Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste Oil Burners & Boilers

Options
  • 27-08-2009 3:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4

I have a load of waste oil that I'm going to have to pay to get rid of. However I thought of using this oil for something useful. I have heard of waste oil burners for garages and workshops and waste oil boilers for home heating. Has anyone had any experiences which these and could your recommend a good boiler/burner. I have spoken to a few different companies but they all seem very expensive to purchase. I did find one company that is selling burners and boilers for a very reasonable price but I would like to hear if anyone has dealt with them and how they got on. They Are called <snip> in cavan. I would appreciate and help in this area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭paudie2005

Have you tried Kenair in Tipperary?(ive no link to them).
    Im aware of a person who is using the waste oil boiler for their home and and to my knowledge also uses on for numerous apartments which are in the one complex. There is a small amount of powdery waste to be disposed of about every month. So far they are quite pleased with it

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ozzirt

If you are a hoarder of "come in handy" stuff, and don't mind doing it yourself.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122071

See my home made heater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

We have a large one in work.

It uses a lot of burnt oil. It also produces a good bit of the white powdery ash that has been mentioned.

There is an element in a small reservoir beside the burner that has the oil near to boiling before it is used.

I knew of a guy that had a pot belly stove in his workshop, linked to an old creamery can with a steel brake pipe running from the churn to the stove. He used to throw in an airfilter in the morning and start the drip feed from the creamery can.

It used to glow with the heat!

Yes Slidey, there are many ways in which you can get these things to work, some seem to work better than others.

For example, I seem to have got the issues of smoke and smell beaten, but my "ash" is mostly black and quite crusty needing a screw driver or something similar to get out of the burner pan. It only takes two minutes, but it means that you have to turn the heater off and let it cool before you can touch it. That take at least 30 -40 minutes.

I usually turn mine off when I go to bed and clean it first thing in the morning.

My heater does not need the oil to be pre-heated, as the oil drips into a steel "gutter" inside bottom pan, once the heater has been warmed up for ten minutes, this is very hot and heats the oil before it runs off the end into the pan.

I'm the first to admit that my heater is not perfect, it looks a bit agricultural:D but it does provide me with virtually free heat for six months of the year.
    IMG_2280m.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

You can also use it to generate your own electricity :D
    His site is very interesting, he also has a vid on Utube

http://www.volvoxengineering.com/Fuel.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭momec

i have a waste oil boiler which i made my self i have used around one thousand gallons of oil so far and it heats 13 rads an heats the water as well . every type of oil it burns from cooking to gear 80/90 , it leaves a little ash but i clean it every day an it only leaves a small shovel full or so, it uses no electricity only gravity for oil and a circulating pump for the water, its manualy controled oil flow the more heat you require the more oil you let in , once i got used to it it just goes on its own

Are you able to post a photo?

These things interest me greatly and I'm always looking for ways to improve mine. I would like to connect mine to my hot water tank, but it would need a circulation pump and i fear that the cost of running it would cancel out any advantages of having the heater connected.

I can't move the hot water supply or the heater.

I showed the old lad yours ozzirt and I saw a glint in his eye.

Reckon he will be scouring the workshop for 2 drums that will fit together easily!

Good for him!! Slidey...

There is a copy of my drawings at:
    http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/senojekips/FrontView.gif
    http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/senojekips/SideView.gif

If you go to my home page on YouTube there are a few other bits 'n' pieces as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ozzirt

I got sick and tired of seeing these people selling the plans to make oil heaters. None that i have seen are any better than mine, so I put mine out for nothing.

The body is made of two semi trailer brake drums, the worn out ones are given away by trucking companies but still over 1/2" thick so they are perfect for making into oil heaters or pot belly stoves. below is a photo where you can see two different types of brake drums that fit together with an airtight seal, one rim inside the other. Disregard the pieces on top, I've got plans for them too.;)

IMG_2496mconverted.jpg

That a centre out of a twin plate clutch that you have between the drums?

