Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liver transplant teen leaves hospital bed for boozer

Options
  • 25-08-2009 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Unbelievable

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8220301.stm
    A critically ill teenager being treated for liver failure after binge drinking left his hospital bed and went to the pub for a drink, it has been confirmed.

The father of Gareth Anderson, 19, is fighting to overturn NHS rules which mean his son has to be alcohol free for six months before a liver transplant.

But at the same time, a publican confirmed Garath went to her pub last Wednesday looking for a pint.

He was still in his slippers and with the needle from a drip in his hand.

Staff in the Old Moat Inn opposite the Ulster Hospital in Dundonald refused his order, alerted hospital staff who took him back.

The teenager from Newtownards, County Down, was transferred to Kings College Hospital in London on Friday and doctors have told his father, Brian, he may have as little as two weeks to live.

Mr Anderson Snr told the Press Association: "I don't know what he was thinking about, I don't think he knows.

"He said 'I don't know why I did it, I just walked out and walked across to the pub'."

Mr Anderson Snr said his son first told him he had a coke, but when pressed admitted trying to order alcohol first.

"I said 'What were you thinking about son' and he said ' I don't know, I just don't know'."

Mr Anderson said he was trying to get his son psychiatric help.

"I don't know what is going on in his head, he needs mental help as well."

Old Moat Inn manager Lorraine McMillan said : "He walked into the bar on Wednesday and the staff immediately recognised he was from the hospital - he had a needle in his hand, was wearing slippers and was still wearing his hospital name band.

"He was very young and didn't look very well. He asked for a pint or possibly a vodka. He was refused a drink and he said that was OK he would take a coke.

"I contacted the hospital and one of the staff walked him over and he was met at the door."

Legal action

The incident last week came before Mr Anderson finally told his son that he could be dead in a couple of weeks unless he got a liver transplant. He has since sworn never to drink again.

Gareth suffered acute liver failure earlier this month after drinking 30 cans of lager on a weekend binge-drinking session and had to be rushed to hospital.

Although it is common medical practice in the UK to insist that liver patients whose conditions are linked to alcohol abuse go without a drink for six months before going on the transplant waiting list, it is only a guideline and not a formal rule.

Mr Anderson insists the policy should apply to older patients with chronic alcoholism, not a teenager who has never before needed medical treatment for a drink related illness.

He plans legal action to get the rule overturned. He was expected to launch a judicial review in the High Court in Belfast this week, but may now have to take action in London following his son's transfer to King's College Hospital

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

wait... isn't this the lad some people in AH were saying the 6-month rule should be override for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Sad, but it would obviously be a waste of a liver.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Alcoholism is a terrible thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,726 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He might as well have drank antifreeze; he just drowned whatever fleeting hope he had.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I remember seeing the lad's father pleading for donors on the UTV and RTE Evening news last week.

He said that he didn't break the news to his son that he is terminally ill.

I personally think now would be a really good time to tell him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I remember seeing the lad's father pleading for donors on the UTV and RTE Evening news last week.

He said that he didn't break the news to his son that he is terminally ill.

I personally think now would be a really good time to tell him.

I wondered about this, surely the fact that he's an adult means that doctors wouldn't keep him in the dark about his condition at the behest of his parents

questionable imo, still a tragic story though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I wondered about this, surely the fact that he's an adult means that doctors wouldn't keep him in the dark about his condition at the behest of his parents

questionable imo, still a tragic story though

I'm not sure what the exact protocol is, but when my siblings and I were told our mother had terminal cancer, we asked that she not be told about her condition for a few days - a request all the nursing and medical staff on her ward carried out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Legend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

no offence to anyone related to this guy ...but if he's willing to search for a drink - from his hospital bed..... I think he doesnt deserve a transplant..... I dont think he'll change his ways - given that he knew he wasnt allowed to drink while on the transplant list.

* my guess is that the kid knows he's croaked and wants to go out partying - Sad !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

He asked for a pint or possibly a vodka

Surely she would remember what a guy in slippers with a needle hanging out of his arm ordered, especially seeing as she ratted him out straight after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

Just wondering how he was able to leave the hospital in the first instance...I mean the nurses,security etc ..especially for someone with bandages and drips..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

30 cans beer over a weekend caused that? porky pies i think.

He is just trying to emulate his fellow Northern Irish hero Georgie Best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Surely she would remember what a guy in slippers with a needle hanging out of his arm ordered, especially seeing as she ratted him out straight after.

If I was the barman, i don't think i'd be listening too closely to the drinks order if a lad comes in wearing a patient gown, a needle in his arm and looks like he is out of a tango ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Didn't it happen last week before he was diagnosed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

30 cans beer over a weekend caused that? porky pies i think.

Aye...looks like it's binging over several months or more likely years that has caused this IM(non medical)O...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

Jayziz. Makes a mockery of his dad saying he's not an alcoholic.

His family must be in bits, clearly the young lad isn't right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Before going hard on the guy, did anybody read the article. Here's an extract:
    'The incident last week came before Mr Anderson finally told his son that he could be dead in a couple of weeks unless he got a liver transplant. He has since sworn never to drink again.'
    This fits in with what his father, Brian Anderson, said on Newstalk during the week, namely that his son did not know he is at death's door but that he, the father, would have to tell him this week. DublinWriter clearly heard the same thing last week on UTV and RTÉ that I heard his father say on Newstalk last Thursday.

Ergo, condemning the guy for his behaviour without mentioning that he was not aware of the seriousness of his illness is a distortion of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Rebelheart wrote: »
    'The incident last week came before Mr Anderson finally told his son that he could be dead in a couple of weeks unless he got a liver transplant. He has since sworn never to drink again.'
    This fits in with what his father, Brian Anderson, said on Newstalk during the week, namely that his son did not know he is at death's door but that he, the father, would have to tell him this week. DublinWriter clearly heard the same thing last week on UTV and RTÉ that I heard his father say on Newstalk last Thursday.

Ergo, condemning the guy for his behaviour without mentioning that he was not aware of the seriousness of his illness is a distortion of things.
    Still, even if he didnt know, going out of hopital in your gown with drip in arm to a pub when you know youre sick is sure sign serious addiction. I personally think he should be given a chance and addiction counselling etc but not get a liver over somone with non drink related liver failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If it were George Best or some other recalcitrant wife-beating alcoholic 'celebrity' we'd be falling over ourselves to offer pious homilies, fond memories and a new liver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i dont accept this, he was in hospital for liver failure caused by drinking, im sure the doctors told him as much, now if i was in that position i wouldnt be heading across to the local looking for a pint now would i.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

It doesn't matter if he didn't know the seriousness of his condition. He has liver failure. Unless he is absolutely stupid, he should know that liver failure can be a result of excessive alcohol consumption, of which he is a culprit. Also, no matter what was wrong with him, he was in hospital so I'd say he had a fair idea he's sick and shouldn't be out downing vodka!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Gareth you have raised the bar for all of us and i thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I don't whether to laugh or cry at the first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

My sentiments exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

He has indeed, 'tis a pity that same bar is going to kill him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Livers for some, self-righteousness expressed by others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

That's the dumbest comment I've seen in a long time. That guy is not long for this world, alcohol is just not funny when it's killing an alcoholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

He has a serious addiction that will kill him sooner rather than later. What a ****ing stupid post. Imagine how his family must feel before some thick comment you think is funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I stand by my earlier condemnation

Advertisement