Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import fees

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

apintpls wrote: »
    Just two points. Why Chinese suppliers want to use C&F/CIF terms? Because by this way they feel they have better control of the goods. It is a method to reduce risk of being cheated by the buyer at the other side of the planet.

Secondly, they get around $50 to 100 per container at the end of the year from the forwarder as commission. This money is not paid to the company or factory, but to the person who is dealing with the buyer actually.

The Control of the costs, I would think is the big issue here. The Irish importer is the one being cheated/fleeced by his China supplier. If the China supplier is prepared to show all the costs of shipping, including the genuine freight and commissions when declaring CIF value on the invoice, the costs become more transparent. By offering a low freight rate to the irish customer, this practice will attract the initial business, but will leave the customer very unhappy when the goods arrive into Dublin plus the additional CISF costs. If the customer is advised about what is happening, it should encourage him to switch to an "FOB" ordering process, and thus prevent any surprises on arrival into Dublin Port.
    The decision and power is in the hands of the irish buyer, and he should be educated to use it. After all, it is the irish buyer/purchaser/my customer I am soley interested in, and they can save approximately £250 to €600 per
    LCL shipment depending on weight. That's a lot more than $50 to $100 per container! Is the person the buyer is dealing with genuinely informing the irish buyer of the additional charges for commission? Is the commission being charged/declared on any documentation, and specifically the invoice? Going on all the evidence and discussions I have had with the irish buyers, and getting sight of the invoices, it is fairly obvious that these charges are hidden, and are not declared on the invoices and are not negotiated with the buyer at the time of purchase. The imposition of the CISF is a serious shipping cost and should be outlawed by all concerned. Also, irish importers are losing out big-time by not being given the true facts by their irish freight agents. As I have been emphasizing, the practice of the CISF charges is a serious cost to irish industry, amounting to €millions per annum. My aim is to highlight the injustice of these charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Helen321

I have imported a full kitchen from China that is approx 8CBM and paid just over 1800 euros including shipping(CFR).The chinese built it/transported it to the port/loaded it and sent it across the world to this little rip off island for less that what they are charging me here for simply processing what the chinese have toiled to build and now I have been presented with a bill for over 1800 euros simply to get my goods when they arrive!

Is the shipping industry etc ran by some kind of mafia or exthortion racket here:eek:?

Mod Note:

Banned for a week for uncivil behaviour - please do not come on here posting about this topic in another thread or it will also be closed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Mod Note:

Helen321 - you came on here with an outburst about the costs - you had done no research and I am not sure what you came on here looking to get from it. People offered you reasons and you tore into them. Also as you pointed out the thread was dormant, there is little going to be gained from posting here so the thread will be locked.

As a note to all other posters - personal abuse simply wont be tolerated. This has been said before. Also this is not a place for people just to take it on themselves to lash out at posters or go about some back seat modding. If you dont have anything of benefit to add to a thread then there is little reason to post. Constructive criticism is still constructive, smart ass comments offer nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement