Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vinters Assocation moaning.

Options
  • 25-08-2009 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭

Almost 10,000 bar jobs will be lost by next year unless action is taken to save the traditional country pub, industry chiefs warned today.

The Vintners Federation of Ireland said 1,700 watering holes have shut their doors in the last five years with just less than 5,000 jobs axed in the last 12 months alone.

The body demanded the Government slash VAT and local authority charges to help boost the beleaguered sector.

It also claimed banks were not giving credit to small businesses and called for a special watchdog to monitor their lending habits.

Val Hanley, VFI President, said: “We’re under pressure.

“Jobs are being lost, pubs are being closed, the rural fabric of rural Ireland is closing down.

“They’ll be no social outlet if we don’t take something in hand.”

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/thousands-of-bar-workers-facing-unemployment-warn-vintners-423880.html

Ok, while I'd welcome a cut in VAT rates to strimulate the economy (wouldn't we all?), but why the hell can't publicans come up with some ideas or initiatives of their own to bring back customers?

When I was living in Ireland, I got bored of the routine pub culture and the similarity of a lot of the bars I went to. Every one of them seemed to think all they had to do was get a licence and a few barrels in and people would be coming to the bar in droves! Come on lads - businesses go under all the time, but it's the ones that innovate that survive.

As for the "no social outlet line" - this strikes me as arrogant: people who don't go to pubs still have prefectly acceptable social lives. And if the ones in more isolatred areas don't, maybe their areas need more variety...

Or am I being too harsh?

Gentlemen and gentle ladies, the floor is yours.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The Vintners are always moaning, the industry would be better off without them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Having spent a large part of my life in the countryside, it always strikes me how often rural pubs are family-run enterprises. Given the fact that this should lower labour costs, and given that so many rural pubs are pretty small in size and thus don't have huge energy costs associated with running them, why do I still pay almost the exact same for alcohol in rural Tipperary as I do on Baggott Street or in Ranelagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

If they lower the price of drink i may go back to going out at 8pm instead of the 11pm or so i would go out at now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

“They’ll be no social outlet if we don’t take something in hand.”

They're forgetting about the dole office.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

If publicans would just put some life back into their pubs they might get some customers back. I'm fond of a pint and always have been but find pubs these days to be more often than not soleless, overpriced holes with greedy landlords who look down on their customers more often than not.
    There is very little variation in them. Go to any town on a Sunday and see how many pubs are showing either the same GAA or Premiership match. None of them seem to be able to come up with anything different. I remember back in the day, pubs would put on a band from 5 til 7 on a Sunday or something like that. Used to draw a right crowd and good craic for the day. Why aren't they tryin something like this to get customers back?
    Actually I've come up with the solution:)

1. Bring back live music
    2. €3 a pint all day everyday
    3. Smille ffs:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/thousands-of-bar-workers-facing-unemployment-warn-vintners-423880.html

why the hell can't publicans come up with some ideas or initiatives of their own to bring back customers?

You try coming up with an idea that will bring customers into your bar.

Maybe try getting a good band in? Its usually too expensive
    Cheaper pints? If you make it alot cheatper than the pubs around you, your gonna get all the scum bags of the day in.
    Karakoe? Its crap.
    A pool table? might get an extra 2 people in a night that like pool. Its not gonna attract a big crowd every night.

The simple fact is that tax needs to be cut in the sector.
    I live next to the border, in the town where i live i will pay 28 euro for a bottle of vodka, if i drive up the road for 15 mins i can get a litre of the same vodka for 12 quid sterling. Why would i pay more than i have to? Even the pubs in Derry are charging like 2 quid for a pint and thats all the pubs, not just a few.
    Our government needs to waken up, cut taxes all over and people will spend and the economy will recover quicker, but then again we live in Ireland...........we have to do it the hard and stupid way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

On The Last Word, they were arguing that the Govt. shouldn't reduce the blood alcohol limit in case it affected their business! What planet are these guys on? They create these convoluted excuses as to why their business is failing and consistently ignore what thousands of people are constantly telling them.

Just lower your prices, turn down the obnoxious music and stop complaining whenever your business dips due to your own wilful ignorance of what people want.

Fracture wrote: »
    in the town where i live i will pay 28 euro for a bottle of vodka, if i drive up the road for 15 mins i can get a litre of the same vodka for 12 quid sterling.
    Even by Irish standards you're paying too much for that Vodka, what are you drinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If they lower the price of drink i may go back to going out at 8pm instead of the 11pm or so i would go out at now.

