Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A top games ever list I can almost agree with

Options
  • 26-08-2009 11:48am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I usually hate top X games ever lists but this one I actually kind of agree with. It's from the second edition of gamespite quarterly, a magazine set up as a response to the dissolution of EGM with many of their old hands on board. There's minor things like the no Fallout, deus ex or system shock 2 and I personally hate FFXII but other than that it's a pretty damn good list.

http://www.gamespite.net/toastywiki/index.php/Site/Issue15TableOfContents

Funnily enough the only other top X game ever list I ever had respect for was EGMs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A top ten list without OOT, Mario 64 & Final Fantasy VII? About feckin time!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    A top ten list without OOT, Mario 64 & Final Fantasy VII? About feckin time!

Here here! and Super Metroid in it's rightful place.

Actually no Final Fantasy VII but Suikoden 2, Persona 3, FFIX, FFTactics and FFVI (no panzer dragoon saga :( )

Also Majoras mask and link to the past above OoT

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I disagree with the omission of Mario 64, but yeah -- the 16bit is strong with this one! :D

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    (no panzer dragoon saga :( )

Also a complete omission of SNK releases. Sadly it seems to be the way with most of these western lists. Hopefully GMOTW being released on the xbox will see a change to that somewhat.

Would have thought Metal Slug would have at least made it though.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    but yeah -- the 16bit is strong with this one! :D

You mean 8-bit/16-bit Nintendo is strong with this one! Almost takes every one of the top ten slots.

I'd try to argue against it but I can't. They really are all fantastic games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well the list was produced by a bunch of americans. EGM staff famously have an unhealthy obsession with all things nintendo and street fighter since it's what they grew up with. Still at least even though a lot of it is populist stuff it's populist stuff that well deserves it's place in the list.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

From what I have read, Americans are actually very familar with NeoGeo titles from the arcades. More so than folk over this direction. The big red cabinets were all over the place. Sure Michael Jackson even had one in his games room.

But yeah, I totally agree with everything there deserving a place in the top. Great to see Mega Man 2 get the attention it deserves.

This site has some really nice (if short) editorials -- really love the 3rd Strike article.

From what I have read, Americans are actually very familar with NeoGeo titles from the arcades. More so than folk over this direction. The big red cabinets were all over the place. Sure Michael Jackson even had one in his games room.

Don't underestimate how much these guys love Street Fighter :)

I'm going to give those editorials a read. Everything in those mags will eventually appear on hte site, they are releasing it as a print mag for collectors. Jeremy Parish on retronauts is great so I know I'm going to like the stuff on this site.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Great list, but no Mario Kart :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Did I read that right, FF 11 and 12? FFS. Some nice picks but bull**** in the end with those inclusions.

• Advertisement

Actually it's FF9 which is a fantastic game and gets a lot undeserving flak from people who were expecting another emo fest.

FF11 would never get on a list like that, it's a dreadful MMO.

FF12 I can agree with you on. I bored the arse off me. I only finished it because of the name attached.

The top 10 is like a Nintendo fanboy's wetdream.

You can't deny that they aren't deserving of being there.

There is a world of games deserving to be there. Wtf, did they just grow up with a Super Nintendo in America? It's unbalanced. God damn Yankies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not sure about that list at all, very biased towards japanese developed games, and most of them seem to be for the Nintendo.
    I personally think there are so many great games it'd be easy to come up with several top 20 lists and have plenty of contradicitons, but this is the fun, the debate that follows such listings!
    Games on the list I would zero interest in and so can't appreciate why they're there,
    Alpha Centauri, Valkyrie Profile, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter,
    Planescape: Torment, Cave Story, Suikoden II, StarCraft and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Way too many Jap RPGs, too many turn based strategy, a definite love affair going on with 2D, 8/16 bit games, hey Retro, it's no wonder you love this list!
    No Mario 64?
    No racing games?

In truth the list reminds of all those games I used to see advertised in the back of EGM back in the mid 90's, lots of imported Snes games, collectibles and the like, as said these guys are americans so that's probably where they got their obvious bias from.

And, having played them to death, Metroid Prime is superior to Super Metroid for me, seriously, the best 3D update to a game series since Mario 64 and Zelda OoT.

