Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sentinels - what do they do?

Options
  • 27-08-2009 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a definitive answer to this or perhaps a book/website they might recommend for me to research this?

I know someone who says this is what they are, however the things they describe doing seem a little less than humanitarian. Have I got the wrong end of a completely different stick?

Any suggestions for further study welcome.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I take it you don't mean the giant robots from the xmen comics, so what is it in relation to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

Edit...nevermind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Inter

This is what's been happening ... the person I'm talking about says it like everyone knows, and no one seems to know.

No, sorry, neither of us is taking the p!ss, and this person isn't a giant robot in the X-Men. The kind of sentinel I'm told about is one of a quartet of psychic/mystics and their duties involve entities which have gone astray - either through negative emotion or something else. These entities have quite a negative effect on the people they encounter, too.

I won't say what I've been told as that might be giving the game away, somewhat ...

I promise you, this is a serious question.

(Sorry, twanda, can't find the Hellraiser/sentinel reference ... any more info?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

What's going on in this thread.

Inter I have never heard of it, which has me curious, itis nice to hear about something now and then that I have never seen or heard or read anything in reference to before.
    Can you give us any sort of frame of reference?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Inter I have never heard of it, which has me curious, itis nice to hear about something now and then that I have never seen or heard or read anything in reference to before.

Beings who live among us, taking a human form to protect us.
    I presume those sentinels.

Overblood wrote: »
    What's going on in this thread.
    A serious enquiry from someone who is quite concerned about something quite specific.

I wish I could give more, but it is really why I'm asking the question. The person who has described themselves to me as being "A Sentinel" definitely has a gift, but I have reason to be concerned they have been abusing it, possibly out of ignorance, although in fact the whole "Sentinel" thing might as easily be a smoke screen for something else.

However, when this person speaks of it, they do so in such a way that makes you think you should have heard of it. They speak of the unity of force between Sentinels, Empaths, Shamans and Seers as though it was something that the whole mystical world ought to be aspiring to.
    squod wrote: »
    Beings who live among us, taking a human form to protect us.
    I presume those sentinels.

This person is quite definitely human, Squod. Are you referring to something definite that you can link me to, though? There may be clues in what you have heard to what I'm trying to find out about.

I am unwilling to dis the claims completely as, if they truly are doing what they say they are, then I believe they may be doing it from the wrong motivation and might be harming themselves and others accidentally - I hope accidentally.

My goal in asking the question is to learn if I can what they ought to be doing with their gift and see if that jells with what I'm told they are doing. If I am right, then this person needs to be helped to discover their proper path before any real harm can be done.

Frankly, I'm a little out of my depth with this. And I have a suspicion that some data are being deliberately kept from me (I hope that doesn't sound more paranoid than it should :o).

If anyone can help, I will be grateful. I think others might be as well.

Sounds more like someone suffering from an acute case of the 'Mr Darks' tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

What Overblood said...

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭TechFreak

Inter wrote: »
    A serious enquiry from someone who is quite concerned about something quite specific.

"However, when this person speaks of it, they do so in such a way that makes you think you should have heard of it. They speak of the unity of force between Sentinels, Empaths, Shamans and Seers as though it was something that the whole mystical world ought to be aspiring to."

"I am unwilling to dis the claims completely as, if they truly are doing what they say they are, then I believe they may be doing it from the wrong motivation and might be harming themselves and others accidentally - I hope accidentally."

Eh...I know im relatively new on this so is this someone whose playing one of those fantasy role play games on this or does this person actually believe this.

Im not being critically of what someone's believes and I apologise if any takes offence.But, if this poster actually believes this id be more concerned that this "Sentinel" is actually a person whose taking advantage of someone with a diminish mental capacity.

Seriously...arent anyone of you concerned about the person that posted this and that fact that they so whole heartedly believe that this person has an affect on them.

• Advertisement

Iam concerned which is why I am asking questions.

Iam concerned which is why I am asking questions.

Ah, I see. Now I understand the general tenor of the responses a bit better.

