Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thyroid problems

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

My TSH is 32... I am now on 350mg of Elthroxin a day. My endo thinks because my T4 is normal (which it is) its 11 I am fine.... with a TSH of 32. He just up and ups the elthroxin. My GP is great but when the endo is saying I'm fine its hard for him: he is sending me to different endo in new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

cyning wrote: »
    My TSH is 32... I am now on 350mg of Elthroxin a day. My endo thinks because my T4 is normal (which it is) its 11 I am fine.... with a TSH of 32. He just up and ups the elthroxin. My GP is great but when the endo is saying I'm fine its hard for him: he is sending me to different endo in new year.
    A FT4 of 11 is on the bottom end of normal as I recall.

Turquoise wrote: »
    I read that for some people, eltroxin isn't enough. It's something along the lines of this (apologies to anyone who actually knows what they're talking about, I can't remember exactly what I read!): Eltroxin contains T4, which the body can then convert to T3. Thyroid levels show up normal, but some peoples body's can't convert the T4 properly to T3. There is some medication available, I *think* it's called Armour, which contains both T3 and T4. I gather it's not as popular here as it is in the States though, I think only certain doctors will prescribe it. Hang on...I read on some website...let me see...

I'll post again.
    I read a study which said that 58% of those who had hyperthyroidism and then had something done to their thyroid (can't remember if it was have it zapped and/or thyroidectomy), had symptoms of hypothyroidism on T4 only. Another way of getting T3 is simply having a doctor prescribe it. I got it from a local pharmacy. They might have to order it in but given that hypothyroid problems aren't usually "urgent", a little wait shouldn't necessarily be a problem (I've no qualifications, just a ME/CFS patient who read a bit).

thyroxine=T4 triiodothyronine=T3
    Effects of thyroxine as compared with thyroxine plus triiodothyronine in patients with hypothyroidism.

N Engl J Med. 1999 Feb 11;340(6):424-9.

Bunevicius R, Kazanavicius G, Zalinkevicius R, Prange AJ Jr.

Institute of Endocrinology, Kaunas Medical University, Lithuania.

BACKGROUND: Patients with hypothyroidism are usually treated with thyroxine (levothyroxine) only, although both thyroxine and triiodothyronine are secreted by the normal thyroid gland. Whether thyroid secretion of triiodothyronine is physiologically important is unknown.

METHODS: We compared the effects of thyroxine alone with those of thyroxine plus triiodothyronine (liothyronine) in 33 patients with hypothyroidism. Each patient was studied for two five-week periods. During one period, the patient received his or her usual dose of thyroxine. During the other, the patient received a regimen in which 50 microg of the usual dose of thyroxine was replaced by 12.5 microg of triiodothyronine. The order in which each patient received the two treatments was randomized. Biochemical, physiologic, and psychological tests were performed at the end of each treatment period.

RESULTS: The patients had lower serum free and total thyroxine concentrations and higher serum total triiodothyronine concentrations after treatment with thyroxine plus triiodothyronine than after thyroxine alone, whereas the serum thyrotropin concentrations were similar after both treatments. Among 17 scores on tests of cognitive performance and assessments of mood, 6 were better or closer to normal after treatment with thyroxine plus triiodothyronine. Similarly, among 15 visual-analogue scales used to indicate mood and physical status, the results for 10 were significantly better after treatment with thyroxine plus triiodothyronine. The pulse rate and serum sex hormone-binding globulin concentrations were slightly higher after treatment with thyroxine plus triiodothyronine, but blood pressure, serum lipid concentrations, and the results of neurophysiologic tests were similar after the two treatments.

CONCLUSIONS: In patients with hypothyroidism, partial substitution of triiodothyronine for thyroxine may improve mood and neuropsychological function; this finding suggests a specific effect of the triiodothyronine normally secreted by the thyroid gland.

PMID: 9971866 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

Was diagnosed with Hashimotos' hypothyroidism in 2007, was put on Eltroxin and highest I ever took was 125mcg. Had to stop taking it a couple of months ago because i got really severe symptoms usually associated with overactivity (heart palpitations, dizziness, headaches, high pulse). Being tested now for adrenal insufficiency and coeliac disease.
    Cyning - you defo need free T3 tested, there is something very weird going on - you need an endocrinologist who looks beyond TSH and T4!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

There's a new endo after starting near me so going to chance her in new year... although I have seen and felt a slight improvement lately so fingers crossed. Been taking iron and switched times I took tablets to an hour before I eat in the morning and stopped taking pill: massive improvements to what I was. TSH down to 16 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 batweaselx

Hi, I was diagnosed with hypothroidism 6 years ago when I was 16 after suffering 3 months of depression for no apparant reason, ( I thought I was going mad!) and I also put on a stone in weight even though my diet hadn't changed at all. luckily i felt better as soon as I was put on medication. I take 100 mcgs of eltroxin daily and 150mcgs on Saturdays and Sundays. The main thing is to get bloods done regularly.
    About 3 years ago I was exhausted all the time, alot more than usual and I knew something was up so I got blood tests, it turned out I needed to double my dose for a while and then another time i was dizzy and i had to reduce my amount. Everyone is different and knows themselves when their body is acting up. I don't mind that I'll be on tablets for the rest of my life, its nothing compared to some people like my boyfriend who is fighting leukemia. i do get tired easily and feel colder than most plus i find it tough to lose weight even just a few pounds but I count my blessings that what i have is easily treated!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Hi,

I was diagnosed as having an underactive thyroid, it was only by chance. Went in as my blood pressure was slightly elevated. In doing my bloods it was found as well as having elevated TtG counts. So from one blood test which led to about 4 different tests over as many weeks and months, I was diagnosed a Coeliac and having hypothyroidism. Both easily manageable, but goes to show you never know. All this just last year. I'm a male of 33 so can happen. Especially if there is a history in your family of it...

