Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some metal im currently working on

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

will have a final (ish :pac:) mix up later today. just bringing it down to the batcave to run it thru a studer a80 2 track :cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭SeanHurley

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Interesting .

I don't think there has been one Metal band into Joe's yet.

I had a metal band down there Paul, pre SSL and pre downstairs being there. They have since broken up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

you seem to have taken on board all the comments very polished output

im still available ? :)

im sure the band love it too!

the name could be improved but thats off subject

ad thanks for the update I was wondering about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

band is from newry, called ozzmium. recorded it in the engine room thru the amek rembrandt.

outboard used:

1176 silver face
    distressor
    la audio comps
    drawmer 1960
    neve pre

mics:
    drums - the usual suspects (57, 421, 414 etc)
    rhythm guitars - re27, sm57
    lead guitars - re27, 414
    bass - DI and re-amped (ampeg svx head)
    vox - u87, 414

this is only the first test mix so any opinions would be nice and appreciated :)

http://rapidshare.com/files/271703469/PRAY_FOR_REIGN_TEST_MASTER.mp3.html

You want opinion on recording or the type of music you feature?
    I guess you are prety comfortable with the type of music you play or you wouldnt be doing it? Though I thought the drums were sloppy in places, maybe a consequence of not being full in the mix. Guitar solo was most liberating thing from the chunk chunk & vocal squarm presented. All these people will tell you you sound great, why? because they listen to nothing different..nothing real to compare you to..there must be one among you to listen to reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

Colpriz wrote: »
    I guess you are prety comfortable with the type of music you play or you wouldnt be doing it? Though I thought the drums were sloppy in places, maybe a consequence of not being full in the mix. Guitar solo was most liberating thing from the chunk chunk & vocal squarm presented. All these people will tell you you sound great, why? because they listen to nothing different..nothing real to compare you to..there must be one among you to listen to reason?

Riiiiiiiight. Anyway.

Overall sounding pretty good. Good and fairly plausible separation between the instruments.

The rhythm guitars could have had a bit more spread/heft and could have been sitting closer around the (main singing) vocals which I think stands a bit too forward in spots. There was some talk of reamping (maybe) so I don't know if you went that route, but a lot of times that classic metal rhythm guitar sound is down to doubling of tight performances. Panning a track hard left and hard right and then shifting one back a few samples can work ok in situations like that too. I also think looking at the guitars used, a good Les Paul would have brought a heft to proceedings that wouldn't have done any harm. An auld Royer 121/122 or a multi-amp set up wouldn't have gone astray either. All that said they are sounding respectable, and just like the above poster I thought the solo sounded pretty good, too ;-)

Otherwise I think the rhythm section is sitting nicely together and sounds typical/respectable for the kind of music.

Overall, buladh bos. I presume the lads in the band are happy with it?

• Advertisement

.. ok... not my band dude

Riiiiiiiight. Anyway.

Overall sounding pretty good. Good and fairly plausible separation between the instruments.

The rhythm guitars could have had a bit more spread/heft and could have been sitting closer around the (main singing) vocals which I think stands a bit too forward in spots. There was some talk of reamping (maybe) so I don't know if you went that route, but a lot of times that classic metal rhythm guitar sound is down to doubling of tight performances. Panning a track hard left and hard right and then shifting one back a few samples can work ok in situations like that too. I also think looking at the guitars used, a good Les Paul would have brought a heft to proceedings that wouldn't have done any harm. An auld Royer 121/122 or a multi-amp set up wouldn't have gone astray either. All that said they are sounding respectable, and just like the above poster I thought the solo sounded pretty good, too ;-)

Otherwise I think the rhythm section is sitting nicely together and sounds typical/respectable for the kind of music.

Overall, buladh bos. I presume the lads in the band are happy with it?

cheers man,

yeah, given a 2nd go at it i'd probably change a few things here and there. time being one of them :). we only had 1 day and there was a 3 hour wobble before we got the first drum track down. but overall im happy with it and the lads are too. so its all good :)

edit: just listening back i may just lift the kick a touch... does it ever end? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

All these people will tell you you sound great, why? because they listen to nothing different..nothing real to compare you to..there must be one among you to listen to reason?

Now I see the truth, we are all just licking up to eachother. We are pushing are tongues in and out, slowly. Thank you master.

right, took the mix down. wanna re-visit the kick..

wil post up another "final" version soon :pac:

dav nagle wrote: »
    Now I see the truth, we are all just licking up to eachother. We are pushing are tongues in and out, slowly. Thank you master.

dav you saucy minx...

• Advertisement

right, brought the drums up a touch and pulled the singing vocal back a slight touch.. fingers crossed

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TYWFL0AB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭tubedude

I'm sure you guys are gonna pick out something, but I think it's sounds mighty! Has more 'oomph' to it with the new kick. Vocals sit better too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

right, brought the drums up a touch and pulled the singing vocal back a slight touch.. fingers crossed

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TYWFL0AB

Definitely sounding a bit more together. Did you change something on the guitars? There were previously a bit more toppy?

Definitely sounding a bit more together. Did you change something on the guitars? There were previously a bit more toppy?

no, the guitars stayed the same. possibly when the drums came up the OH took over a lot of the top end?

all i did was raise the drums and then when i was (ahem ;)) "mastering" it, i eased off on the limiter to let the transients thru a touch more.

oh hang on, i took of a touch of m/s eq on the master. i'd pushed the side highs a touch. i'd say thats why the guitars arent as bright now.

Advertisement