You may call me deluded or otherwise of diminished responsibility, I don't believe myself to fall under these categories by very much. Following my researches and some personal experiences, following encounters and discussions, and following attunements I have received through Reiki, I believe myself to have observed, and occasionally participated in, a reality outside the accepted norm, but no less accessible for all that.

Incidentally, I do not and never have (knowingly) taken drugs of any kind apart from nicotine, caffeine and infrequent alcohol.

Intellectually, I believe I am capable of being critical of some of the things I've encountered and I do question a lot of it. Have I been victim of NLP, self-induced delusion, need to believe, desire to escape the mundane, chemical brain imbalance, areneline rush or anything similar? Quite possibly, on one level, my experiences have been purely bio-electrical events, this is probably impossible for anyone to know definitely. And, yes, I am aware that, on adopting a specific belief structure, evidence for those beliefs will surely present itself. Is this a psychological effect or a metaphysical one? It is evidentially true that it happens, but is susceptible, I believe of either interpretation, as in the maxim that we will always believe what it suits us to believe, and that belief will change with time.

My question is addressed to anyone who has had more or much more advanced experiences than I have, and I feel there must be many such people. It is intended for anyone who has more conviction about their beliefs than, perhaps, I do. It is for whoever can tell me, unequivocally, whether the "sentinel" I speak of can really and truthfully be doing the things they say they are. And if they are, then are they doing it correctly and for the right reasons.

Let's take each case briefly on its own:

1:
    The Sentinel is self-deluded and the events they describe are not happening. If this is true, then they have suckered a very good friend of mine into believing them and into attempting to follow them. This makes them a dishonest and manipulative person. I would like this to be true as it would vindicate my instincts and justify my interference. I would hate this to be true because my friend is going to be very, very hurt by it.

2:
    The Sentinel is one of many who are on permanent duty protecting humanity from wayward negative energies. If so, then my friend has been attracted to a morally positive power in the Universe. However, I still feel my instinct is right in that Wayward Negative Energies, whether of Universal or of Human context, require counselling before imprisonment or summary dispatch, which is why an important part of my question - if the sentinel is who they say they are - is: is this one doing it right?

I prefer not to go into more detail than this until or if I receive a response from someone who knows much, much more than I do on this subject. My readings have turned up virtually nothing. However, if the latter case should prove to be true, then the person in question needs to be guided properly and my friend should be included in some way in that process.

If it is the former, then my friend needs to be guided so that they can discover the truth for themselves, as to tell them outright would be to lose them.

It is a tricky one, I admit. There are two correct answers possible, depending on two opposing views of the situation. One correct answer depends on the sentinel being deluded while the other correct answer depends on acknowledging that the sentinel is definitely not deluded. In the first instance, I can make a reasonable stab at getting the right answer myself. But in the latter circumstance, I am no anywhere near qualified to make even an educated guess.

Hence the question. Hence the sincerity of the request.

I still hope someone here can help us ...

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

Ok I have read down through this thread and am confused :confused:

Inter are you looking for a "sentinel" to come on here and explain what they do so you can confirm what this other supposed "sentinel" is telling your friend. Are you afraid if you post details of what is happening that this other person will find out and you may be harmed in some way?

You maybe only looking for answers but your post is way to vague to receive any as without the details people can only guess and be concerned in the manner you are posting.

On the other hand if you were willing to give some more details maybe someone on here would be capable of pointing you in the right direction. Of course your own common sense would have to be used.

If you feel your friend is been maniulated or somesort of mind thing going on why haven't you sourced out medical advice or legal advice ?????

kshiel wrote: »
    Ok I have read down through this thread and am confused :confused:

Inter are you looking for a "sentinel" to come on here and explain what they do so you can confirm what this other supposed "sentinel" is telling your friend.

I hadn't thought of that, but yes, it would be a very good outcome, I think. If another sentinel can tell me, or is willing to tell me, then it makes sense that a sentinel would be pleased and willing to help another sentinel find the right way of doing things.
    Are you afraid if you post details of what is happening that this other person will find out and you may be harmed in some way?

Harder to answer. I don't think they are deliberately harming anyone, so no is probably the answer.
    You maybe only looking for answers but your post is way to vague to receive any as without the details people can only guess and be concerned in the manner you are posting.