Regards,
    Bull76.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

Im also havin problem with thyroid, but dont know which one i have...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Erper wrote: »
    Im also havin problem with thyroid, but dont know which one i have...

Hi Erper

Have you had blood tests done yet?

What where the results?

What did your GP say?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

i didnt check blood for long time now.. but last time my tyroidh was higher than normal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fel

Hi Kangaroo,
    I have an underactive thyroid for a number of years. It is caused by an autoimmune disorder. I find that I am constantly exhausted eventhough I take thyroxine daily. A number of years ago, an endocrinologist told me to always have T3 tested as I was having problems converting it. However new consultant will not test for T3 saying it is not necessary. Can T3 be bought from pharmacy without prescription?
    Many thanks.

fel wrote: »
    Hi Kangaroo,
    I have an underactive thyroid for a number of years. It is caused by an autoimmune disorder. I find that I am constantly exhausted eventhough I take thyroxine daily. A number of years ago, an endocrinologist told me to always have T3 tested as I was having problems converting it. However new consultant will not test for T3 saying it is not necessary. Can T3 be bought from pharmacy without prescription?
    Many thanks.
    Hi fel,

T3 is a thyroid hormone. It cannot be obtained in Ireland without prescription. T3 is more powerful and fast-acting than T4 (thyroxine) so in a way is a little less safe.

Cytomel was the name of the brand I got. Although I was told it might be hard to get, I don't think it turned out to be with I think two out of the three (or maybe two out of two) of the pharmacies we tried supplying the prescription at different stages. However occasionally they might be running low and I think requested we give them a bit of notice occasionally so they could order in more if we were going to get it.

My private consultant was not attached to any hospital (he was semi-retired). I got some blood testing done in the Mater Private following a note from him - I think they will also take notes from GPs.

However that was expensive so to keep track of my blood levels when I was on thyroid medication, I got blood testing done with NPTech. I believe they have been taken over by Lab21. Their prices are at:
    http://www.lab21.com/healthcare/thyroid.php (I have no financial interest in this area). Of course, one needs to have someone to take the blood.

As I may have already said in this thread, my GP had previously requested T3 and T4 testing but only the T4 test came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

kangaroo wrote: »
    Hi fel,

T3 is a thyroid hormone. It cannot be obtained in Ireland without prescription. T3 is more powerful and fast-acting than T4 (thyroxine) so in a way is a little less safe.

Cytomel was the name of the brand I got. Although I was told it might be hard to get, I don't think it turned out to be with I think two out of the three (or maybe two out of two) of the pharmacies we tried supplying the prescription at different stages. However occasionally they might be running low and I think requested we give them a bit of notice occasionally so they could order in more if we were going to get it.

My private consultant was not attached to any hospital (he was semi-retired). I got some blood testing done in the Mater Private following a note from him - I think they will also take notes from GPs.

However that was expensive so to keep track of my blood levels when I was on thyroid medication, I got blood testing done with NPTech. I believe they have been taken over by Lab21. Their prices are at:
    http://www.lab21.com/healthcare/thyroid.php (I have no financial interest in this area). Of course, one needs to have someone to take the blood.

As I may have already said in this thread, my GP had previously requested T3 and T4 testing but only the T4 test came back.

Hi kangaroo, you got Cytomel prescribed to you by a Doctor?! You did well!! Can I ask how long you've been on Cytomel and are you taking a T4 med as well? Also, how are you feeling? (Sorry for all the questions) Any chance you could pm me the name of the Doc please?
    Had a look at that website you mentioned as I'm self medicating and need to get bloods tested but I don't see reverse T3 mentioned. Have you ever had this tested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fel

Hi Kangaroo,
    Many thanks for all your help. I was prescribed T3 and T4 when I was first diagnosed with an underactive thyroid many years ago. Another endocrinologist took me off both T3 and T4 . As my T4 and my TSH levels were abnormal the G.P. started me back on T4. I asked him to test T3 but he said only an endocrinologist could do this test and prescribe the relevant medication. As I already told you this new consultant will not do the test!! Thank you so much for information on having bloods tested. I will avail of this labs. services. I find books by Mary J. Shomon on thyroid problems to be excellent. She advises to have T4 and T3 tested. Once again sincere thanks.

Splendour wrote: »
    Hi kangaroo, you got Cytomel prescribed to you by a Doctor?! You did well!! Can I ask how long you've been on Cytomel and are you taking a T4 med as well? Also, how are you feeling? (Sorry for all the questions) Any chance you could pm me the name of the Doc please?
    Had a look at that website you mentioned as I'm self medicating and need to get bloods tested but I don't see reverse T3 mentioned. Have you ever had this tested?
    Hi Splendour, sorry for the delay in replying but I have a few things on.

I described my experiences in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055683901

I did have my reverse T3 tested with NPTech in around 2001. It's a pity the test isn't offered now. Thyroid groups such as Thyroid UK http://www.thyroiduk.org/ might be able to give you info if nobody else here can.

I'm PM you that doctor's details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Truthrevolution

kangaroo wrote: »

Thats a very worrying story, just goes to show you how many people are needlessly suffering as a result of improper diagnosis.Luckily enough though as they pointed out thyroid problems can be helped by natural supplements.A high quality-high potency multi vitamin (without iron) and iodine may be all you need in assisting proper thyroid function.It has been shown time and time again that A,C,D,E and B complex vitamins will help reduce the symptoms of hypothyroidism as well as minerals such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, selenium and iodine.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi all id really appreciate the headsup if anyone knows of a doc in CORK (or even munster) area who actually has read up on the whole supplementing with T3. Im going insane from frustration at docs who say 'jazuz i never heard a that now'

Advertisement