Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A top games ever list I can almost agree with

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I would have had Super Mario World at no.1

Also I would have added Mario Kart and PES 5 to the list too.

Pro Evolution Soccer 3 was the best. That said, I have been playing PES 6 solidly for a year and I love that, but PES 3 is brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Super Mario World is probably the single best game I have ever played, the love that went into the game is obvious in every sprite design, every level, the way the game gives and gives to the player, when lesser titles would have ended days before.
    Genius, and that generosity of spirit on the developers part is unlikely to be seen again :(

But at least we have it's contemporaries like Zelda A Link to the Past and Super Metroid, plenty to keep us occupied.

And three games that, no matter what Nintendo formats are to come, I will buy them, again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Super Mario World is probably the single best game I have ever played, the love that went into the game is obvious in every sprite design, every level, the way the game gives and gives to the player, when lesser titles would have ended days before.
    Genius, and that generosity of spirit on the developers part is unlikely to be seen again :(

But at least we have it's contemporaries like Zelda A Link to the Past and Super Metroid, plenty to keep us occupied.

And three games that, no matter what Nintendo formats are to come, I will buy them, again...

Miyamoto said his was not happy with Mario World, he said it could of been better if it was not for the time constraints.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah Super Mario World was a very rushed game. It's amazing that it turned out so great. Imagine the game Miyamoto would have given us if he hadn't been rushed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Super Mario World was rushed?
    You've got to be kidding!
    If only all developers were so rushed!

I woud love to see a proper sequel, with an over-world navigable map and everything, I know Yoshis Island was a sequel of sorts, but it was linear like Super Mario Bros.

I wonder if it'll ever happen, or will Miyamoto gradually poison the well with stuff like the upcoming New Super Mario Bros Wii. It could turn out brilliant, but I want to see some epic single player platforming please.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep it was rushed, think they got the game out in 9 months. It's obvious it was made on a development system when the fina SNES specs weren't set in stone because the game only uses about half the power of the snes. I know this because on my P100 it was the only SNES game along with UN squadron that ran on my system at full speed :)

Still, feckin great game, although in retrospect, it's not so different from the great Nes title Super Mario Bros 3, graphically at least.
    UN Squadron, hmmm, must break that out and give it a lash, used to like that game in the arcades, back in the day, never lasted terribly long mind you, but there you go..

UN Squadron on the arcade is only ok. You should try the SNES version, it's way better and improved in loads of areas. Those idiots at screwattack have it as their no. 1 best shoot'em up ever but they are way off the mark. It's still rather good it very difficult and the boss in the caves is very unfair if you aren't expecting it.

I really like the un squadron sequel Carrier Airwing in the arcades. It's another excellent game and not too difficult, I 1 credited it with not much practice at all.

I was a tad unconventional in the games I loved in the arcades,
    my faves were Jackal, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Hellfire and Starblade.
    Ah well, sure if we all liked the same thing it'd be a boring world, no?

Advertisement