Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many QUANGO's is there??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Acacia wrote: »
    Some of these are a joke. The Mushroom Taskforce? WTF?

There could be free thrid-level education for nearly everyone in the country I'd say, if they got rid of a few of these pointless yokes.

I doubt it. It depends on how much each body costs. I would be surprised if abolishing a 'few' of them came close to the cost of free third level education. What is more interesting the number or title of each bodies is the cost and the effectiveness.

Not to mention that fact that Third Level Institutes themselves are Quangos.

I know nothing about the work of the Mushroom Taskforce. They have a funny name, but perhaps they have done some invaluable research on the mushroom industry in Ireland at little cost to the exchequer? Unless I know that I am not going to say it should be abolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Biggins wrote: »
    Well lets start with the Consumers Association of Ireland. The CAI is a pressure group that occasionally provides a helpline for consumers, however they have no statutory powers and therefore can’t actually do anything for you.

But wait... why not go instead to National Consumer Agency who are responsible for the implementation of over 60 different pieces of legislation aimed at protecting consumers. These regulations cover advertising, unfair commercial practices, consumer information rules, food and other product labelling requirements, product safety laws and rules regarding the pricing of items and the display of prices. The NCA are also responsible for overseeing the key consumer legislation which governs a lot of our day to day purchasing – the Sale of Good and Supply of Services Act – the law which gives us the “repair, replace or refund” rules of thumb.

2 doing the same job - one with teeth (be they small ones) and the other with none!

...And what about the National Property Services Regulatory Authority who is doing the same damn job as Office of Director of Corporate Enforcement!

...or may be the Financial Services Ombudsman who is doing the same jobs as the the Pensions Ombudsman...

Want me to list more or do you just wish to keep picking away...?

Sorry to nitpick and not to detract from the other organisations you mention, but the CAI is not a quango of any kind. They're an independent, non-government body. They may receive some form of grant from the State (I'm assuming, I don't actually know), but I don't think we could class their employees as public servants in the same way as emplolyees of quangos are classed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

NuMarvel wrote: »
    Sorry to nitpick and not to detract from the other organisations you mention, but the CAI is not a quango of any kind. They're an independent, non-government body. They may receive some form of grant from the State (I'm assuming, I don't actually know), but I don't think we could class their employees as public servants in the same way as emplolyees of quangos are classed.

You make good point and if I'm wrong, I without question, stand corrected.
    Although they are a non-government body, I do believe they receive state funding.

With that the case, they would indeed be doing some of the same jobs as the other agency.
    However again, on that one alone I'll admit you could indeed be right and I withdraw its name from possibles till further clarification. :)
    I hope that's ok .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    I doubt it. It depends on how much each body costs. I would be surprised if abolishing a 'few' of them came close to the cost of free third level education. What is more interesting the number or title of each bodies is the cost and the effectiveness.

Not to mention that fact that Third Level Institutes themselves are Quangos.

I know nothing about the work of the Mushroom Taskforce. They have a funny name, but perhaps they have done some invaluable research on the mushroom industry in Ireland at little cost to the exchequer? Unless I know that I am not going to say it should be abolished.

Well, yes, it would probably be a bit ambitious to say it would cover the cost of everyone's education. But it does irk me a bit that fees will be re-introduced (among other cut-backs) while the tax payer funds these quangos.

And third-level institutes may be quangos, but at least we can see their value, unlike the Mushroom Taskforce! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

its insane there is a quango for every day of the year, and its all another way of bleeding the taxpayer dry,

like every complaint, or job a minister gets they go and set up a new quango , what a joke,

corrupt bunch of ****s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

You make good point and if I'm wrong, I without question, stand corrected.
    Although they are a non-government body, I do believe they receive state funding.

With that the case, they would indeed be doing some of the same jobs as the other agency.
    However again, on that one alone I'll admit you could indeed be right and I withdraw its name from possibles till further clarification. :)
    I hope that's ok .

It'll do I guess. I'll have to set up a committe to review your application for withdrawal and I'll revert in due course with the Authority's decision. I presume you've remembered to submit the form in triplicate with the current spelling of the decision maker's surname. If not, it will be rejected out of hand! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Before you all go mad and call for the complete abolition of these QUANGO's - ask yourselves this;

After they have gone and the QUANGO is no more, sure we'll have more money but how will we put holes in solid surfaces, how will we dig up the roads?

Firebrands the lot of yis.

NuMarvel wrote: »
    It'll do I guess. I'll have to set up a committe to review your application for withdrawal and I'll revert in due course with the Authority's decision. I presume you've remembered to submit the form in triplicate with the current spelling of the decision maker's surname. If not, it will be rejected out of hand! :D

Damn those triplicate forms! :mad:

Long Onion wrote: »
    Before you all go mad and call for the complete abolition of these QUANGO's - ask yourselves this;

After they have gone and the QUANGO is no more, sure we'll have more money but how will we put holes in solid surfaces, how will we dig up the roads?

We can rely on the trolls.
    They like digging graves for themselves! :rolleyes:
    Kill two birds with one stone (or shovel!). :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

We can rely on the trolls.
    They like digging graves for themselves! :rolleyes:
    Kill two birds with one stone (or shovel!). :D

Should I be hearing a 'Whooooosh' about now:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Fair enough Euro_kraut. ...and to be fair to you, I can accept where you come from.
    End of the day, I suspect we are both on the same side and this (me) pain in ass is playing devils advocate. ;)

Advertisement