This. I'd spend more on Friday and Saturday night in the pub rather than drinking at home if the price of a pint wasn't so expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

I work part time in a local type pub so i'll try to stick up for the industry but yes the vinters do moan alrite!i work in a family run pub and the owner has to be a member if you to trade,this is not law but the vfi would make it hard for you to open,he has very little time for them he told me.Price we all know is main issue but people just aint going to pubs because they have more options than 10 years ago,more young people have their own places these days,sports,internet etc
    Pubs dont do live music as much because it costs alot and sometimes the return aint worth it,people say put video games,plasma's,pool in a pub but alot of people just want a drink not an arcade
    Young people my age want cheap drink to get drunk before going out,their not learning too drink socially in a pub just want a messy club.And when young people do go to a pub they dont know how to behave and that pisses off the older/regular crowd.So alot of pubs dont want young drinkers cause they can be messy and a a pain in the hole they come in langers and they have to deal with it then
    There is no doubt they have been rip off publicans but yet people will go to the trendy pubs,big clubs and get screwed yet they wont support their local while nothing fancy its always there,cheaper,and once your a regular its a home from homeMy brother is looking at taking over a pub but a young guy with ideas in this game gets shot down by the big publicans
    Sorry for the all over the place rant i will tidy it up later and add more points

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Fracture wrote: »
    You try coming up with an idea that will bring customers into your bar.

Maybe try getting a good band in? Its usually too expensive
    Cheaper pints? If you make it alot cheatper than the pubs around you, your gonna get all the scum bags of the day in.
    Karakoe? Its crap.
    A pool table? might get an extra 2 people in a night that like pool. Its not gonna attract a big crowd every night.

The simple fact is that tax needs to be cut in the sector.
    I live next to the border, in the town where i live i will pay 28 euro for a bottle of vodka, if i drive up the road for 15 mins i can get a litre of the same vodka for 12 quid sterling. Why would i pay more than i have to? Even the pubs in Derry are charging like 2 quid for a pint and thats all the pubs, not just a few.
    Our government needs to waken up, cut taxes all over and people will spend and the economy will recover quicker, but then again we live in Ireland...........we have to do it the hard and stupid way.

Coffee bars were a good idea, I thought, but that was vetoed. One pub I know in Mayo started up a darts league with all the other pubs within an x mile radius and that worked.

Beyond that, I'm not in the field. But I assume the ideas are out there.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

mickos wrote: »
    1. Bring back live music
    Please god no, a pub here does that and most live acts are just brutal and so loud and annoying they drive away allot of customers.

The vinters association are nothing better than a mafia cartel. **** them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Like most people nowadays I have a few drinks at home then head out around 11. It's funny, pubs have had it so good for so long and now they're whinging, and they want the government to lower taxes. When they could just lower the prices themselves. Even at €3 a bottle pubs/clubs still would make a killing.

Its highway robbery really, yeah you pay for the surroundings etc but most are realising now that heading down to the off licence and having a night in with mates in front of the xbox is more fun and cheaper, a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

Stop charging so much for soft drinks. Makes my blood boil paying a fortune for those tiny little bottles of coke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

They called for a price freeze a few months ago under the pretence of protecting the consumer when in reality they didnt want members engaging in price cutting during the recession.
    The guy on the last word said they werent responsible for two thirds of the price which government got which is clearly BS. If shops can sell bottles beer for a euro and make a profit then publicans are getting them for less than a euro and selling them for 4-6euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

I'd have some sympathy for the bar staff losing their jobs. That's never good.

I'm fed up with lobby groups bemoaning the fate of their special interests as if they have absolutely no control, say or influence in their own fate.

The smoking ban killed the pub trade. The recession killed the pub trade. The lack of public transport killed the pub trade. VAT killed the pub trade. The blood/alcohol limit killed the pub trade. Local authority charges killed the pub trade.

If you think about it long and hard enough, the East Link toll bridge probably killed the pub trade too.

Wah wah wah ... it's always someone else's fault :mad:

I don't understand the enormous sense of privelige that comes out at times like this, again from these lobby groups.