I have no intention of making anyone feel concerned. I wasn't aware my manner was doing this. I am certainly trying to put across my own concerns, as I feel it important that any who reply to it realise I'm being sincere in my wish to help two people in particular. If others are worried, then all I can say is that, statistically, I don't think you have even the slightest need to be.

Also, anyone who knows the answers will, I hope, understand and recognise the question and my description of the situation. Otherwise, I'm happy to elucidate for those who think they get it but aren't quite sure.
    On the other hand if you were willing to give some more details maybe someone on here would be capable of pointing you in the right direction. Of course your own common sense would have to be used.

I'm not withholding out of any motive other than that, if you have experienced similar things, you will understand. If not, it all sounds a little bit looney. I completely understand that reaction. It was mine, initially. I will disclose everything pertinent to the discussion once the discussion gets going, but more likely through PMs than publically on the board. However, anyone is very welcome to PM me if their motives are true and helpful :)
    If you feel your friend is been maniulated or somesort of mind thing going on why haven't you sourced out medical advice or legal advice ?????

I may be responding to what I believe is manipulation for the wrong reasons. My emotions are not uninvolved, but I hope I am keeping them in check when necessary. The advice I am seeking is from people expert in the metaphysical field, as I believe this to be a borderline (at least) metaphysical situation. If those experts tell me I am wrong, then I will adress the situation directly with my friend and between us we may be able to find the health and care support that the "sentinel" needs. However, I must stress, that I personally have no reason to jump to the second course of action before fully exploring the first.

I believe my mind is open to either case, but my friend's is more entrenched in the stories that have been told.

Again, I stress, this is not a cause for general concern, only personal. If this person is a manipulator, then they have to be unmasked and confronted so that others may not be manipulated in the same way. If they are genuine and truly engaged in some metaphysical activity beyond our common comprehension, I would be equally excited to learn that and to find whatever guidance the "sentinel" needs to help them do their work properly.

If I am still confusing anyone, I'm really, really, sorry. I don't know how else I can explain what I'm trying to do. But please ask me any questions you like, I'll answer as best as I can. But remember, I am seeking only to help other people, here, not to get into a huge discussion about what is or is not likely or possible in the Universe.

If I am still confusing anyone, I'm really, really, sorry. I don't know how else I can explain what I'm trying to do. But please ask me any questions you like, I'll answer as best as I can. But remember, I am seeking only to help other people, here, not to get into a huge discussion about what is or is not likely or possible in the Universe.

Theres's been something really familar about the whole sentinal thing thats been ringing a bell in the back on my head and ive finally put my finger on it.You are being mislead.Ive heard everything you described before.

Its in a series of books I read by an author called Catherine Spangler.Its fiction about a race called the sentinals taking mortal form and a relationship with a human etc.Sentinal fought a dark force whose name escapes me.

I think someone is playing you , honestly.

That could be the worst news ... if you're right, then this person is more cynical than I had first thought - which makes it deliberate and hostile manipulation.

Thanks, Techfreak, I'll check it out and see what other similarities there are.

Then worry ... :(

Hmmm, just read the synopsis of the first book - a couple of chilling similarities, but also a few definite dissimilarities - so, not completely certain. It's possible the person in question has used this series as a starting point for some things (first book published 2007, this all started towards the end of 2008). Still, Amazon 1.99 - dollars - and I should soon find out. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you again, but as ever if anyone else knows of something else, shall we say, less fictional :o, I'm still interested, curious and concerned.

That could be the worst news ... if you're right, then this person is more cynical than I had first thought - which makes it deliberate and hostile manipulation.

Thanks, Techfreak, I'll check it out and see what other similarities there are.

Then worry ... :(

Hmmm, just read the synopsis of the first book - a couple of chilling similarities, but not completely certain. It's possible the person in question has used it as a starting point for some things. Still, Amazon 1.99 - dollars - and I should soon find out.

Thank you again, but as ever if anyone else knows of something else, shall we say, less fictional :o, I'm still interested, curious and concerned.

No Problem.Hope it all works out well for you.If not sure hope back on and we can see what else we can dig up.

