Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Not Working

Options
  • 30-08-2009 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi boards..eh, well my internet is not working. It's out of the blue really. I did get an error before i restarted my computer and the internet was gone then. The internet icon down the bottom right is still flashing as normal as though it would if the internet was working and the computers on the other the same network still have operable internet. The error was, ctfmon.exe - Bad Image The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\IME\sptip.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.
    I've already googled the error and it doesn't explain anything about losing network. If anybody has any ideas on how to eliminate what some of the causes could be help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Sean

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

You usually get that error with a malware infection. You can try repairing the file by running the SFC command.

Click start, run and type cmd
    At the command prompt, type "sfc /scannow" without quotes and hit enter

You need to have your windows cd in the cd drive for this to work.

Might be no harm to post this over in the virus and malware removal forum and post a hijack this log.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sean-nirvana

Thanks for the reply, i "sfc /scannow'd" and the error message seems to be gone, thanks..But the internet connection is still ****ed. Any ideas?

No problem. Ok at the command prompt type "ipconfig" without quotes.
    Are you getting an IP address or an error?

Thanks again for the reply, eh i did what ya "instructed" and here's a screen shotbollocks.jpg

That looks ok.
    At the command prompt can you type "ping www.google.ie" and let me know if you get a reply back?

Also can you check if there is proxy server option enabled on your internet explorer settings?

It's found by going to Tools, Then Internet Options then Connection Settings and then Lan Settings.

• Advertisement

Hey, eh "Ping request could not find host www.google.ie. Please check the name and try again."
    And the proxy server is unchecked (not enabled)..:S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Try access your router config page.

Try go to http://192.168.1.1 in your browser - If that loads, then your computer might be fine and your internet connection might just be down. Check it and let me know. It might ask you for login details, just let me know if it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

When you right click on the internet icon on the bottom right corner of your screen is ther an option to repair connection? Try this if there is :D

ok. can you type "ping 192.168.1.1" without quotes at the command prompt and let me know if you get a reply.

Also can type "ipconfig /all" without quotes at the command prompt and upload a screenshot.

Thanks.

It's loadin up yeah..I doubt it's my internet connection though, as the two other computers runnin of the router are grand

• Advertisement

If the config page is loading, and the other systems are working fine with the router - winsock might be corrupt.

In your command prompt - try "netsh winsock reset catalog" to repair winsock. This only works on XP (SP1 upwards I believe) & Vista. If it's anything prior to this, it's a pain in the hole to repair.

Restart your system afterwards and see if it's ok.

And sorry, are you still getting that dll error?

dlofnep wrote: »
    Try access your router config page.

Try go to http://192.168.1.1 in your browser - If that loads, then your computer might be fine and your internet connection might just be down. Check it and let me know. It might ask you for login details, just let me know if it does.

It's loadin up yeah..I doubt it's my internet connection though, as the two other computers runnin of the router are grand

When you right click on the internet icon on the bottom right corner of your screen is ther an option to repair connection? Try this if there is :D

tried it..doesn't work :/

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    ok. can you type "ping 192.168.1.1" without quotes at the command prompt and let me know if you get a reply.

Also can type "ipconfig /all" without quotes at the command prompt and upload a screenshot.

Thanks.

this is the ping

ping.jpg

RoadKillTs wrote: »

Thanks.

and the ipconfig

ipconfig.jpg

Yeah I responded to that :)

Just to make sure - your other computers, are they connected wirelessly? Just on the off-chance, that they were connected to another wifi network by accident giving the impression that your connection is up. Make sure that they are both connected to your router. If so - then try the winsock repair like I said, and also - let me know if the dll error is still coming up.

And sorry, are you still getting that dll error?

nope not gettin the dll error anymore

Yeah I responded to that :)

Just to make sure - your other computers, are they connected wirelessly? Just on the off-chance, that they were connected to another wifi network by accident giving the impression that your connection is up. Make sure that they are both connected to your router. If so - then try the winsock repair like I said, and also - let me know if the dll error is still coming up.

Yeah thanks..eh no i'm sure they're connected to my router, and yeah all the computers are runnin wirelessly. And i'll try that winsock repair now

Cool :)

If that doesn't work - download ad-aware or spybot, and see if it finds any malware/spyware.

• Advertisement

If that doesn't work - download ad-aware or spybot, and see if it finds any malware/spyware.

Nope winsock didn't work..gonna try spybot now. Forgot to mention a windows installer pops up every few minutes, donno what it's installing though..i either turn it off or it doesn't complete

Downloaded spybot put it onto my computer (the one without internet) and it won't let me scan without getting an update. Error being, "You need to install the detection updates first by using the integrated update or manual updater"
    Wait got it.."scan in progress"...

Try a program called "Malwarebytes" - See if that scans for you.

Got spybot workin scanned and i "fixed all the problems" it found, restarted, went onto mozilla and the ****ing thing still "server not found" error

Did you scan with spybot in safemode?

Did you scan with spybot in safemode?

nah, what difference would that make?

nah, what difference would that make?

It's very unlikely to remove it unless it's in safe mode - In normal mode, the software might be running, and because it's in system memory, it won't remove it.

Scan in safe mode :)

sorry for the delay..i had already scanned in normal mode, so when i scanned in safe mode it picked up nothing..:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Hey Sean, has this issue been resolved? Have you tried the simple look of seeing if the Network Drivers are installed? Right click on 'my computer' and click on Properties-Hardware-Device Manager.

If any driver issues are present then the device manager will tell you by showing up as yellow or red warnings. If the drivers are needed you may need to get original CD with machine out or even go online for the drivers.

If all is ok here, do you need to look at the network settings, found by clicking on START-Settings-Network Connections. The particular network settings (either wireless or Ethernet) may need to be connected by right clicking on them and clicking on 'Connect'.

• Advertisement

Hey Sean, has this issue been resolved? Have you tried the simple look of seeing if the Network Drivers are installed? Right click on 'my computer' and click on Properties-Hardware-Device Manager.

If any driver issues are present then the device manager will tell you by showing up as yellow or red warnings. If the drivers are needed you may need to get original CD with machine out or even go online for the drivers.

If all is ok here, do you need to look at the network settings, found by clicking on START-Settings-Network Connections. The particular network settings (either wireless or Ethernet) may need to be connected by right clicking on them and clicking on 'Connect'.

Thanks for reply, I had already checked the drivers and installed them again..and **** all happened. Eh and the computer keeps freezing now when i get to log in startin up the pc after i ran in safe mode..so i can't get into the pc nevermind the internet now

Advertisement