Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are country folk a generation behind the townies?

Options
  • 01-09-2009 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭

I have noticed, since 'going rural' that many of the natives seem a generation behind urban dwellers in the same age group.

Country dwellers of my parents age are much closer to my grandparents than they are to my parents in terms of belief, musical taste, attitudes to societal changes etc.

Furthermore, the country folk are much more obsessed with listening to the death notices on the radio and spending long hours talking about who has cancer etc.

Has anyone else noticed this, if so, what do you think are the main reasons?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Yep, i saw a guy in Eclipse jeans on a farm in Roscommon last week

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

It's probably just because there's a much stronger sense of community in smaller towns than larger ones.

Your grandparents might have experience the same community feel in somewhere like Dublin when they were younger, but that's now been lost?

I live just outside of Birmingham now, in a fairly small city, and there's much more of a community than there was in Brum- street BBQs and Christmas meals, more outrage at things like murders etc.

I dunno.. everywhere's different, it doesn't mean the people should be judged or looked down on because of it though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Long Onion wrote: »

Furthermore, the country folk are much more obsessed with listening to the death notices on the radio and spending long hours talking about who has cancer etc.

its because they are nosey bas*ards thats why, the woman my mother works for does this crap and wants to know all the gossip about everyone, rings up a couple of times a day too :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭bullpost

As opposed to City folk who are much more obsessed with watching Big Brother on their HD tv's and spending long hours talking about property prices etc. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭cathysworld

Country folk are more laidback and easygoing as life is mostly less stressful in the country, not as much competition to be up to date with the latest fashions etc

What do you think city folk talk about for long hours? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

LOL BOGGERS LOL DERPA DERPA DERP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

It makes me think though that I am glad I wasn't raised in a rural community.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

WTF????? We spawned ye cunts. We're a generation ahead. Do the fukkin math

• Registered Users Posts: 33,269 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

A centruy more like. Until they top reading the Sunday World, they always will be.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭BDubliner

I was passing through Mullingar last week and saw that at the local cinema the film 'Into the West' is coming soon.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

brummytom wrote: »

I live just outside of Birmingham now, in a fairly small city, and there's much more of a community than there was in Brum- street BBQs and Christmas meals, more outrage at things like murders etc.

I suspect your small city would be a fecking metropolis here - Dundalk at the very least ;)

mike65 wrote: »
    I suspect your small city would be a fecking metropolis here - Dundalk at the very least ;)

Thought Dundalk was an independant state tbh

BDubliner wrote: »
    I was passing through Mullingar last week and saw that at the local cinema the film 'Into the West' is coming soon.:eek:

Mullingar is a town so your rippin the piss out of your own type. How's the methadone programme going for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

mike65 wrote: »

Erm it's about 31,000 people here according to google

Birmingham's 2 million - that's like half the population of Ireland isn't it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Almost everything originates in cities (including agriculture) so it's a given that country folk are always behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Thought Dundalk was an independant state tbh

No its in the FREE State:P easy mistake though - some people thought that because it was north of the Boyne it was NI...

Man about Dog (the film) - didn't help this idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,025 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

In recent decades, the gap has closed a bit, and there's not as much of a threat to the time/space continuum as there was.

I'm alarmed at some of the threads on this forum, as quite a few country-folk still think that the Tans are here. It's bad enough having to listen to De Valera talking about the Emergency on the crystal set all day, down in Kerry, without having to put up with that stuff as well.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Dundalk is a utopian metropolis. It's probably the main exception to the rule that states "Urban living is rubbish"

Everybody knows that country life is way better than living in a filthy city. Whenever Pighead gets confused about an argument he tends to turn to the medium of music to help him figure out some answers.

Songs about living in the city:
    We gotta get out of this place by The Animals

Songs about living in the country:
    Thanks God I'm a Country Boy by John Denver.

Game over, country wins.

Cianos wrote: »
    Almost everything originates in cities (including agriculture) so it's a given that country folk are always behind.

Bullsh1t although traditionally manufactured in the country seems to be coming from a lot of city folk these days!!

