Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2, Mobile broadband - Students

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭karma403

I have just bought the 3 broadband :(

The question is should I return it and swap to o2 to save €120..?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

WHAT?!!!

I have had O2 broadband for the last year and pay 19.99 a month... Can I change now?!!

Are you a student?

Cant really see that working.. You'd have to cancel your current subscription and hope that they would let you sign up again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

karma403 wrote: »

Yes,yes and yes...

If you want to see how "great" 3's broadband is just have a look at this :

Three Mobile Broadband -THE PROBLEMS M-M-MEGATHREAD!

almost 7,000 replies is a pretty good indication to the crap service 3 provide.

O2 is cheaper with the student deal and much better from what I've read

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Are you a student?

Cant really see that working.. You'd have to cancel your current subscription and hope that they would let you sign up again

I am indeed! Sure, I might drop in and see what they say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mac09

benzene wrote: »
    O2 and HEA have a special offer for third level students, €10 a month with a 10GB limit (normally €19.99 a month).

http://tiny.cc/1Pqok

:)

does anyone know what speed this is at?

I've checked on the o2 website and the modem they are offering with the student deal is the cheaper one.. do you think that matters?

mac09 wrote: »
    does anyone know what speed this is at?

This page shows the modem details. It's the E 1752

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Broadband/Mobile+Broadband/Buy+Broadband+now/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Yea it is a good offer - it has been on for over a year though - but they're advertising it again because it is the back to college season. I works quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Just to let you know I'd take those speeds with a rather large pinch of salt :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Do they take a copy of your student id? Or do you just show it to them and they take your details?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

cronos wrote: »
    Do they take a copy of your student id? Or do you just show it to them and they take your details?

They usually photocopy your Driving Licence/ Passport or whatever when you're signing up to any bill, so I'd imagine they'll probably photocopy your student ID also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭danois

Would any one be able to tell me it says ***All O2 Broadband Plans have a data usage limit and a charge of 2c per MB applies for all usage in excess of the data usage limit on your plan.*** the monthly allowance is 10GB.

I am online for 4 to 5 hours most days mostly on here and facebook dont watch movies online or do much gaming. What are the chances of going over this allowance??? Is this a big amount i have no idea.

thanks and sorry if its a silly question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

danois wrote: »
    Would any one be able to tell me it says ***All O2 Broadband Plans have a data usage limit and a charge of 2c per MB applies for all usage in excess of the data usage limit on your plan.*** the monthly allowance is 10GB.

I am online for 4 to 5 hours most days mostly on here and facebook dont watch movies online or do much gaming. What are the chances of going over this allowance??? Is this a big amount i have no idea.

thanks and sorry if its a silly question

If you dont watch videos or listen to music or download torrents then I doubt you would go over a 10 GB limit or even come that close to the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,906 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

live streaming or youtube will eat up that 10gb allowance quickly....

watching 10 youtube videos is like downloading 10 songs...

but if you're just browsing and posting on forums, sending emails etc... there's nothing to worry about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭danois

Great thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 21,139 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Do you have to be an O2(phone) customer to get this? Cos I might get it if the house doesn't have broadband.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

You migt not be able to. After you buy the modem you have 14 days to return it. After this you'll be in a 12 month contract with 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

just an aside, this is available to education staff as well as students...not sure about 2nd level but maybe your teacher friends could get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

You have to with a HEANET institute, they are listed on the site, they are all third level I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

poochiem wrote: »
    just an aside, this is available to education staff as well as students...not sure about 2nd level but maybe your teacher friends could get it.

As said above it's only with HEANET bodies - all listed on their site.

2nd level not included but staff/faculty from the selected 3rd level institutions are included.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I took up on this offer in January, back then it was €13 a month which is still brilliant! €9.99 even better now!

I have to say it's a great service. I was living in an apartment in Dublin kinda half way below ground and I always had a decent signal and decent speeds. It was grand for streaming video and music.

I never once broke the 10GB limit and some months I'd even leave a few torrents downloading overnight to make use of what was available. This is after using it for browsing every evening so the limit is generous enough.

I wouldn't worry about the modem, I have the E220 dongle which is the one with the short USB cable and the modem hanging off it. One of the most basic...

