Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are country folk a generation behind the townies?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Rural living isn't what it used to be in some areas.

This is what some people might see of 09 rural living.

The unbelievable fear and loathing of the cities that people know nothing about. The littering from cars windows, the lucazade, the begrudgery, the keeping up with the Jones's, they have a ride on mower, we must have one too, massive massive horrible houses with eight bathrooms and five bedrooms. The denial of thousands of suicides, the awful depression young people live with, the secrecy (tell no-one), the animal cruelty (ah, sure he's old), rules of the road ignorance, drunk and rude driving, TDI's, TDI's and TDI's and the fabled GTTDI's! Farmers constant moaning, polluted rivers from farmers and overflowing septic tanks, killing each other on the roads, insular attitudes, unwelcoming to "blow ins", obsession with land, family feuds, obsession with living "in the country", but never getting out "in the country". Burn outs and doughnuts, shooting crows from the car window... Drive, never ever walk anywhere. Some would say cities are the new sanctuary, more wildlife, more community (in some areas), more life.

I don't know where it went wrong, I guess the tiger pushed up competition between people.

Please don't take this as a generalisation of rural living. I have been to plenty of rural havens, where community spirit is abundant. I just think some things are overlooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭cathysworld

Whats your problem with "Lucazade"? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Choice One

Country folk \ townies ?
    Do people living in country towns consider themselves more advanced than the hillbillies on the farm?

This is how it works:

There`s Dublin i.e. townies , then there`s everywere else i.e. country folk.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Choice One wrote: »
    Country folk \ townies ?
    Do people living in country towns consider themselves more advanced than the hillbillies on the farm?

This is how it works:

There`s Dublin i.e. townies , then there`s everywere else i.e. country folk.:D

dont be silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

lightening wrote: »

that was before the recession, mang

things are going back to normal now.

• Advertisement

I've got my Pilates tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 28,896 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

All people from Dublin are Junkies!!!

Wait.... Is this not the ridiculous stereotype thread?

whats that??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,896 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I think he meant Pirates.

ARRRRRRRRR!!!

Quazzie wrote: »
    I think he meant Pirates.

ARRRRRRRRR!!!

arrrrrrr right..thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Choice One

think they meant plates , they wont be eatin off the floor tonight!

So cathy either has a pirate tonight or is not eating off the floor....:confused:

Well I'm a she but I meant that ad where the guy goes "Ive got my Pilates tonight"

Ok it was a joke that went horribly wrong. leave me alone

Well I'm a she but I meant that ad where the guy goes "Ive got my Pilates tonight"

Ok it was a joke that went horribly wrong. leave me alone

Sooo you dont have either? :confused: plates or pirates?

DamoDLK wrote: »
    Sooo you dont have either? :confused: plates or pirates?

Begorrah what would you want with either of those fancy yokes

Begorrah what would you want with either of those fancy yokes

:rolleyes: thats what i was thinking!lol

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Cianos wrote: »
    Almost everything originates in cities (including agriculture)
    Of course it did, the only reason they had to move out to the country was because Cows wouldn't eat tarmac and heroin needles.

Manufacturing doesn't even take place in urban centres. All that happens in urban centres is consultants and other waster types invent ways of making things more expensive or "adding value" as they like to call it. Then they import other cultures or use country culture to make themselves seem less hollow and vain.

And death notices rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

lightening wrote: »

The unbelievable fear and loathing of the cities that people know nothing about. The littering from cars windows, the lucazade, the begrudgery, the keeping up with the Jones's, they have a ride on mower, we must have one too, massive massive horrible houses with eight bathrooms and five bedrooms. The denial of thousands of suicides, the awful depression young people live with, the secrecy (tell no-one), the animal cruelty (ah, sure he's old), rules of the road ignorance, drunk and rude driving, TDI's, TDI's and TDI's and the fabled GTTDI's! Farmers constant moaning, polluted rivers from farmers and overflowing septic tanks, killing each other on the roads, insular attitudes, unwelcoming to "blow ins", obsession with land, family feuds, obsession with living "in the country", but never getting out "in the country". Burn outs and doughnuts, shooting crows from the car window... Drive, never ever walk anywhere. Some would say cities are the new sanctuary, more wildlife, more community (in some areas), more life.

I don't know where it went wrong, I guess the tiger pushed up competition between people.