I live in the country-I am not married to my brother, I don't own a tractor and I don't wear dungarees!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Allowing for the urban sprawl into what was once the country, those country folk must be catching up quickly .

• Advertisement

Cianos wrote: »
    Unfortunately for your argument the towns themselves were first built in the countryside by country people.

They were designed as places we could send our Idiots, Loudmouths, Scumbags, Degenerates and other low classes of undesireables. We set up a system called The Dole for Townies to be able to survive off as we knew that they could never find a job themselves.

The plan has been working tremenduously well for thousands of years leaving us to live our lives in relative peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

I have noticed, since 'going rural' that many of the natives seem a generation behind urban dwellers in the same age group.

Country dwellers of my parents age are much closer to my grandparents than they are to my parents in terms of belief, musical taste, attitudes to societal changes etc.

what you're saying is a load of bee ess. i could say that city folk are much more obsessed with spending hours stuck in a corner of their filthy 1-bedroom apartment with a laptop on Facebook and other anti-social networking sites posting rumours about who is shagging who while at the same time doing their to let on they live an 'interesting' life. but i won't because that would be an unfair generalisation

• Registered Users Posts: 33,269 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Dankoozy wrote: »
    what you're saying is a load of bee ess. i could say that city folk are much more obsessed with spending hours stuck in a corner of their filthy 1-bedroom apartment with a laptop on Facebook and other anti-social networking sites posting rumours about who is shagging who while at the same time doing their to let on they live an 'interesting' life. but i won't because that would be an unfair generalisation

Wait... you talking urban or rural... because if you leave out the facebook and replace it with a sawdust-covered bar, then you've got the rural element to a tee.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Dankoozy wrote: »

Why do you treat the two issues as being mutually exclusive. Nowhere did I say that what urbanites get up to is in anyway superior to rural dwellers, many people would think that the values of a generation past are worth holding on to.

I simply asked the question did anyone else think that the rural community is a generation behind the urban one?

Why do you treat the two issues as being mutually exclusive. Nowhere did I say that what urbanites get up to is in anyway superior to rural dwellers, many people would think that the values of a generation past are worth holding on to.

I simply asked the question did anyone else think that the rural community is a generation behind the urban one?

You said country people obsess about the death notices and talk about who has got cancer for hours! Thats not exactly what springs to mind when I think of "a value" worth holding onto

I think that people in the country have more time for a chat and while it may come across as nosy when they ask you who you are it might be just friendliness or trying to open a conversation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Wait... you talking urban or rural... because if you leave out the facebook and replace it with a sawdust-covered bar, then you've got the rural element to a tee.

at least culchies interact with actual people when they are talking **** and actually get hammered rather than having one drink and putting on some pretend drunken pose while their only friend takes a slew of overexposed pictures in order to pass off the idea that they live a fun and adventurous lifestyle to their 500 e-friends.

i don't think there is any such difference between culchies and townies because there is a huge amount of diversity these days. you will find plenty of people who listen to death notices in the city too.

just like you will have people in the country who don't know their neighbours, refuse to talk to anyone they don't already know, cannot change their own lightbulbs and start to freak out if the power goes for 5 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Unfortunately for your argument the towns themselves were first built in the countryside by country people.

Before towns or villages, there weren't 'country people' and 'city people', just 'people'. Like it or not we're all from the same stock. Just, when cities came in to being things started getting just a tad more advanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Choice One

Just mention the name 'Bryan Adams' and watch them go mental!

You said country people obsess about the death notices and talk about who has got cancer for hours! Thats not exactly what springs to mind when I think of "a value" worth holding onto

I think that people in the country have more time for a chat and while it may come across as nosy when they ask you who you are it might be just friendliness or trying to open a conversation

It depends on why you think they may be obsessing/talking, it may be out of genuine concern/sympathy - i didn't comment on the reasons, just an observation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

From cork city but date a pure country girl.
    Their not a generation behind at all. Its just they have a much stronger sense of community due to the fact that most families have been in the area for generations. There are positives and negatives to that but its nothing to do with being behind or ahead of us, just different.
    However they do smell.....

Advertisement