Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liver transplant teen leaves hospital bed for boozer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Surely she would remember what a guy in slippers with a needle hanging out of his arm ordered, especially seeing as she ratted him out straight after.

He could have asked for a pint and when the barman refused he could have said "maybe some vodka".

Also I don't believe this guy didn't know the extent of what was happening. Liver failure = going to die and as well as that his father was all over the place telling everyone else he was going go die in two weeks. Did the father remove the tv, radio and internet from his son?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

He has a serious addiction that will kill him sooner rather than later. What a ****ing stupid post. Imagine how his family must feel before some thick comment you think is funny.

Ah come on it's not like the guy is dying of some non-self inflicted disease. He was a healthy human being who consumed copious amounts of alcohol to the point where he destroyed his liver. I feel sorry for his family in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Jesus boards just swings from right to left. :confused:

I feel sorry for his family too.

But I'm not going to make or comment on a decision of whether he gets the chance to live or die based on what most people in this day and age consider to be an illness.

Jesus he is only a kid, even his dad, who I can assume knows him well, states he may have mental problems.

If I was a teen, thought I'd done this to myself as invincible as teens think they are, (or got an incling of it), thought possibly that doctors were going to deny me a liver, and well I might die...
    And theres me, all over the news, being pasted like a tosser.
    I'd walk out of a hospital and get a f**king drink possibly???
    Who knows, maybe he's suicidal???

Pity he didn't come accross an addiction that would do less physical harm in the long term or cost the NHS to have to revisit administrative decisions.

Maybe socially, heroin isnt the thing in Newtownards, but alcohol is more acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

If I was the barman, i don't think i'd be listening too closely to the drinks order if a lad comes in wearing a patient gown, a needle in his arm.

Back in the early 80s, I lived in Rialto which is near the back entrance to St James' Hospital. There used often be fellas sitting at the bar of the local pub in pyjamas & dressing gowns from the hospital, having a pint.

Dunno if it still happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Ya see, the publicans down south are right. This is what you get when drink prices are cheap!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He asked for a pint or possibly a vodka
    Surely she would remember what a guy in slippers with a needle hanging out of his arm ordered, especially seeing as she ratted him out straight after.

Maybe they meant to say he possibly asked for a pint of vodka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

If I knew I might only have 2 weeks left to live, I'd probably want a few pints too. (Serious post)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,724 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I remember seeing the lad's father pleading for donors on the UTV and RTE Evening news last week.

He said that he didn't break the news to his son that he is terminally ill.

I personally think now would be a really good time to tell him.
    You must think this kid is really thick - I am sure he figured it out in the intervening time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

My guess is that he must of had some underlying liver problems in the past unknown to him before he got addicted to alcohol. It's a sad story but think of the donor, think of their family how do you think they'd feel if he got this liver and failed to get over the addiction and wasted that liver too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

30 cans beer over a weekend caused that? porky pies i think.

He is just trying to emulate his fellow Northern Irish hero Georgie Best.

One night i could understand, but over a entire weekend nah, unless hes doing it everyday of the week.
    Think he was on drugs too

• Advertisement

We Dont Know

I want everyone to memorize those words.

Maybe he drank himself into liver failure. Maybe he mixed a Paracetemol High with Vodka and Red Bull. Maybe he was born with a pre-existing liver problem - I've had friends who have. We just Dont Know. Stop Speculating. Either way, the kid is not long for this world by the look of things.

Overheal wrote: »
    We Dont Know

I want everyone to memorize those words.

Maybe he drank himself into liver failure. Maybe he mixed a Paracetemol High with Vodka and Red Bull. Maybe he was born with a pre-existing liver problem - I've had friends who have. We just Dont Know. Stop Speculating. Either way, the kid is not long for this world by the look of things.

Stop speculating because you said so? Or because of his Bebo page?

And btw when you say , "We" please speak for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

nuxxx wrote: »

It seems strange that he started when he was 16 and 3 years later he's dying. FFS George Best went the best part of 30 years before he needed a transplant.

Im not disagreeing, i just dont feel any sadness or remorse after reading his bebo page, and tbh i blame the parents.

Bebo?

edit: No, I havent read his bebo page.