• Advertisement

Slidey wrote: »
    That a centre out of a twin plate clutch that you have between the drums?
    Aha!! we have a man with a mechanical bent. Yes, it certainly is, it's out of a Mack prime mover and will be used to make a baffle to go inside my heater. The hole in the centre being blocked by two firebricks placed on top, the idea being to force the flame and hot flue gas out to the walls of the firebox instead of just going straight up through the centre and out the flue. It does not fit as you see it here though, I have to cut and grind some slots into the lower drum and taper the four spurs on the clutch plate so they sit in the slots and allow the two drums to fit together nice and tight.

The secondary flame tube in my heater is also another cast off truck part it is an old 137mm cylinder liner. They are excellent as cast iron resists heat very well and does not warp, it is also nice and soft to drill.

i will put on pictures this weekend and try to explain how it works i also try an give measurements as well . a circulating pump only costs a few pence to run , a litre of new oil would cover the cost of running it per day if you had to buy it , this boiler i made takes about a litre of oil or so per hour unless its very cold .

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

We have a waste oil burner in the garage and we were told by Kildare county council that they should be licenced and that the envoirmental department would be in contact:(

i presume you asked the council about regulations. this boiler cost me around 300 euro to make an install it's about quarter price of a condensing one . it cost nothing for oil just a match to light it an 20 cents a day to run a circulating pump , also i made it big enough so i could put logs an turf into, i even cut pallets in half an put them in . ill post up pictures when my broadband allows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

If anyone is looking for waste oil for a burner PM me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 bluepost

<snip>

Shill be gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I have about 150 liters of used engine, ATF and gear oil if anyone would make use of it... It's all 'clean' in so much as it's been drained into a clean pan each time and emptied into drums, without being left exposed to dirt/water etc. PM me if it'd be of any use. I'm located in Roundwood, Wicklow, but could probably meet somewhere around Gorey too if that'd help.

Will be disposing of in January otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 True Expose

Bluepost is <snip>

looking at all your other wasteoil.ie related posts.

You assume the customer is stupid. You should have more respect for the intelligence of the people using this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Bluepost is <snip>

You assume the customer is stupid. You should have more respect for the intelligence of the people using this site.

have to agree with you...very strange! :)

Bluepost is <snip>

Thank you.

In future please report the post by clicking report.gif this icon.

Bluepost is permabanned from here now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

We have a waste oil burner in the garage and we were told by Kildare county council that they should be licenced and that the envoirmental department would be in contact:(

What's their problem? I thought waste oil gets burned anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 True Expose

Thanks to Slidey and Coolmouse. We shall not be conned ;)

this is one i made i've it linked to a out door boiler as well a solid fuel cooker inside it saves about six hundred euros worth a kero every year heats 13 rads till their nearly bent with heat have a good few more picts only i'm not very good at drivin a computer

Very good. If you can please post up some pics of the burner assy and how you set it up.

Thanks

Slidey wrote: »
    Very good. If you can please post up some pics of the burner assy and how you set it up.

Thanks

i'll take a few picts of it in action an post tomoro eve if i'm home on time

• Registered Users Posts: 1 John Michael Moran

I read your message on board.ie and wonder how you got on since then.I know it was 2008 but i have a garage and am interested in finding out about waste oil burners for home and work. Please let me know if you made any progress.
    Regards
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

Just for information please be aware that burning waste oil in a manner not compliant with the European Waste Incineration Directive..I.e. residence time of 2 seconds at a temp above 850 degrees and with an EPA license and associated monitoring is illegal in Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland. Still legal in England and Wales if you have a permit from the local council but looks like that is soon to be changed.

http://www.epa.ie/irelandsenvironment/faq/answer,27115,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

you can take waste oil into the recycling centers for free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I always thought waste oil burners were illegal, does the smoke not cause cancer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

newmug wrote: »
    I always thought waste oil burners were illegal, does the smoke not cause cancer?
    You better stop using that Hitachi so.:D

Advertisement