As for the book.Dont remember if beingthe best book I ever read.Although for 1.99 you cant go wrong.

TechFreak wrote: »
    As for the book.Dont remember if beingthe best book I ever read.Although for 1.99 you cant go wrong.

Pretty much my thinking, too :D

I dont think your looney I dont know you or situation to make that assumption :D I do believe their are many things we cannot or are not ready to understand.

I am only guessing but does this sentienl tell your friend she/he is gone off track and needs their help as that is why they are here on this earth plane to help and heal those that have gone off their pathway? Is she then doing rituals of any kind as her way of helping or healing that person or is she/he telling them to do certain things to rid themselves of what ever it is keeping them off their path?

The term Mr Darks comes from a work of fiction as well.
    It means that a person or group of people latch on to the idea that they are special, and in come cases not human and are here to be part of a war/crusade or some other grand purpose and are fighting against the 'dark ones' and they have a mission and it's all hush hush for the sake of the mission and the saftey of those who know about it.

It is a re occuring pattern I have seen and it ranged with young people between the ages of 15 to mid 20s in my experience and they get caught up in it and feed it and feed off it conjouring up all sorts of experiences by themselves and amoungst themselves which can be group delusions.

While I do not mean to mock anyones spiritual beliefs I always get concerned about people not being able to 'speak of such things' and setting themselves up as 'choosen' ones.

There is a notion that such experiences while they may be damaging in the short term to a person and indeed will often rip groups apart that they teach lessons about thinking for ones selve and about who and what to trust as a person embarks on an alterante spiritual or occult path.

• Advertisement

The term Mr Darks comes from a work of fiction as well.
    It means that a person or group of people latch on to the idea that they are special, and in come cases not human and are here to be part of a war/crusade or some other grand purpose and are fighting against the 'dark ones' and they have a mission and it's all hush hush for the sake of the mission and the saftey of those who know about it.

That and "cult" were the two descriptions that came to my mind when my friend started talking about it. However, I have shared some of my friend's (other) experiences and know them to be at least real within me, so I hesitate to doubt that similar shared experiences of a (radically) different nature are happening between them.
    It is a re occuring pattern I have seen and it ranged with young people between the ages of 15 to mid 20s in my experience and they get caught up in it and feed it and feed off it conjouring up all sorts of experiences by themselves and amoungst themselves which can be group delusions.

While I do not mean to mock anyones spiritual beliefs I always get concerned about people not being able to 'speak of such things' and setting themselves up as 'choosen' ones.

There is a notion that such experiences while they may be damaging in the short term to a person and indeed will often rip groups apart that they teach lessons about thinking for ones selve and about who and what to trust as a person embarks on an alterante spiritual or occult path.

My friend isn't quite so young as that, but I know that there is a great deal of pain in the past which has had to be addressed. Among my concerns is that the "sentinel" may be offering a safe haven which in the end will prove to be anything but that. There certainly seems to be much of the 'self important saviour about the "sentinel"' which comes across in other ways that I have witnessed, but my friend seems blind to them.

I must reiterate, though, that beliefs are very strong in people of an inately spiritual nature. It is exceedingly easy to be seduced by self-deception, which can be as simple as believing that two things happened in one sequence whereas in fact they were reversed.

Example, the memory might be "The light around you is red." "Yes, red is my favourite colour!"

The actual order of events could as easily have been "Red is my favourite colour." "I thought so. Your aura is red."

Result, the memory emphasises the mysterious wonder while the actuality is mere ego massage. While either might be important to a person, the mystical is by far the more attractive to someone seeking some form of spiritual enlightenment and development.

There may be better examples, but I hope you get what I mean.

I dont think your looney

You're entitled to your beliefs :D

I'm pretty sure I'm not looney, myself, as a matter of fact, but like I said before, I've an open mind about most things :D;)

x

Inter by the sounds of things your friend is been mis-lead. I would be very wary of people who feel they have been choosen to lead the way. If its spiritual enlightenment or healing needed here there are better ways to go about it such as her talking to her priest or doing some courses with reputable tutors, such as Aurthur Finlay College. A lot of the tutors there have web pages and maybe you could seek some answers there.

