Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from BT to Vodafone, Password?

Options
  • 27-08-2009 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    So I am changing from BT to Vodafone (didn't want to wait for the changeover!) and my broadband has gone from 1 to 3mb but its still BT password and the IP is still esat according to my router, will this change or whats happening?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Do you have a username and password from Vodafone yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

nope, nothing from them but its logging onto my 192.168.1.254, speed is now 3072 and dns servers are still esat and still using my old bt username and passwork. speedtest says I am indeed getting this speed. Just wondering when the actual change occurs....

The speed is controlled by eircom, and that has obviously changed now. The change to Vodafone happens whenever you enter the new username and password. Ring them and see if you can set them up now. Otherwise, you'll have to wait till they post out your welcome pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

Username : Vodafone @ VODAFONE .IE (without spaces)

password : broadband

Just found out from vodafone today.
    Spent ages waiting for support to pick up.

same here, rang and was waiting for ages. The guy said that BT in my case leaves it on for 2 weeks as goodwill until I enter the new details into the router hence why it was still working grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

I'm suprised you moved to Vodafone, BT are merging with them so you will automatically become a Vodafone customer in a few months time.

2 reasons, needed a new modem and secondly, wanted 3mb now and a few months could be a while

Rockin wrote: »
    Username : Vodafone @ VODAFONE .IE (without spaces)

Just found out from vodafone today.
    Spent ages waiting for support to pick up.

That can't be right. The username is how eircom knows which reseller you're with, and how the billing goes to the right place. A generic username is only allowed with eircom, since it's your phone line that identifies you in that case.

There will be a generic username to access the router.
    TheDriver wrote: »
    2 reasons, needed a new modem and secondly, wanted 3mb now and a few months could be a while

BT could have upgraded your speeds, you didn't need to change for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Hi guys,

Is every BT customer being switched to Vodaphone? I think I remember the news reports saying it was most but not all. Vodaphone is considerably cheaper (7mb for €49 including line rental as opposed to BTs €42.67 ex line rental), will the switch over also include the reduction in price? How can we find out if we're being switched over?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Nuphor

Does switching DSL providers nowadays still see you incur some downtime? I was thinking of switching from BT to Vodafone sometime soon too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

jor el wrote: »
    That can't be right. The username is how eircom knows which reseller you're with, and how the billing goes to the right place. A generic username is only allowed with eircom, since it's your phone line that identifies you in that case.

There will be a generic username to access the router.
    Vodafone use CSID as well as Eircom, once the line is active, the router will automatically connect.

Nuphor wrote: »
    Does switching DSL providers nowadays still see you incur some downtime? I was thinking of switching from BT to Vodafone sometime soon too.

Not from one reseller to another. If going for LLU, there will be some.

i know BT would increase my speed but I wanted it now, not in 3 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭swoofer

I bet vodafone will know we pay a lot more and discontimue their scheme pronto. I always wondered why BT had an offer of 1 free month if we signed up for a further 12?? Locked us in so they could do a deal with vodafone.

I dread switching as they will make me lose connection for days and cant afford that.

gb--

• Registered Users Posts: 40 shanebrk

GBCULLEN wrote: »

I dread switching as they will make me lose connection for days and cant afford that.

gb--

I switched over from eircom and it was switched off last night about 9 o'clock and the new router arrived in the post today. I wasn't left without service for very long at all
    . just plugged it in and it works, just gotta set up xbox live now

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    I bet vodafone will know we pay a lot more and discontimue their scheme pronto. I always wondered why BT had an offer of 1 free month if we signed up for a further 12?? Locked us in so they could do a deal with vodafone.

gb--

There is so much wrong info out there with posts like this, read BTs FAQ on their website, even if you are in a 12 month contract period, you will be offered to switch to a new vodafone contract and serve out the remaining months or you can leave with no penalty. Also Vodafone will keep their offers because there is a lot of eircom etc customers they want to get. I think we are all bit cynical about this, I changed to vodafone from BT and its as it says on the tin for a much cheaper price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭homer911

Can anyone on Vodafone billing confirm that they charge you extra for voicemail?

BT dont seem to charge for this

according to the website, yes 1.50 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'm currently a BT customer (have been for years, so no contract). I'm having problems with my wireless router, and the vodafone packages would suit me better. Would it be worth my while switching over?

That would mean a new 12 month contract, right (because I'm opting to switch rather than waiting for the automatic switchover)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Vodafone use CSID as well as Eircom, once the line is active, the router will automatically connect.

you sure, i was in with someone last week who's bb stopped working when he switched 3 weeks before, it changed username to vodafone@vodafone.ie and password to password1 and it worked stright away

• Advertisement

depends if the operators coperate, BT left mine on for 2 weeks while vodafone also worked whereas others don't i.e. one switches off when other switches on.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Hi all,
    So I am changing from BT to Vodafone (didn't want to wait for the changeover!) and my broadband has gone from 1 to 3mb but its still BT password and the IP is still esat according to my router, will this change or whats happening?
    TheDriver - Do you need to cancel the existing BT service, or is this handled as part of the switchover, when you provide your UAT number?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Hi All,

I was setting up vodafone broadband for my cousins last night, and ran into a small problem, once it was all set up and plugged in there, there was no internet light on the modem.

I have eircom broadband at home, and assumed there should be a username and password to log on to the vodafone broadband, similar to eircom. I tried the info below and that didn't work, along with the router registration password which is 1234 by default. I rang vodafone support, and after 40 mins on hold, hung up.
    Rockin wrote: »
    Username : Vodafone @ VODAFONE .IE

So does anyone know what the username and password is for vodafone broadband, from reading their support page, it should be just plug and play, no need to enter a password.

Thanks

Can't remember exactly, but try password: vodafone
    Also don't make the embarrasingly dumb mistake I made, and plugged in the DSL filter before the modem/router, which dropped my D/l speed to 0.6Mb. :o

In my defence, I just did it automatically, as my old router came with a DSL/Phone splitter filter. This router has it's own phone port. I was also impressed to see that it had a USB port for USB Hard drive or printer sharing (and another fairly useless USB port for a Vodafone 3G dongle).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Cheers Krusty, I will text the cousin now, and tell him to try that.

I am changing from Eircom to Vodafone too(only ordered this week), I have my own router and will be using that, so I am going need this log on info for myself too when it is changed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

I rang up yesterday and moved to Vodafone from BT. The reason I didn't wait for the automatic change is that Vodafone is a good bit cheaper and I might as well be availing of the savings now than waiting a few months.

If you are a Vodafone mobile customer, it's cheaper again.

dubmick wrote: »
    I rang up yesterday and moved to Vodafone from BT. The reason I didn't wait for the automatic change is that Vodafone is a good bit cheaper and I might as well be availing of the savings now than waiting a few months.

If you are a Vodafone mobile customer, it's cheaper again.
    You do of course become subject to a 12 month contract, which you wouldn't it you waited for the automatic switchover (but can avail of the free wireless router). I have to say, I'm very happy with the new service/product. I'm just waiting for BT to bill me next month, even though they have committed to not doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

I was told I wouldn't have to sign a new contract.

You don't. If you wait for the automatic switchover.
    If you go early (as I did) you are a new customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭homer911

How do they decide what modem to give you. I switched early and got a Zytel(?) modem - no USB port. The USB only seems to be on the Bewan modem

Advertisement