Surely a pub is a business, not a license to print money or a guarantee of a secure income. It's a commercial enterprise, not some form of glorified social-outreach community centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I find it hilarious that Vintners have this superiority complex about them where they see themselves as almost cornerstones of society. This is namely due to the 'cosy' relationship they bathe in with FF and other politicians. They think the world revolves around them because they have special seats reserved for politicians. They forget that it is the politicians running the country on behalf of the people, not the politicians 'helping out' their 'friends' the vintners whenever they get in a rut.
    **** them I say, they are making near 500% profit per pint which is utter madness. Lower those prices or face ruin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Its the age old Irish 'entitlement' mentality of making a guaranteed comfortable living by providing a 'service' ala the taxi drivers

On the last word the Vitners guy also said they want to get rid of cheap drink in shops for the public good! Ya right, the public good or the publicans good? If they forced prices in shops up with taxes etc or restrictions, people will be heading to Newry every month to stock up on gargle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

On the last word the Vitners guy also said they want to get rid of cheap drink in shops for the public good! Ya right, the public good or the publicans good? If they forced prices in shops up with taxes etc or restrictions, people will be heading to Newry every month to stock up on gargle.

wait, they want offies gone altogether? what possible argument could they make for that other than "We want the competition gone, so we can have more money"?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

I'd say cheap drink in shops could be better for society in some ways ... ideally you'd have people around for a few social beers and pleasant company, with less opportunity for loutish behaviour.

trout wrote: »
    I'd say cheap drink in shops could be better for society in some ways ... ideally you'd have people around for a few social beers and pleasant company, with less opportunity for loutish behaviour.
    Absolutely, less of everyone spilling out onto streets at 2.30am, music people actually want to hear, finger food, mates you can sit and chat with and a couch to sleep on if you really get smashed. I go to pubs less and less these days and really not missing it.

hot2def wrote: »
    wait, they want offies gone altogether? what possible argument could they make for that other than "We want the competition gone, so we can have more money"?
    They claim drinking at home is unsafe as you can pour spirits without measuring it etc and in a pub you are supervised by the big hearted publican/barmen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

They claim drinking at home is unsafe as you can pour spirits without measuring it etc and in a pub you are supervised by the big hearted publican/barmen.

oh yes? is that not claiming responsiblilty for customers safety and health?

Screw them. its nearly 6 quid for a pint of cider, 8 will get me 6 cans of frosty jack and I can chill out with my friends at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

ElBarco wrote: »
    Stop charging so much for soft drinks. Makes my blood boil paying a fortune for those tiny little bottles of coke.

They should give out soft drinks for free for designated drivers...especially in country pubs where a lot of people need transportation to get to and from. What they lose on a few cokes they'd make back on a round of pints. They only have their own greed to blame.

Jen ;->

That's sort of true unless you're one of us unfortunate exponential drinkers: the more you drink the smaller the measures appear, so you compensate by ordering larger drinks at a faster and faster rate. Sadly for me, the barmen don't have issue with this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Salvelinus

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Coffee bars were a good idea, I thought, but that was vetoed. One pub I know in Mayo started up a darts league with all the other pubs within an x mile radius and that worked.

Beyond that, I'm not in the field. But I assume the ideas are out there.

What's to stop continental type wine/coffee bars opening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Salvelinus wrote: »
    What's to stop continental type wine/coffee bars opening?

You need a licence.

It was about to introduced but got shot down by Fianna Fail, the republican party.

It was a great idea, a shame it never happened.

The publicans would want to start thinking of some better ways to run their business. Sure they face challenges, who doesn't!
    Sitting back and moaning won't solve it.
    Go organize a VFI conference and quit your moaning in the press

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

Choose Irish pubs and clubs.
    Choose €4.50 for a pint of lager.
    Choose €7.20 for a spirit and mixer.
    Choose being shoved into a corner like cattle.
    Choose sticky tables and floors that are never cleaned.
    Choose chairs that break your back.
    Choose a grumpy barman who throws your pint at you.
    Choose lounge staff who expect a tip on every round.
    Choose paying a "Cloakroom charge".
    Choose pissy toilets with urine all over the floor and doors that don't lock.
    Choose pub grub charged at restaurant prices.
    Choose patio heaters that never work.
    Choose watered-down pints.
    Choose €2 for 20ml of mi wadi.
    Choose €2.80 for 250ml of coca-cola.
    Choose being told to "Get out" after providing the business with a substantial portion of your income.
    Choose not returning.

Advertisement