Im just sick of the conclusion jumping that goes on here all the time. Drives me up the walls. My favorite case and point remains to be this thread. Mostly because it turned out - once all the evidence was published -that everyone who was rushing to torches and pitchforks was wrong Wrong WRONG!! wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Im not disagreeing, i just dont feel any sadness or remorse after reading his bebo page, and tbh i blame the parents.

link?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

I remember seeing the lad's father pleading for donors on the UTV and RTE Evening news last week.

He said that he didn't break the news to his son that he is terminally ill.

I personally think now would be a really good time to tell him.
    He must know, its on the tv and the papers but the lad himself is in the dark about it?:rolleyes:

But he obviously wont be given one now that he was down the pub.

He must have a serious problem

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

He nearly died after having 30 cans in a weekend?

How come it didnt happen to anyone at oxegen?:confused:
    Some people nearly died trying to carry their cans onto the bus let alone drink them all:rolleyes:

He must have had a more persistent drinking problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Well if they're not going to give him the liver, will they at least give him the pint??

This kid just can't catch a break!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Poor guy, there has to be more to this story than we know imo, but either way it's pretty tragic stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

stepbar wrote: »
    It seems strange that he started when he was 16 and 3 years later he's dying. FFS George Best went the best part of 30 years before he needed a transplant.
    orestes wrote: »
    Poor guy, there has to be more to this story than we know imo, but either way it's pretty tragic stuff

Someone I know who doesn't drink at all had a problem with his liver recently. It was fine after a while but he was a bit worried.

Some people will just be unlucky enough to have a bad heart or liver or whatever.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

this was the one originally linked in the first thread no idea how real/fake it is, http://upload.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=1849626349 but certainly wasn't made just to piggyback on this as the comments are years old - and there's comment from his apparently current profile which is private though.

Im surprised though. You'd think with all the town hall meetings going on tonight, that more people Stateside would be throwing this story around the ropes.

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Before going hard on the guy, did anybody read the article. Here's an extract:
    'The incident last week came before Mr Anderson finally told his son that he could be dead in a couple of weeks unless he got a liver transplant. He has since sworn never to drink again.'
    This fits in with what his father, Brian Anderson, said on Newstalk during the week, namely that his son did not know he is at death's door but that he, the father, would have to tell him this week. DublinWriter clearly heard the same thing last week on UTV and RTÉ that I heard his father say on Newstalk last Thursday.

Ergo, condemning the guy for his behaviour without mentioning that he was not aware of the seriousness of his illness is a distortion of things.

Does anyone seriously believe that the kid didn't know what was happening? It was all over the media and unless his father locked him away there is no way he could not have seen or heard some of the coverage.

There is no way the doctors would hide his kidney failure from him, by leaving the hospital to have a drink he forfeit all right to a new kidney. He should be left alone to die with some dignity.
    He has a serious addiction that will kill him sooner rather than later. What a ****ing stupid post. Imagine how his family must feel before some thick comment you think is funny.

If his family were so worried they would have intervened sooner. There is no way his drinking went unnoticed, routinely drinking 30 cans of beer a night or over a weekend is not something which you can hide.

Even if there is some underlying reason for the liver failure anyone who drinks that much does not deserve a transplant. I know that sounds horrible but consider all those who desperately need one and have never touched a drop of alcohol in their lives or those who drank in moderation, surely they come first. Not some 19 year old kid who boasted about how much he could drink on his bebo page.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

This kid should not be given a liver, end of story. He knew why he was in hospital and yet he still went out looking for booze, its stupid. People can say "oh but he's sick and alcoholism is a disease", yeah it's a disease he will die from. The liver should be given to someone who deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

This kid should not be given a liver, end of story. He knew why he was in hospital and yet he still went out looking for booze, its stupid. People can say "oh but he's sick and alcoholism is a disease", yeah it's a disease he will die from. The liver should be given to someone who deserves it.

You're right.

Down with second chances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Second chances should only be given to people who deserve them. He left his hospital bed looking for drink, how can you justify giving someone like that another chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Start with a brain transplant, he may then qualify for a liver ... maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Second chances should only be given to people who deserve them. He left his hospital bed looking for drink, how can you justify giving someone like that another chance?

He obviously an alcoholic.

I'm personally dealing with someone at the minute who is in the same boat and that's what they do. I can see how stupid and infuriating it is though.

Advertisement