Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish/UK Population at all time high

Options
  • 27-08-2009 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

....due to the baby boom and immigration.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8224520.stm

There was a similar report last week about Ireland

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/baby-boom-puts-us-on-top-of-birth-rate-league-1595

I think an increase in population has both its advantages and repercussions.
    An increase in population would benefit the country in terms of a future vibrant labour force,economic market,potentials etc...

On the other hand it creates a massive strain on social infrastructure eg hospitals,housing,schools and if there is political and social failure..those potentials would eventually become liabilities.

I also think that in a world where we have China/India/Brazil as competitors..it would be foolish to be anti-immigration but there has to be a proactive MO to allow mostly those who would be of national/economic benefits into the country as opposed to a free for all opportunity for a some people that think that being lazy and consistently producing offsprings is fun.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Stop riding imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

more people stay indoors when there is a reccesion, we have to keep ourselves busy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,300 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

swine flu should take care of some of those babies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Stop riding imo.

Spot the eunuch!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Time for the centenerial cull I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Yay for the horny Brits! :pac: Ahem, and Irish .:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Stop riding imo.

and then do what exactly ??? you have to come to terms that some people have a life!:D..and can actually score goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

Who cares...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,940 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

uhm, humanity is at an all time population high.

**** the UK for a second.

The latest estimated figure as of now is 6,780,382,154 and we are getting real ****ing close to 7 billion.

Also for anyone interested, We topped 6 Billion on October 16, 1999.

Jim236 wrote: »
    Who cares...

I would imagine why you dont care about the UK...admittedly it should not be your business ( for now until the people make it their business to take advantage of the lax borders )...but what would be your take on the fast increase in population in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Expect an even larger increase by next year. There seems to be a large number of heavily pregnant women around lately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

You know we cant sustain a big Increase in the population in Ireland, look the recession we are in at the moment wont end until maybe 2015/16 for Ireland and then we will have 700,000 on the Live Register, when a recovery starts it would take decades to reduce the live Register to where it was in the boom years, in the height of the boom we were only creating 40,0000 Jobs per year so when a recovery comes it, firstly it will not reach the boom years with the amount of new Jobs created maybe 10,000 new Jobs per year at most, so in effect People will need to leave Ireland to get work Just as they have done down the years, now a good few people wont be able to leave due to mortgages and family so in effect Ireland is screwed for decades and decades to come, anybody who is over 40 and worked in the building trade better get used to live on the dole for they will never again get a Job and this also applys to Professionals if they dont go abroad to look for work. It sounds depressing i Know but we better get used to it because those are the facts my dear Friends.

procure11 wrote: »
    I would imagine why you dont care about the UK...

And whys that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

The amount of pregnant women I saw in town (yes, Dublin city centre town!) the other day was surprising I thought. You'd think people would've put off having a new kid during a recession. Fair play to them though, I want some of the optimism they're on!

You know we cant sustain a big Increase in the population in Ireland, look the recession we are in at the moment wont end until maybe 2015/16 for Ireland and then we will have 700,000 on the Live Register, when a recovery starts it would take decades to reduce the live Register to where it was in the boom years, in the height of the boom we were only creating 40,0000 Jobs per year so when a recovery comes it, firstly it will not reach the boom years with the amount of new Jobs created maybe 10,000 new Jobs per year at most, so in effect People will need to leave Ireland to get work Just as they have done down the years, now a good few people wont be able to leave due to mortgages and family so in effect Ireland is screwed for decades and decades to come, anybody who is over 40 and worked in the building trade better get used to live on the dole for they will never again get a Job and this also applys to Professionals if they dont go abroad to look for work. It sounds depressing i Know but we better get used to it because those are the facts my dear Friends.

Apart from the fact that your post was a bit squashed up....spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

....due to the baby boom and immigration.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8224520.stm

There was a similar report last week about Ireland

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/baby-boom-puts-us-on-top-of-birth-rate-league-1595

What are your thoughts?

I think who gives a crap about some foreign country and your link to the indo is broke.

There were 8million of us here before the brits starved us in the mid 19th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Apart from the fact that your post was a bit squashed up....spot on!

I'll have to go back and read it now. it was too squashed for me to take the risk before.

I'll have to go back and read it now. it was too squashed for me to take the risk before.

Jeez soryyyy im not a pefectionist:rolleyes:

I think who gives a crap about some foreign country and your link to the indo is broke.

There were 8million of us here before the brits starved us in the mid 19th century.

I have had no complaints about the Indo link being broke ...but here is a similar one

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article6797822.ece

well unless you would complain it came from a UK website!!

I think your extrapolation of what occured in the 19th century to what is.. in 2009 and the challenges thereof are quite amusing tbh...

Lol.....Cheeky ...you

• Advertisement

I think your extrapolation of what occured in the 19th century to what is.. in 2009 and the challenges thereof are quite amusing tbh...

Doesn't take much to get you goin so does it?:rolleyes:

And who actually talks like that?lol

Oh and btw yer link is broken for me too...

Jim236 wrote: »
    Doesn't take much to get you goin so does it?:rolleyes:

And who actually talks like that?lol

Oh and btw yer link is broken for me too...

Then two cliches come to mind...
    1.Grow up
    2.Get over it.

P.S...have you checked the new link...(caution...it is a UK website tho)

Then two cliches come to mind...
    1.Grow up
    2.Get over it.

P.S...have you checked the new link...(caution...it is a UK website tho)

I didnt check it no, I just saw ".co.uk" and said "fcuk that!".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

there was 8 million+ living on this island before the famine

anyways the problem is not the uk and its paltry 60 million, the problem is asia and its every growing population, standing today at roughly 4 billion some 60% of the total worlds population despite only having 30% of the worlds landmass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Ireland had a population of 8 million before the Famine, so our population today is still a long way short of its all time high, even allowing for those living in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

We need to kill people who are of no value.

First people who watch Big Brother, when both of those are killed then begins the culling of the watchers of the rest of these mind-numbing shows (except for X Factor, because I liked that).

Then we kill the other thick people.

heyjude wrote: »
    Ireland had a population of 8 million before the Famine, so our population today is still a long way short of its all time high, even allowing for those living in Northern Ireland.

Yes you are right, but you cant look at it like this, Just because we had that population Before this not mean we can sustain it again, the way our economy has progressed is based on having a population of 2.5 million in 1990 to having close to 4 million now, we could support 4 million people during the boom years but there is no way we can support it now nor in the future.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes you are right, but you cant look at it like this, Just because we had that population Before this not mean we can sustain it again, the way our economy has progressed is based on having a population of 2.5 million in 1990 to having close to 4 million now, we could support 4 million people during the boom years but there is no way we can support it now nor in the future.

This is wrong on so many counts. Firstly, the population of the Republic on Ireland was 3.5 million in 1990, not 2.5 million. Secondly, the current population stands at 4.4 million.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    This is wrong on so many counts. Firstly, the population of the Republic on Ireland was 3.5 million in 1990, not 2.5 million. Secondly, the current population stands at 4.4 million.

My mistake i meant 3.5 in 1990 but the current population is 4.2 million according to the C.S.O http://www.cso.ie/statistics/Population1901-2006.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sure 3.5 million was too much in 1990.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement