Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Brother to be axed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Little Brother? Some sort of dwarf spin-off?

:p

Now that I would watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Agreed, but many BB viewers watch a 1 hr programme every day = 7hrs per week. Many sports fans watch more sport than this on a weekly basis, soap fans watch the same amount also.

Just curious as to the depth of feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

Good riddance to bad rubbish that began to stink at least ten years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Who knows? They could even be sleepy, bashful or sneezy ;)

As long as not Dopey. :pac:

Long Onion wrote: »
    Agreed, but many BB viewers watch a 1 hr programme every day = 7hrs per week. Many sports fans watch more sport than this on a weekly basis, soap fans watch the same amount also.

For me, they are actors who sometimes entertain, draw people in while actual earning a living doing what they do - and thats fair enough.
    If they fail to entertain, they get sacked.
    Same with sports folk, they move, work, train and entertain.

A couple of unskilled boring no-hoper's absolutely stuck on our screen for hours daily within the equivalent of a four walled cage, is just pure schite to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Then, there's the saddos who watch the live feeds! Who stays awake at four AM watching people on TV sleeping?

Better than watching people sleep from the tree outside their window.

10/10 for that new pink chemise btw, keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Biggins wrote: »
    For me, they are actors who sometimes entertain, draw people in while actual earning a living doing what they do - and thats fair enough.
    If they fail to entertain, they get sacked.
    Same with sports folk, they move, work, train and entertain.

A couple of unskilled boring no-hoper's absolutely stuck on our screen for hours daily within the equivalent of a four walled cage, is just pure schite to me.

I agree with you on this, I personally would rather watch paint dry, but in principle, if some misguided souls find it entertaining then so be it. I hate soccer as a means of entertainment but many would baulk at the fact that it could be mentioned in the same breath as Big Brother.

There isn't really a co-herent argument against this programme at all, it's just gut feeling that it is a waste of precious life hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Channel 4 are axing the show but it being sold to another channel

Its finishes on Channel 4 in 2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

yes!!! no more wannabes going on it to get famous for sitting on their ass all day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

There's a lot of poxy "celeb" magazines gonna go out of business soon..good bloody riddance to them also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

this past few years , the length of time they are in the house has definatley been extended , when it started , it was about 8 - 10 weeks , not its closer to 20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Degsy wrote: »
    There's a lot of poxy "celeb" magazines gonna go out of business soon..good bloody riddance to them also.
    Such as VIP.

What an awful publication! Breeding Z listers since its inception :mad:

Degsy wrote: »

True. Every time I'd go into a newspaper shop I'd see staring up at me from the likes of The Star, the equivalent of "Todays Big Brother News".
    ...and each time I'd see it, I'd think "Who really, seriously gives a fcuk!" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

laugh wrote: »
    10/10 for that new pink chemise btw, keep up the good work.

I'm confused now...
    As long as not Dopey. :pac:

I first read that as "As long as not Degsy"

I was thinking it was a bit cruel! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

True. Every time I'd go into a newspaper shop I'd see staring up at me from the likes of The Star, the equivalent of "Todays Big Brother News".
    ...and each time I'd see it, I'd think "Who really, seriously gives a fcuk!" :rolleyes:

Obvioulsy there are enough braindead shiites out there to keep this crud in business...its symptomatic of the declining standards of intelligence across the board that people would even want to be on such a travesty of a show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Long Onion wrote: »

Comparing football to Big Brother. I mean wtf?

Football brings joy to billions around the world. Encourages people to go out and play themselves = excersize, social interaction etc etc.

Big Brother = A load of twats who'll do anything to be famous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Thanks **** for that, awful awful ****ing piece of **** television show and it started all this reality TV bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I'm confused now...

It was a joke, first pointing out that watching someone through a window from a tree was worse and then an incredibly witty punch-line about admiring your latest bedtime clothes purchase.

He shoots, . . . miss!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Like I said in the TV forum, BB is only appreciated by the kind of people who think Heat magazine is essential reading. I couldn't be happier that the show responsible for Jade Goody and Jade Goody wannabies has hopefully had the plug pulled on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Don't like it? Don't watch..

It's hard I know.
    If only it were that easy? Even if you don't watch it, you are constantly bombarded with Big Brother news on television, radio and newspapers in particular. The media dedicate more coverage to this kind of puke television than is warranted. It really is modern day consumption at its worst, full of snobbish, fake and talentless individuals who seem to believe the world revolves around them.

• Advertisement

laugh wrote: »
    It was a joke, first pointing out that watching someone through a window from a tree was worse and then an incredibly witty punch-line about admiring your latest bedtime clothes purchase.

He shoots, . . . miss!

I liked that line, quite apt given the references to football in this thread :D

Thanks for explaining the joke, kind of ruined it but this is what happens when I have a blonde moment. Happens all the time, much to my embarrassment.

Considering I now get the joke ... I'll be reporting you to the guards ;) But thanks for the compliment anyway, Buster!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Hallelujah. Show was really getting on my tits (If I had any) :o

Being honest, when Big Brother first came out, I was excited by the show and took an interest in it. It was a completely new, fresh idea and people were very receptive of it.

However, a few years down the line, people, myself included, became tired of it. Didn't matter what "new characters" they brought into the house - the format of the show remained the same and it just wasn't original anymore. It became old news, very fast.

Reality TV shows such as Big Brother always have a certain shelf life. It would seem Big Brother's been in the Bargain Bin for the past nine years and now finally, they're getting rid of it :P Shame they waited until all the show's credibility was long gone.

I think the producers got greedy, as well as lazy - "how much money can we make, while doing as little as possible?"
    Summer after summer, they churned the same crap out; "15 nutters. A house. No privacy."
    Virtually no effort goes into the show, bar the audition process. All they have to do is set up the cameras then sit back and let the fools who want to make it big do all the work and provide the "entertainment" for viewers.

Joke's on them though, because the backlash to Big Brother this year was worse than ever - ratings were way down, press coverage was down and the general message being sent was ; No one cares anymore.

It wasn't so much Big Brother as Annoying Perverted Distant Relative Who Won't Take The Hint And Leave Me Alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

It's about time. Personally I think it should have been cancelled 6 or 7 years ago.

It's about time. Personally I think it should have been cancelled 6 or 7 years ago.

You'd be right there, Ted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

YAY! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Reality TV shows such as Big Brother always have a certain shelf life.

Yeah, about 5-10 minutes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Great. Now can all other forms of reality TV just **** right off as well by any chance? Celebrity farm, celebrity dance crap, celebrity-I'm-a-nobody-make-me-famous, celebrity-I-was-famous-make-me-famous-again....etc zzzzzz

"People sitting in their homes, watching people sitting in their homes!! ****in idiots!!" - Billy Connolly. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Hold on a minute horse!!

Where do all the thick necked gobby people who are too lazy to get an education go now.??

English Football.... nope full of fordiners.

Reality Shows...nope .. they are gone.

Lotto Millions.. nope too risky...

Boy/Girl bands... nope you have to have some talent.

Event managers... nope... no events.

back to school boys and girls:D

• Advertisement

Boy/Girl bands... nope you have to have some talent.

I refer you to Kerry Katona once being in 'Atomic Kitten'

:p

Advertisement