I wish you look in your seeking and I hope everything works out for all involved. Personally I would be keeping my distance from this situation.

Thank you, K. I'll consider what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Ok, just read through the whole thread and my impression is: swap the word sentinal with scientologist and you probably have your answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Ok, just read through the whole thread and my impression is: swap the word sentinal with scientologist and you probably have your answer!

That thought crossed my mind also

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If your instinct on this is that it is dodgy, Inter, then trust that. If this 'sentinel' person is promoting themselves, offering a life solution which is 'the only path' or similar, or if they seek to control your friend, then you are right to be wary. Such is how cults operate. They promise to show you secrets and give you salvation that non believers will not achieve. Particularly if your friend is becoming more isolated, and/or is handing over money, regardless of whether you feel this 'sentinel' is real or not, they are not operating ethically. How you help your friend is the next question.

This sentinel thing may not be such a structured system, I cant gather from your post, I could simply be one individual on an ego trip, or a group of some sort. I cant say Im well versed in all esoteric fields, far from it, but while Ive come across many of the common or garden belief systems, angels, shamans, cults, religions, etc, this is the first mention Ive heard of sentinels. That may be because I dont follow Hellraiser or comic books. ;) It does sound to me like someone latching onto popular beliefs or fiction to create either a fantasy image of themselves, or an explanation framework for whatever metaphysical oddities are going on with them.

Its hard to say what to do here. My instinct would be to introduce alternative information, other belief systems, ways of thinking about whats going on. To simply dismiss the sentinel may just cause them to get defensive. So broaden their mind so they dont see the events (whatever they are) simply in terms of this individual or sentinel system. Give them alternate explanations to think on. If your friend is immersed in this belief or very suggestible, this is a tricky path to take, but only you can judge that.

Is there no one in favour of the possibility that the sentinel may really be what they say? I know - it even sounds unlikely when I ask it - but my friend maintains that they've had experiences on an astral level that they can't otherwise explain.

Given that the sentinel is probably not behaving ethically, or at least ineptly, is there no precedent for the possibility that anyone here knows about? This is a paranormal thread, isn't it?

Sorry, but I'm getting very worried now and uncertain of what I should do next that won't destroy a friendship forever. They have already exchanged tokens and words of love, of course, as you may have guessed.

First: Isn't remote viewing an actuality?
    Second: Don't millions of people worldwide believe they have experienced astral travel?
    Third: Don't astral travellers encounter entities of all sorts?
    Fourth: Couldn't there be some people who keep the more violent of such entities from reaching us on the mundane plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I'm not in favour of this 'sentinal' doing exaclty what it says on the tin. As the old saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. That saying actually sounds better in my head then reading the words off the screen!

Anyway, have you witnessed your friend as she went on this astral plane? How was this achieved? Hypnotherapy?

You say they've exchanged tokens (? what?) and words of love. To me this guy sounds like a predator who has trapped his emotionally weak prey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

First: Isn't remote viewing an actuality?
    Second: Don't millions of people worldwide believe they have experienced astral travel?
    Third: Don't astral travellers encounter entities of all sorts?
    Fourth: Couldn't there be some people who keep the more violent of such entities from reaching us on the mundane plane?

Remote viewing as far as I know has had mixed reviews over the years. Obviously there are those that say they can achieve it, but there were scientific studies carried out in the States up until the mid 90’s that seemed to prove there was nothing actually there. Astral projection is, from what I understand of it, somewhat different, in that it’s an increased state of consciousness rather than an ability to perceive places, persons, and actions that are not within the range of the senses. I do stand to be corrected on that though. From what I have been told by others that practice Astral Projection, individuals are always subject to external forces whether in or out of body, and if they’re not experiencing anything while in bodies, it is doubtful that they will be bothered while outside of their bodies. However, if this is something they are afraid of prior to starting Astral Projection and believe in, then it’s possible to create the object of fear within them if that makes sense? To that end, if there are such beings as sentinels’, they would be unlikely to be able to do anything, as the worst conflicts would be ones created internally, and could only be resolved by the person experiencing the Astral Projection at the time.
    Good luck Inter, I hope it works out for you.

Advertisement