Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish/UK Population at all time high

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

My mistake i meant 3.5 in 1990 but the current population is 4.2 million according to the C.S.O http://www.cso.ie/statistics/Population1901-2006.htm

Yes, 4.2 million at Census 2006 but estimated to be around 4.4 million in 2008. 2009 population estimates come out in September. It'll be around 4.5 million I reckon.

What's driving population growth now in Ireland is a very high birth rate. 10 years ago it was immigration that was fualling the population increase, but now it's natural increase. I think emigration has now probably surpassed immigration but natural incraese will keep the pop rising for a couple of more years yet, to census 2011 anyway.

But after 2011, if the economy stays bad, we could see a pop decline, just as we did between 1986 and 1991.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

heyjude wrote: »
    Ireland had a population of 8 million before the Famine, so our population today is still a long way short of its all time high, even allowing for those living in Northern Ireland.

Indeed that is very true. It's little short of amazing that somebody could overlook the minor matter of An Gorta Mór and claim Ireland's population is at "an all time high" in 2009 with only 75% of the population figure for Ireland pre-1845.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Yes, 4.2 million at Census 2006 but estimated to be around 4.4 million in 2008. 2009 population estimates come out in September. It'll be around 4.5 million I reckon.

What's driving population growth now in Ireland is a very high birth rate. 10 years ago it was immigration that was fualling the population increase, but now it's natural increase. I think emigration has now probably surpassed immigration but natural incraese will keep the pop rising for a couple of more years yet, to census 2011 anyway.

But after 2011, if the economy stays bad, we could see a pop decline, just as we did between 1986 and 1991.

What gives you that impression?....the dynamics are quite different.Between 1986 and 1991 ..there was negligible amount of foreigners in Ireland as opposed to 2009...if the negative economic trend continues...Yes...some Irish citizens might emmigrate and the ones that stay would stop procreating...but some non-nationals would not leave or stop procreating because whatever the circumstances it would ostensibly be better than going back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Didnt we have 10 million before the famine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

procure11 wrote: »
    What are your thoughts?
    Irish people are not having as many kids anymore.Europe is to bring in up to 50 million Africans in the coming years.In france 40% of babies are born to Muslim women.French people are a minority in their own country by 2040.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Irish people are not having as many kids anymore.Europe is to bring in up to 50 million Africans in the coming years.In france 40% of babies are born to Muslim women.French people are a minority in their own country by 2040.

link?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

procure11 wrote: »
    What gives you that impression?....the dynamics are quite different.Between 1986 and 1991 ..there was negligible amount of foreigners in Ireland as opposed to 2009...if the negative economic trend continues...Yes...some Irish citizens might emmigrate and the ones that stay would stop procreating...but some non-nationals would not leave or stop procreating because whatever the circumstances it would ostensibly be better than going back home.

Yep, SOME immigrants will not leave.

Love your summary, it conveniently scapegoats Non Nationals, whatever a Non National is!

We really should go back to 2002 pre property bubble population levels.

Basically, people should stop pro creating.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

no

I would hesitate to believe those figures then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Was the population not a lot higher during the late 70's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

brummytom wrote: »
    We need to kill people who are of no value.

First people who watch Big Brother, when both of those are killed then begins the culling of the watchers of the rest of these mind-numbing shows (except for X Factor, because I liked that).

Then we kill the other thick people.

Pfft. You might as well be saying "We need to get rid of all the criminals (except the drug dealers, beacause I need them for my fix)
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

look the recession we are in at the moment wont end until maybe 2015/16 for Ireland
    Are you predicating the 2nd Great depression? :eek:

Note: The First great Depression was English Rule and the effect of recovering from it until the start of the Celtic Tiger which was torture by Bxxxx Cxxxx - now wanted for Abuse of Animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

limklad wrote: »
    Are you predicating the 2nd Great depression? :eek:

Lets have a sing song :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I know Ireland wasn't a sovereign country in the 1840s, but in pre-famine times we had 8.1 million. So its not an all time high, technically.

I would hesitate to believe those figures then
    I'm sorry everything a person knows doesn't necessarily correlate to a link on a website of some sorts.
    I've read this on actual paper lol sorry bud.Have an old gander around i'm sure your google skills are black belt!!!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    The amount of pregnant women I saw in town (yes, Dublin city centre town!) the other day was surprising I thought. You'd think people would've put off having a new kid during a recession. Fair play to them though, I want some of the optimism they're on!
    the problem is women are just too sexy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Thats a lot of people which means a lot of G's when world war z starts.

We're ****ed!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

grenache wrote: »
    I know Ireland wasn't a sovereign country in the 1840s, but in pre-famine times we had 8.1 million. So its not an all time high, technically.

Peasants all over the world were more cost-effective in those days, because they all worked for peanuts, and because they were largely self-sufficient, they didn't get robbed in their local Spar, so a larger population could be sustained.

Nowadays? We're screwed.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A baby export business could simultaneously provide a much-needed source revenue and a population control measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

stovelid wrote: »
    A baby export business could simultaneously provide a much-needed source revenue and a population control measure.

That would mean that the gingers would be the only ones left, because you couldn't even give 'em away. Ginger pies might be a solution, however.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

yes we had 8 mill before the famine which was far too many, look at the state of the island, hardly a square foot of land untouched by man, we have no forests, houses blighting every scenic view...
    We should really be trying to keep the population as is, the UK has far too many for such a small island. We need governments around the world to take action on this now, overpopulation is what's killing the earth, but no one seems to want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    yes we had 8 mill before the famine which was far too many, look at the state of the island, hardly a square foot of land untouched by man, we have no forests, houses blighting every scenic view...
    We should really be trying to keep the population as is, the UK has far too many for such a small island. We need governments around the world to take action on this now, overpopulation is what's killing the earth, but no one seems to want to know.

in terms of population density ireland is anything but overpopulated, we are like 150th in the world in that respect, there is only half the number of people in the republic compared to the 5 boroughs of NYC

compare ireland to malta, if ireland had maltas population density then the population of this country (republic only) would be 102 million, the population of the united states would be 12 billion :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

8 million far too many? When you compare us to other countys 8 million is far too little.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    8 million far too many? When you compare us to other countys 8 million is far too little.

take a look around, where's all the free space? Jesus comparing our population to other countries is pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

take a look around, where's all the free space? Jesus comparing our population to other countries is pointless

ever been to west mayo, donegal, west galway, travel the 20 miles between roscommon and castlerea there is nothing but one or two houses and this is the main dublin-westport road, there is tonnes of free space in this country, outside the one or two major population centers ie dublin, cork city, galway and limerick there isn't another town over 50,000 in this country, a 50,000 town in most countries would be considered a village

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Why do you expect the birth rate to be high in a recession?

Its the high social welfare rates!! It makes economic sense to have children when unemployed as the benefits supporting you are huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

stovelid wrote: »

A modest proposal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

Half of that increase were to women born overseas, but living in the UK

They're Irish. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

yes we had 8 mill before the famine which was far too many, look at the state of the island, hardly a square foot of land untouched by man, we have no forests.

Ah the forests! With the very mention of the destruction of Ireland's enormous forests, just how many Irish people thought 'Cad a dhéanfaimid feasta gan adhmad? Tá deireadh na gcoillte ar lár'? I did, as quick as I think of the children of Lír when I see a swan.

Now, who can we blame for the destruction of Irish forests? ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Crap.

Advertisement