Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Societies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I'm joining MMA.
    Usually join a few and don't end up getting actively involved in all of them :(
    I just did Yoga and Radio last year.

I think we should set up a film society... Could be a fun idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Setanta123

what's the magazine society? Film Society sounds good...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Adventure Soc. Kaying, rock climbing and a whole host of others. It's great.

Setanta123 wrote: »
    what's the magazine society? Film Society sounds good...

Magazine society? Haven't heard of it! Would be cool to produce a college paper though, I'd love to do it.
    Teferi wrote: »
    Adventure Soc. Kaying, rock climbing and a whole host of others. It's great.

Aha, I joined that Adventure Soc thing!
    I went to the first meeting and that was it... D'oh!

How would you go about setting up a college newspaper? As you can see I am very eager to do things in the college.

• Advertisement

How would you go about setting up a college newspaper? As you can see I am very eager to do things in the college.

Ummm you'd go to the Clubs and Societies officer in the college and apply to set up a new society.

I think it's a really good idea! The college needs something like it!
    :D

Ok cool I'll do that then when I am in there, Mad excited now!! haha

Ok cool I'll do that then when I am in there, Mad excited now!! haha

College is pretty exciting!

For a newspaper / magazine, you'd need a really dedicated team of staff though. You're talking at least five people who are prepared to put a lot of effort in.

Oh, and just to let people know, based on last year and previous years, it's three euro to sign up to a society.
    You can join and participate in as many as you'd like!

Sign up day is usually held sometime in the first week of college. Each society sets up a table in the halls of the college and you join the clubs and societies you want to be part of :)

Aha, I joined that Adventure Soc thing!
    I went to the first meeting and that was it... D'oh!

You're missing out. It's a smashing soc.

A paper soc would cool, i'd defo join.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Netsoc is a very handy one to be in.

You get unlimited space to store files that you can access anywhere with a net connection and if anything goes wrong with your PC or laptop there are plenty of nerds on hand to offer help and advice. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

MMA and Poker will be my first ports of call I'd say, possibly a bit of boxing (bring back childhood memories) thrown in aswell.

Teferi wrote: »
    You're missing out. It's a smashing soc.

A paper soc would cool, i'd defo join.

I'd suck at it though. I'm not really the biggest outdoorsie person.

We should consider the paper idea then, might be fun!
    MMA and Poker will be my first ports of call I'd say, possibly a bit of boxing (bring back childhood memories) thrown in aswell.

I want to do MMA! Have to get back into doing stuff like that.

I want to do MMA! Have to get back into doing stuff like that.

High 5!!!

How much would it cost would you say for classes?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

The list of Societies posted there is an old one.
    It's missing Games Soc, it's probably one of the newest societies in the college.
    Traditional, Tabletop and Console Gaming is what we do. I recommend it to anyone in the college. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ittmixedmartial

High 5!!!

How much would it cost would you say for classes?

like nearly all of the the tallaght its free you pay your three euro and thats it all we ask is that when we r trying to raise money for the socs you join in give something back only fair i think :) oh and for ladies and really anyone who doesn like gettin hit we r going to be doing kickboxing classes and kickboxercise this year so dont be afraid sign up whatever you into :) and hopefully we will be keeping up the jujitsu have to sort out coach etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Power-surge

I hope theres a GAA soc...

like nearly all of the the tallaght its free you pay your three euro and thats it all we ask is that when we r trying to raise money for the socs you join in give something back only fair i think :) oh and for ladies and really anyone who doesn like gettin hit we r going to be doing kickboxing classes and kickboxercise this year so dont be afraid sign up whatever you into :) and hopefully we will be keeping up the jujitsu have to sort out coach etc

How sexist! You assume ladies won't like getting hit! Anyone's free to smack me around the place! :pac:

I'd definitely be interesting in doing something ... sounds like good fun :)

Out of interest, do you ever plan trips to go and see any MMA events?
    Friends of mine are competing in Rumble in Rush 2 in November :D

There is one! Pretty big society too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ittmixedmartial

hi pikachu i appoligise for that comment anyway yeah we r goin to try and get out as mush as possible yeah hope ya come along ya can have a crack at the lads

I think it's the biggest society in the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

I remember getting an email about a college paper when i was in 2nd year. I replied saying i would be interested but it seems the idea didn't get off the ground. There was no mention of it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭BearsyBoo

think i might join the mma this year and one or two others :)

hi pikachu i appoligise for that comment anyway yeah we r goin to try and get out as mush as possible yeah hope ya come along ya can have a crack at the lads

Have a crack at the lads? What an offer!
    :pac:
    I remember getting an email about a college paper when i was in 2nd year. I replied saying i would be interested but it seems the idea didn't get off the ground. There was no mention of it again.

Hmm. Doesn't mean we can't restart it! If people were dedicated to it, there's no reason why it wouldn't work! :)

If you get it started up I will definitely help.

I'd be willing to help set it up.

Ok well when I start college I'll get in touch with you guys via here and see how it goes?

Just about the MMA, is that in St.Marys Boxing Club aswell or is that somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

I'd be interested in the college paper thing. I love writing and editing photos!

If it does go ahead keep me updated with it, would love to help out!

Hoping to join a few societies this year. =]

Anyone ever heard of Parkour/Free-running? Not many people have heard of it, but just wondering if there'd be people interested in learning it...
    Here's a link if you dunno what it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q8nhBGitXE&feature=player_profilepage

~Pipz,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Hey guys. Are the socs usually an evening thing?

sineadw wrote: »
    Hey guys. Are the socs usually an evening thing?

Umm. It depends on the society, really.

I did yoga on Wednesday mornings last year. Some societies are on in the afternoons, others in the evenings, some operate at weekends.

Usually what happens is the club holds a meeting and the members vote on a suitable time to have meet-ups. Majority rules!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

I cant remember is it the second week that you sign up for the socs? or when is it?

Advertisement