"Top XX" lists should be renamed "Top Games I, the writer, ever played", then no-one can disagree anymore :)

No Halo = Win :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Halo=God

Fact is, even with the occasional repitition of scenery, mainly in interior settings, the game still captures something, cinematic, and drops you into a warzone the likes of which was never really done before.
    I love it, most people love it, not so many don't tbh.
    The weapons are well balanced, the solution to driving a vehicle in a console FPS without breaking from the controls of an FPS is inspired, the enemy behaviour is convincing, all in all a wonderful game.

And one that absolutely deserves an entry into any top games list out there.
    You can keep Modern Warfare 2, I'll take Halo 3 ODST thank you very much.

Plus, I'm playing the non retro Wolfenstein on the PS3 right now and it's everything the original was, great fun, solid weapons and lots of Nazis having facial itches scratched with machine guns!

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Halo=God

!

LoGiE - Can we please have an addition to the charter stating that anyone who mentions Halo will be stoned to death?

Think of it as the new Jehovah.

Ie - #
    “All I said was, that piece of halibut was good enough for ..'

Halo=God

Fact is, even with the occasional repitition of scenery, mainly in interior settings, the game still captures something, cinematic, and drops you into a warzone the likes of which was never really done before.
    I love it, most people love it, not so many don't tbh.
    The weapons are well balanced, the solution to driving a vehicle in a console FPS without breaking from the controls of an FPS is inspired, the enemy behaviour is convincing, all in all a wonderful game.

And one that absolutely deserves an entry into any top games list out there.
    You can keep Modern Warfare 2, I'll take Halo 3 ODST thank you very much.

Plus, I'm playing the non retro Wolfenstein on the PS3 right now and it's everything the original was, great fun, solid weapons and lots of Nazis having facial itches scratched with machine guns!

Nurse! We need 50ml of good taste stat!

(I refuse to turn this into a halo rant because my own rants are even beginning to bore myself)

• Advertisement

Damn, all of Retro's current easy psychological triggers are no longer effective, must do more research and find more trigger words, hmm, will have to try a couple out...

Final Fantasy Sucks

Disgea stinks

Persona 3 is for girls

A love of 2D graphics is natures way of telling you to get those cataracts seen to.

A love of turn based games is natures way of telling you to play chess instead.

Now, we wait and see what happens......

Damn, all of Retro's current easy psychological triggers are no longer effective, must do more research and find more trigger words, hmm, will have to try a couple out...

I'm actually in fear of getting a well deserved temporary ban for going totally off topic again with another Halo rant.
    Final Fantasy Sucks

Meh some are good. It's no Megaten though.
    Disgea stinks

I tried the Nippon Ichi games and for some reason they never appealed me.
    Persona 3 is for girls

Oh no, you didn't just go there!
    A love of 2D graphics is natures way of telling you to get those cataracts seen to.

How dare you!
    A love of turn based games is natures way of telling you to play chess instead.

You mother ****er!
    Now, we wait and see what happens......

hulk.jpg

Retr0 smash!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

LoGiE - Can we please have an addition to the charter stating that anyone who mentions Halo will be stoned to death?

Think of it as the new Jehovah.

Ie - #
    “All I said was, that piece of halibut was good enough for ..'

I like it... but seriously lets not go down the Halo route again! :D

*Dusts of Sword of Banage

Incidentally: Persona 3 Portable will let you play as a girl.
    Fanart came within hours of the announcement.
    Godbless, Japan.
    50fba2e84217aaf047363b21fab5f20c.jpg

Retro, you really need help.
    And happily I know just the place, with beautiful sea views, nicely appointed dormitory sleeping arrangments, anti-psychotic medication on demand and a room with rubber wall paper for those H*LO moments.
    And I work there.
    And if you happen to start pulling all your own teeth out with a shoelace, so be it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Final Fantasy Sucks

Disgea stinks

Persona 3 is for girls

You cut me deep, CiDeRmAn :(

I have Persona 3, but have yet to play it, too busy with Gradius Collection on the PSP and Far Cry 2 and Wolfenstein on the PS3.
    And everytime I play Disgea I do one of two things
    1: Get a headache from thinking too much..
    2: Fall Asleep.

now the second one is not so bad as I do this with most games these days, especially Gran Turismo titles, go figure...

This piece of fanart was out literally hours after the female protagonist was announced.

7dc5de099ef2efd5e064335.jpg

A an example of one handed art,

With one hand on the pen and one hand, somewhere else....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I would have had Super Mario World at no.1

Also I would have added Mario Kart and PES 5 to the list too.

Advertisement