Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste Oil Burners & Boilers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

newmug wrote: »
    I always thought waste oil burners were illegal, does the smoke not cause cancer?

Basically yes! But I'm not too sure what the legal situation is with them. I'd be surprised if they were kosher, more than likely lads just fitting them and saying nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

How would your insurance company react if you had a diy waste oil burning stove in your sitting room and it caused a fire?

I have images in my head of a surveyor going through charred remains with a smile on his face with the thought of saving money on a payout!!

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

reilig wrote: »
    How would your insurance company react if you had a diy waste oil burning stove in your sitting room and it caused a fire?

I have images in my head of a surveyor going through charred remains with a smile on his face with the thought of saving money on a payout!!

I think the majority of waste oil burners are outside the house, in sheds or garages.But yes if anything went wrong i'd say the insurance company would give out stink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

I think the majority of waste oil burners are outside the house, in sheds or garages.But yes if anything went wrong i'd say the insurance company would give out stink

My motor trade insurance policy strictly specifies waste oil burners are not allowed. So i cant see them being covered by a residetial policy .

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ozzirt

I think too many of the detractors lead an altogether too sheltered existence. "Illegal" is some sort of large sick bird. generally used as a revenue raising excuse.

I have just finished using my heater through it's 15th winter and I'm yet to burn down the house or have a complaint regarding either visible emissions or smell. In 2011 I sent a sample of the water caught off my roof to the Occupational Health medical centre for testing.

(In Australia's hotter and drier areas most homes collect drinking water off their roofs, as clean drinking water is at a premium due to the fact that reticulated water is often lightly chlorinated and has additives such as Alum to settle out the solids) All of the results were well within the acceptable limits for potable water, with the highest reading being for non colloidal solids (dust) which I remove with a carbon filter cartridge.

At the moment the heater is in bits in my shed awaiting some cooler weather when I will give it it's second maintenance inspection and also I want to try several improvements to improve it's efficiency.

There is a central heating version of it being used in Scotland where it's owner informs me that it has saved him an average of 3000 pounds per annum in heating costs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_AVCnAzYbY

• Advertisement
Advertisement