plus for me.

I just wish Fianna Fáil had stepped down, so we'd have a government with a mandate spearheading the Yes campaign.

Still though, here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Not going to vote
    "No" for what the yes people think are all the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

No

Your crypticism, while obviously dark and sexy, is not very constructive to discussion.

No

Because you think the minimum wage would actually be lowered to €1.84?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

No
    Galvasean wrote: »
    Because you think the minimum wage would actually be lowered to €1.84?

Most likely because of the compulsory abortions

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

No
    Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Most likely because of the compulsory abortions
    Could be to avoid the enactment of the proposed Logan's Run Bill in section IX, subsection (iii) of the Treaty. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

No
    robindch wrote: »
    Last year's result -- see my previous posting -- was fundamentally undemocratic since the majority of people did not vote upon the issue at hand, and instead voted, say, to give Brian Cowen a bloody nose (huh?), because they didn't like FF's attitude to taxi drivers, thought that there was some merit to Declan Ganley's rubbish, didn't like what Shell is doing in Mayo, objected to abortion or euthanasia, and so on and so on.

The number of people who read the Treaty, tried to understand it in context, and voted upon its merits seem to have been a depressingly small minority.

"The best argument you can make against democracy is a five minute conversation with an average voter." -Winston Churchill

Seems appropriate sometimes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

No
    Before Lisbon 1, I read up on everything I could, but in the back of my mind, a strong reason for my Yes vote was the realisation that our vote is pretty much a formality. It's not 'democracy at work' - we are a very small and insignificant country, so if we don't play ball, we WILL be eventually told to shag off. Simple as. We think we have power..well, we don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

No
    Before Lisbon 1, I read up on everything I could, but in the back of my mind, a strong reason for my Yes vote was the realisation that our vote is pretty much a formality. It's not 'democracy at work' - we are a very small and insignificant country, so if we don't play ball, we WILL be eventually told to shag off. Simple as. We think we have power..well, we don't.

If you were on a football team and you didn't play ball, you would eventually be told to shag off as well. Same goes for any organisation, if you don't want to constructively partake in the activities of the organisation and are just going to be a burden, the organisation should expel you. Identify one organisation were this is not the case.

Advertisement