Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hendo: good guy or sumcbag?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

What are you on about?!

When you're in the middle of fight, and have half of a second to react, there is nothing going through your mind.

Nothing.

He hit Bisping, and Bisping went down.
    How often have fighters been badly, badly, rocked, and recovered.
    It usually happens at least once a ppv if not more.
    You have to make sure of the fight, or it can cost you big time.

I didn't see Hendo knock out Bisping, stop, go down and check his pulse, hold up a few fingers for him, and then throw the second.
    Hendo hit the right, and Bisping went down, he had already thrown the second before the ref moved.
    Before Bisping had come to rest.
    Before he knew Bisping was out.
    He then got up and walked away.

If you listened to Hendos post fight interview, you'll see he says that he didn't remember what happened before the first right.
    As in he didn't know how he had set up the knock out.

So you think that while he can't remember what happened just before the KO, he knew what was happening and made a reasoned decision on the medical state of another man, and decided to hit a man while he was out, in the fraction of a second between one punch and the second?!!!!!!:confused:

Hendo came out and made a stupid joke about shutting Bisping up.
    He has said that countless times.
    Hendo did exactly what every fighter does.
    He tries to finish the fight.

Bisping, countless MMA fighters, commentators, Hendo, refferees, and officials have all said there is nothing wrong with what Hendo did.

The English media, and the usuals over on Sherdog have made a complete mountain out of a molehill.

In fairness to Bisping, a fighter who's personality I really don't like, he's come out of all this very well, by saying the exact truth.

He made no excuses.
    He didn't do a BJ and cry.
    He said the better fighter won, and that's that.

Simples.

tl;dr

consultech wrote: »
    tl;dr

If you didnt read it then don't post a reply. Surely resorting to this kind of stupidity means you have no rebuttal to his well constructed point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

I'm sorry, but on quite a few occasions I've hit somebody and thought they were out, or hit somebody and thought they were okay, only to be proven wrong.
    I remeber one time thinking that I barely cuffed a guy with a high kick, only to have him colapse and spend the next five minutes seeing double.

And that was just sparring.
    UFC 100 = Slightly different!

Maybe you have magic hands, but it's not something the rest of us are gifted with.
    When you've been fighting as long as Hendo, I'm sure you realise a simple fact.
    Until the fight is over, take nothing for granted.

When you're fighting in one of the most personal fights of your career, in the biggest MMA event of all time, with thousands shouting all around you, millions watching all over the world, and months and months of work, pr, and bad blood in your head, I think it would be impossible to know for certain whether the fight was over or not.

Thats right about sums its up.

ever take the weekends fight, randy was rocked a few times and Nogueira when in evertime to try and finish the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

tl;dr
    If you didnt read it then don't post a reply. Surely resorting to this kind of stupidity means you have no rebuttal to his well constructed point?

Excuse my ignorance, but what does "tl;dr" mean?.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cletus

Excuse my ignorance, but what does "tl;dr" mean?.

too long; didnt read (stupit text/l33t speak)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Maybe you have magic hands, but it's not something the rest of us are gifted with.

Well you know what you can do with that type of reply - stick it back in the hole it came from.
    you've been fighting as long as Hendo, I'm sure you realise a simple fact.
    Until the fight is over, take nothing for granted.

I'd have given Hendo the credit to know that punch was an instant KO, if he didn't then I'd substitute "scumbag" with 'Muppet'.

I don't think Hendo had any real intent to cause serious harm to Bisping with the follow through, but I won't believe for a moment that he didn't realize Bisping was KO'd. .

Even with my opinion that Hendo knew full well what he was doing, I truely don't think he was a scumbag for doing it - but don't try tell me he was ignorant of the fact that Bisping was out and the follow through was not retribution - but is the UFC and an audience of millions the place to do that?.

Don't get me wrong on something here, open your mouth & throw around the attitude like Bisping did in TUF and you deserve to be thought a lession - I think most of us have witnessed similar in training - the mouth piece being taken down a peg or two, but in the UFC and to a completely unconcience opponent!.. He crossed a line in the sand, but hey its only my opinion and I'm not even a huge UFC fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Well you know what you can do with that type of reply - stick it back in the hole it came from.

I'd have given Hendo the credit to know that punch was an instant KO, if he didn't then I'd substitute "scumbag" with 'Muppet'.

I don't think Hendo had any real intent to cause serious harm to Bisping with the follow through, but I won't believe for a moment that he didn't realize Bisping was KO'd. .

Even with my opinion that Hendo knew full well what he was doing, I truely don't think he was a scumbag for doing it - but don't try tell me he was ignorant of the fact that Bisping was out and the follow through was not retribution - but is the UFC and an audience of millions the place to do that?.

Don't get me wrong on something here, open your mouth & throw around the attitude like Bisping did in TUF and you deserve to be thought a lession - I think most of us have witnessed similar in training - the mouth piece being taken down a peg or two, but in the UFC and to a completely unconcience opponent!.. He crossed a line in the sand, but hey its only my opinion and I'm not even a huge UFC fan.

