Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are radio stations gone to the dogs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

I was going to start a thread on this too, I cant listen to the radio any more because the presenters are so frustratingly annoying!!! :mad:
    Especially Corks Ref Fm, none of them seem to be able to pronounce words properly, for example instead of saying coming, going, walking, driving, doing, making etc..... they all seem to pronounce it as ''comeen,goweeen, walkeen, driveeen, doweeeen, makeeeeeen''.
    It alsolutely wrecks my head and Im seriously considering writing in to request that all Corks Red Fm staff members take elocution lessons before ''goweeeeen'' on air again. :mad:

Has anyone else noticed this? And before people start taking the piss out of the Cork accent, I havent heard any other Cork people speaking like this and all the other Cork radio stations seem able to pronounce their words properly so it seems to be a trend with only Corks Red Fm. :rolleyes:
    And its not just the normal show presenters, the news people are after catching onto it now too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can't listen to radio stations anymore because they keep playing awful ****e like rihanna and beyonce. Chris Brown didn't hit rihanna hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

There's not only the idiot talk, but the music has been made 'louder' because a strange thing about the human brain is that it can think 'loud' equals better.

The phenomenon is best explained here:

Loudness War - War on Sound

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

I'm convinced that it was 'born' on FM Radio, basically you compress and saturate the signal of any given song to give it more oomph and adrenalise the experience for the listener.

Many stations will also EQ any material they play to even it out with the rest. Sadly, this has spread to CD's over the last decade or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Whatever about the 'local' stations being shite (Midlands Radio 3 is probably the worst), but these so-called 'national' broadcasters are God awful. I remember going to school, 4-5 years ago on the bus, and there seemed to be much more music etc... on the radio, it was pretty decent. Now, listening to the radio, it's like as if DJ's have given up on playing decent music with people using their ipods for that and are going for a more talk radio in order to add something different to listeners etc...
    Chart music as well, Jesus it's awful so it is, imagine on the way to work the other day the best music (when it was finally played) on the radio was David Bowie, with "Ziggy Stardust" from 1972 (excellent song, but it shows how bad music standards are nowadays). I hope to God, somebody comes up with a radio station 'My Ipod Playlist FM' - entirely dedicated to music, no competitions or bullshit chit chat, just music of different varieties. Now, that would be worth a listen!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭ben bedlam

I would rather tear out my eyes with razorblades and drive red-hot pokers through my ears that have to ever listen to the aural ass-gravy spouted by RTE's Colm and Fat-Fat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

ben bedlam wrote: »
    RTE's Colm and Fat-Fat.

Do you mean this Colm?

And do you mean this Fat-Fat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭googlefan

I used to listen to Ray D'Arcy every morning, but I had to change to Tom Dunne on Newstalk. D'Arcy has gone to hell. He has all the women doing all the work for him, even choosing the songs. In between he is becoming such a moaner as well. I've got totally sick of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

Ray Darcys show just seems to have gone stale. He even seems board with the format sometimes himself ie Fix it Friday, Arthurs mailbag etc. These items should all have a shelf life and then be retired. Darcys show initially set out to entertain but in recent times he has become prone to political rants and getting on his moral high horse. People tune in for light hearted banter and not his pontificating. On a good day the show still has it and maybe in just need of a revamp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

googlefan wrote: »
    I used to listen to Ray D'Arcy every morning, but I had to change to Tom Dunne on Newstalk. D'Arcy has gone to hell. He has all the women doing all the work for him, even choosing the songs. In between he is becoming such a moaner as well. I've got totally sick of him.
    You listen to Tom Dunne :eek: You poor person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

With very few exceptions I gave up listening to Irish radio as a source of music years and years ago.
    The quality of the music, the "newness" of that music, the non-existent diversity, especially on daytime, the overplaying of stuff from playlists and of course the multitude of hacks they let on the air to fill in between tracks, the incessant filler talk delivered in ever more annoying accents in a usually patronising manner, supremely weak attempts at being funny...and all this regularly interspersed with promotional items and some of the most annoying radio advertising on Earth.

I do listen to some of the talk shows on both national and local radio...we do news, chat and sports very well but we arguably do too much of them and they rae heavily relied upon...on some stations this has been at the expense of music.

I don't know what I'd do if BBC ever drop their FM transmitters in favour of DAB...whenever I travel further south than Drogheda, all that stands between myself and sanity is an mp3 player...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Tom Dunne is actually really good on the radio - it surprised me too. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

El Siglo wrote: »
    No, I was flicking between FM104, Today FM, 98FM, 2fm, i105, Beat etc... amd they were all awful, stupid presenters talking absolute shite!