Please don't take this as a generalisation of rural living. I have been to plenty of rural havens, where community spirit is abundant. I just think some things are overlooked.

Please tell me what utopian metropolis you live in that has none of the above problems?

What about the hundreds of deaths evey year as a result of heroin use that don't get reported?
    What about rampant illiteracy and levels of low education among vast areas of cities that drag the national averages down to 3rd world levels?

We dont bother our arses with ride on mowers, we just use the tractor. Anyone using a ride on is just a re settled urbanite.
    Most of the Fly tipping is done by social spongeing townie pricks who wont pay their bin charges.

And as for more wildlife???? You weren't basing this opinion on a walk through a section of the phoenix park by any chance? And there was you thinking that ireland had native Rhinos:rolleyes:

What have ye got other than rats and pigeons? Just coz you saw a fox near the luas does not mean there's more wildlife.

Going back to the OP there does seem to be a generation gap when you compare our parents to your grandparents but thats because we dont usualy become grandparents in our 30's.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Please tell me what utopian metropolis you live in that has none of the above problems?

Well its obviously Carrickmacross....?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Cuverdindust

brummytom wrote: »
    It's probably just because there's a much stronger sense of community in smaller towns than larger ones.

Your grandparents might have experience the same community feel in somewhere like Dublin when they were younger, but that's now been lost?

I live just outside of Birmingham now, in a fairly small city, and there's much more of a community than there was in Brum- street BBQs and Christmas meals, more outrage at things like murders etc.

I dunno.. everywhere's different, it doesn't mean the people should be judged or looked down on because of it though

Totally agree. Its not that they are behind the times. They are well aware of the latest trends, beliefs, changes but they just don't go in for Keeping up with the Jones's. I'm a relocated 'simple county girl' and my basic values have never changed, thanks to my rural upbringing.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    its because they are nosey bas*ards thats why, the woman my mother works for does this crap and wants to know all the gossip about everyone, rings up a couple of times a day too :mad:

Its called 'Giving a damn about your neighbours' Urban dwellers stoop lovingly over a dying corpse to check out the shoes they're wearing!

Stee wrote: »
    Yep, i saw a guy in Eclipse jeans on a farm in Roscommon last week

You think he should wear the latest Laboutans while mucking out the yard?

Carry his sangers in a Prada lunchbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

What about the hundreds of deaths evey year as a result of heroin use that don't get reported?

There are plenty of drug programs out there. Suicide is a much much bigger problem.

BDubliner wrote: »
    I was passing through Mullingar last week and saw that at the local cinema the film 'Into the West' is coming soon.:eek:

Hrr Hrr Hrr Did ya stop to see it? So you could submit a film review to the Times about the latest fantasy flick depicting spectacular scenery that supposedly exists outside of Dublinia??:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

He was the extremely flexible guy who crucified the baby jebus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

ScumLord wrote: »
    Of course it did, the only reason they had to move out to the country was because Cows wouldn't eat tarmac and heroin needles.

Manufacturing doesn't even take place in urban centres. All that happens in urban centres is consultants and other waster types invent ways of making things more expensive or "adding value" as they like to call it. Then they import other cultures or use country culture to make themselves seem less hollow and vain.

What are you actually talking about? Manufacturing begins in cities but is often eventually moved out to the country because of larger production demands needing more factory/storage space which is in very short supply in urban centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Dankoozy wrote: »
    at least culchies interact with actual people when they are talking **** and actually get hammered rather than having one drink and putting on some pretend drunken pose while their only friend takes a slew of overexposed pictures in order to pass off the idea that they live a fun and adventurous lifestyle to their 500 e-friends.

I think you'll find that that's something you want to beleive rather than being true. Anyway, mindless who's-sleeping-with-who **** is backward regardless of where it happens. I still stand by the Suday World comment.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

there does seem to be a generation gap when you compare our parents to your grandparents but thats because we dont usualy become grandparents in our 30's.

You The Man!!!:D Well I've gotta brand new combine harvester and I'll give you the key!! XXX

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

the only difference between country folk and townies is this: when the breakfast roll song comes on........

country folk hit the dance floor

townies leave the building

thats it. next time you're at a wedding, 21st, 40th, whatever, if there is a good mix of people there this will be the dividing line

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Behind?

I would think, from the neighbourly way most country people treat each other, compared to the Hobbesian conditions people experience in cities, that people who move into urban areas actually regress back down the scale of social evolution.

Advertisement