I'm not trying to be insulting here, but if you seriously have the ability to know if anybody you hit is out cold, in less than a second, then you're one of a kind.

No body else does.

Everybody is different.
    Everyone can take a punch to different degrees.
    There are plenty of people out there who could have taken that punch.
    Bisping is a big middleweight, and he most deffinately can take a punch.

Lets be honest here mate.
    Hendo didn't see the punch 25 times, in slow motion, from a half dozen angles.
    He didn't know how it landed.
    He didn't know Bispings jaw was prone.
    He didn't know Bisping had his weight badly disributed.
    He didn't know just how well he connected.
    He wasn't even looking at Bisping when he threw the punch.

He threw the punch, and knew he had hurt Bisping, but there was no way in hell he could have known if Bisping was out.
    He could have guessed.
    He could have surmissed.
    He could have thought.
    But not known.

Bisping had never been knocked out before, and he had fought a couple of fighters with power in their hands (Hamill, Evans, Leben).

Look at it again in slow motion.

Note the simple facts.

- Hendo was not looking at Bisping at all, and didn't see the connection.

- Hendo was in the air for the second punch before Bisping came to rest on the ground.

- Bispings hands were still up when Hendo launched the final punch, they weren't flat by his sides and from Hendo's point of view, in the fraction of a second Hendo had to make his mind up, Bisping could easily have been only rocked, and defending himself.

- Bispings right foot was in the air when the punch landed, Hendo didn't know this.

- Hendo had thrown that exact punch at least two dozen times already in this fight.

- Bisping is a fighter who had never even been properly rocked before.

- Most importantly, this all happened in a fraction of a second.

henderson-bisping-gif.gif

Hendo may have thought Bisping was out, but he only had a fraction of the info that you seem to have given him credit for, and in all honesty had only an idea of Bispings state.

If you want to say that Hendo definately knew, then I'm sorry, enjoy your opinion, I've nothing more I can say really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

What if there is no tap, and a fighter is out and convulsing (which happened to be the case with Leben afterwards) though? It's up to Lavigne to use his experience in there; like would anyone who has watched MMA for 5+ minutes think Leben was getting out of that? - Let alone someone with Lavigne's experience. I'm probably making more of it than is warranted, but Rogan didn't like it at all either, and he's usually well on-point.

Well, I didn't think Randy was getting out of the choke in round one either, and I'm very glad the referee (Mario Yamasaki, if memory serves) didn't jump to conclusions. Perhaps you disagree?

I'm probably making more of it than is warranted, but Rogan didn't like it at all either, and he's usually well on-point.

The Leben tap was hard to call as fighters are instructed to tap three times, he tapped twice then his legs and hips went up as if he was trying to scramble out. Good refereeing IMO and unfortunate that he ended up unconscious.

Also, just because Rogan says something doesn't mean it's right or wrong. I like Joe, he's a great commentator and was sound to me when I met him, but he's prone to bias and the odd bad call himself, most recently declaring that Alan Belcher was ROBBED when he fought Sexyama! I have yet to talk to someone who thought Belcher won that fight. As for his opinion on the choke, well, like I said, myself and those I watched the fight with thought Leben was about to try to explode out of it for a split second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

:rolleyes: @ this thread. As has been pointed out a millions times already, it was a split second reaction, the same that happens all the time. The guys goes down, you follow up and finish. As has already been pointed out quiet a few times, Rogan asked a stupid question and got a stupid answer.

Seriously, I would be shocked if any of those giving out about Henderson on this thread have ever been in an MMA fight themselves, never mind been in a similar situation. When I knocked out Micky Young I followed up and hit him again whilst he was basically sitting in the corner of the ring. Those that make me a scumbag too???

I'm just after really realising how annoying keyword warriors and armchair experts are! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Oh for **** sake, lets stop ****ing polarising people and expecting them to be more than we are.

Anyone who has posted in this thread, myself included, has had moments where we were less than gentlemen, in either our thoughts or our actions.

Grab a scale and put everything that Hendo has done well for the sport on one side, and everything he has done poorly on the other and see which side heavier.

Advice for life : Stop expecting people to be things that you will never be yourself.

Hendo is neither a good guy, nor a scumbag, he's the same tangle of choices that you are OP.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

The Leben tap was hard to call as fighters are instructed to tap three times, he tapped twice then his legs and hips went up as if he was trying to scramble out. Good refereeing IMO and unfortunate that he ended up unconscious.

Also, just because Rogan says something doesn't mean it's right or wrong. I like Joe, he's a great commentator and was sound to me when I met him, but he's prone to bias and the odd bad call himself, most recently declaring that Alan Belcher was ROBBED when he fought Sexyama! I have yet to talk to someone who thought Belcher won that fight. As for his opinion on the choke, well, like I said, myself and those I watched the fight with thought Leben was about to try to explode out of it for a split second.

Sorry to go off on a tangent here, but got to agree on the Belcher/Sexyama thing.

It was close, but definately a loss for Belcher.

Advertisement