I've moved back home now and I've 2 months left on the contract so I'm going to try cancel it... hopefully they'll let me.

karma403 - just bring it back and say it's no good in your area/apartment. You have a certain period of time to check if you get a good enough signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Friend uses this in Limerick(near SCR), never much faster than ISDN and drops out often enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

M450 wrote: »
    I took up on this offer in January, back then it was €13 a month which is still brilliant! €9.99 even better now!

I have to say it's a great service. I was living in an apartment in Dublin kinda half way below ground and I always had a decent signal and decent speeds. It was grand for streaming video and music.

I never once broke the 10GB limit and some months I'd even leave a few torrents downloading overnight to make use of what was available. This is after using it for browsing every evening so the limit is generous enough.

I wouldn't worry about the modem, I have the E220 dongle which is the one with the short USB cable and the modem hanging off it. One of the most basic...

I've moved back home now and I've 2 months left on the contract so I'm going to try cancel it... hopefully they'll let me.

karma403 - just bring it back and say it's no good in your area/apartment. You have a certain period of time to check if you get a good enough signal.

They will, you'll have to pay the remaining €26 either way though. Better off waiting till the contract's up or you'll have problems if you ever wanna start another one down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

M450 wrote: »

Would you sell the remaining 2 months? I'd be interested if you would.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Just though Id revive this post as I here O2 and the HEA are going to be offering this deal again for the 10/11 academic year.
    I signed up last year on a 12 month contact at €9.99 for 10gb per month. In February I went over by ~3gb. I was unable to pay, my account was suspended and O2 came after me for the amount of €225 for one month!? Thats €215 for 3gb!?!? A couple of months later I discovered that O2 Telifonica had passed my account on to a debt collecting agency!?
    While I understand that I signed a contact and that my credit rating will be effected if I don't pay, I really don't think this is fair considering that most other companies will wave a first time offense like this. As a graduate of a degree in applied physics and a postgrad in software development I understand how these systems work on a hardware level and I can see no justification for such a charge.
    So in short, ya it seems like a good deal but don't dare go over your limit and don't expect any sympathy form O2 if you do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Just though Id revive this post as I here O2 and the HEA are going to be offering this deal again for the 10/11 academic year.
    I signed up last year on a 12 month contact at €9.99 for 10gb per month. In February I went over by ~3gb. I was unable to pay, my account was suspended and O2 came after me for the amount of €225 for one month!? Thats €215 for 3gb!?!? A couple of months later I discovered that O2 Telifonica had passed my account on to a debt collecting agency!?
    While I understand that I signed a contact and that my credit rating will be effected if I don't pay, I really don't think this is fair considering that most other companies will wave a first time offense like this. As a graduate of a degree in applied physics and a postgrad in software development I understand how these systems work on a hardware level and I can see no justification for such a charge.
    So in short, ya it seems like a good deal but don't dare go over your limit and don't expect any sympathy form O2 if you do.

I hope you didn't pay it. Too many people get bullied by big corporations and banks these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I hope you didn't pay it. Too many people get bullied by big corporations and banks these days.

Hang on a minute, he signed a contract (which is a legally enforceable document), refused to pay a bill and now you think he's in the right?

Thats bad advice full stop. If you read the T&Cs of the contract you'll see that it says you must pay X amount for the GBs you use over your monthly limit. If oneofakind wasn't prepared to do that then why sign the contract?

Oneofakind32 I'd advise you to pay up and pay up quick. If you want you'll 'get away' with not paying the bill. this is purely because its not worth their while finanacially to pursue you for 225 quid through the courts- they'll send out nasty letters but its unlikely they'll get the sherriff's office out to confiscate 225 quids worth of your current possessions. (they are within their rights to do this though if they choose. But more likely is that a debt collection agency has paid O2 for your debt and if you don't pay it then they'll be out of pocket. They won't be too impressed about this are they are a business like any other. So if you don't pay up they'll hit you another way- report you to the Irish Credit Bureau and get a black mark put against your name. Every bank in the country uses the ICB and if you are on their blacklist then you will find it hard to get a loan/mortgage from a bank in this country. You're a student so probably don't want to buy a house now but you may well do in the future.

You should ring the deby collectors- there might be some room for negiotation if they think you'll pay.

Advertisement