I usually flicker over to Phantom FM and i did not end up with the same sentiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

i102-104 is where its at!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Playlists are to blame for a lot of the music

But I hate when a compilation record of say old '80's music is released and you hear the same songs from it on several stations for the next 6 weeks , all anounced as though they were old favorites even though the DJ in question hadn't played them any time in years before

pet hate
    DJ's on ego trips :mad:
    DJ's showing how truly stupid they are while rabbiting on about something they are totally clueless about

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭- bo -

Never listen to radio.. I work part-time (2-3 days a week during summer) and have to work beside the radio 8 hours a day, with no control over it.. The Script, Snow Patrol, some b0llo0cks talk, some more Script, Lady Gaga, The Killers, bit more b0ll0cks talk, bit more Script, Kings Of Leon, The Script looped over and over and over - it drives me fu€king insane...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I listen to Newstalk breakfast show in the morning to get me out of bed, which has gone down hill since Ivan Yates starting doing it.

But I have to turn it off once tom fecking dunne comes on or my brain would start to seep out of head....

Now Moncrieff on the other hand it great and always worth tuning into {expect for the kids section and parenting advise on a Wednesdays}.
    googlefan wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

No, I was flicking between FM104, Today FM, 98FM, 2fm, i105, Beat etc... amd they were all awful, stupid presenters talking absolute shite!

There's your answer pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Breakfast radio has definately gone to **** over the last year or so. The only show I like listening to is Sean Moncrieffe's on Newstalk.

The Adrian Kennedy show is like The Sun of the radio world. Rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    I listen to Newstalk breakfast show in the morning to get me out of bed, which has gone down hill since Ivan Yates starting doing it.

But I have to turn it off once tom fecking dunne comes on or my brain would start to seep out of head....

Now Moncrieff on the other hand it great and always worth tuning into {expect for the kids section and parenting advise on a Wednesdays}.

Yeah, Moncrieff is very good, like the movies and booze section on a friday, starts the weekend for me when im drivin home from work.

Dont even get me started on Colm and Dim Dim on 2fm though. I turn the radio off at work for the duration of their show it is so bad. I find it hard to believe that anyone could find them funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

- bo - wrote: »
    Never listen to radio.. I work part-time (2-3 days a week during summer) and have to work beside the radio 8 hours a day, with no control over it.. The Script, Snow Patrol, some b0llo0cks talk, some more Script, Lady Gaga, The Killers, bit more b0ll0cks talk, bit more Script, Kings Of Leon, The Script looped over and over and over - it drives me fu€king insane...

Some random DJ: That's an excellent playlist, thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Barry_Scott

George the Gnome should be given a full time radio show, what a legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 JennyMaguire

Chris Eubank is a big fan of the so-called "****e radio shows" in Ireland...

iRadio (both 102104 and 105107) are great for light entertainment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Chris Eubank is a big fan of the so-called "****e radio shows" in Ireland...

...and people say boxing doesn't damage the brain, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Used to have to listen to Ruth Scott at work.

Ruth. F*cking. Scott.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I was in the gym the other day and they had the radio on..there was this asshole of a woman with a poxy,put-on D4 accent spouting the most inane,pseudo transatlantic tripe i've ever heard..
    "Oh my God..i'm just loving the randomness of these texts..so random".
    I felt like killing somebody for an hour afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

My radio is always tuned to LyricFM.

JK Ensemble, Reels to Ragas, Jazz Alley, Magic Carpet, Nova, The Blue of the Night, In Tempo, Lyric Lunchtime. A great quality of programming.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Ray Foley on Today FM isnt bad (he's away for 2 weeks so dont listen in just yet)

his podcast is quiet good aswell, always has me laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭Ardent

Matt Cooper's The Last Word on Today FM is the only thing I listen to on the radio. Everythig else is sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Ziggurat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Bluesmirnoff

Whatever about the 'local' stations being shite (Midlands Radio 3 is probably the worst), but these so-called 'national' broadcasters are God awful. I remember going to school, 4-5 years ago on the bus, and there seemed to be much more music etc... on the radio, it was pretty decent. Now, listening to the radio, it's like as if DJ's have given up on playing decent music with people using their ipods for that and are going for a more talk radio in order to add something different to listeners etc...
    Chart music as well, Jesus it's awful so it is, imagine on the way to work the other day the best music (when it was finally played) on the radio was David Bowie, with "Ziggy Stardust" from 1972 (excellent song, but it shows how bad music standards are nowadays). I hope to God, somebody comes up with a radio station 'My Ipod Playlist FM' - entirely dedicated to music, no competitions or bullshit chit chat, just music of different varieties. Now, that would be worth a listen!:D

The balance of music and talk owes more to regulation than to individual choice at stations. There's a 20% current affairs requirement (more for some licences) and music stations tend to fill it with any sort of waffle that can loosely be termed as current affairs. Likewise with genres of music, this is all laid down when the contract is signed with the BCI.

As for Midlands Radio 3 being the worst local station, Shannonside easily claims that 'prize' yet their listenership is pretty good. KFM and East Coast usually down the bottom of the list. Midlands has improved a lot over the last few years. Live 95 and Tipp FM have amazing listenership.

Advertisement