Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make things work

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OS119 wrote: »
    i think its not unreasonable to assume that 'every Muslim man who insists that any children of a mixed-religion/culture marriage would be Muslim, should not eat pork, should not drink alcohol, and who'd admits that he'd be 'disappointed' if his Daughters chose not to wear religious clothing' could be described a bit of a control freak.

If you'd read the thread, you'd see that this is exactly what is being proposed. Does that sound liberal, non-control freaky, and fun to you?

OS119 - OP here, think you have misinterpreted somewhat here, the clothing decision is 100% personal choice, he couldn't care less about this.

OP, while you may be a 'lapsed' catholic, i bet you don't have no beliefs or values at all. that your partner has laid down the law regarding both your relationship and how your children would be brought up, and its all 'his way', i think you've got a reasonable insight into the decision making process within your future marriage.

marriages between people of different cultures and religions can, and do, work. marriages between people, one of who thinks they get to make all the decisions while the other meekly lives by them, rarely do.

Separately, there is room for consensus, just trying to figure out where that is at the moment.

Unreg for this - it is not law in Muslim states that children should be raised as Muslim, this is one of the principles of Islam as a religion, similar to Christianity which has a principle that you should raise your children as Christians. If you are not in a country where Shariah law (based on Islam) is actively enforced, you can chose to abide by this, or not, based on what you agree with your partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Moomoo1

OS119 wrote: »
    i think its not unreasonable to assume that 'every Muslim man who insists that any children of a mixed-religion/culture marriage would be Muslim, should not eat pork, should not drink alcohol, and who'd admits that he'd be 'disappointed' if his Daughters chose not to wear religious clothing' could be described a bit of a control freak.

If you'd read the thread, you'd see that this is exactly what is being proposed. Does that sound liberal, non-control freaky, and fun to you?

OP, while you may be a 'lapsed' catholic, i bet you don't have no beliefs or values at all. that your partner has laid down the law regarding both your relationship and how your children would be brought up, and its all 'his way', i think you've got a reasonable insight into the decision making process within your future marriage.

marriages between people of different cultures and religions can, and do, work. marriages between people, one of who thinks they get to make all the decisions while the other meekly lives by them, rarely do.

they are his children too you know. He does get a say in their upbringing you know... you named three things there that he wouldn't compromise on. I bet that almost every person in the world would have more than three things that he wouldn't compromise on regarding his/her children's upbringing.

Advertisement