Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are radio stations gone to the dogs?

Options
  • 25-08-2009 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

I was on the way to work there yesterday morning and decided to stick on the radio, and mother of jaysus I can't believe these people are paid to talk shite. I just wanted to listen to a few tunes, not a half an hour of shite talk, followed by the same news every five minutes. In one hour of driving, I only managed to hear one good song on the radio. Are radio stations gone to the dogs?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes. They are wuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

El Siglo wrote: »
    I was on the way to work there yesterday morning and decided to stick on the radio, and mother of jaysus I can't believe these people are paid to talk shite. I just wanted to listen to a few tunes, not a half an hour of shite talk, followed by the same news every five minutes. In one hour of driving, I only managed to hear one good song on the radio. Are radio stations gone to the dogs?

Was it Newstalk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Banter Joe wrote: »
    Was it Newstalk?

No, I was flicking between FM104, Today FM, 98FM, 2fm, i105, Beat etc... amd they were all awful, stupid presenters talking absolute shite!

I have to admit I like a bit of banter and s**te talk on the radio in between songs especially in the morning. I much prefer i102-104 a regional station the west it is much better than the national stations imo, they can get away with a lot more on the radio as well and of course they have the legend of a show that is Tommy(tiernan) and Hector. I have a particular dislike for 2fm for some reason. Today fm can be alright at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

El Siglo wrote: »
    No, I was flicking between FM104, Today FM, 98FM, 2fm, i105, Beat etc... amd they were all awful, stupid presenters talking absolute shite!

all crap, today fm after 7pm is good, and 2fm atfer 10pm is good

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

When I want talk I put on RTE1 or Today FM with Ray D'Arcy. I can't stick rubbish like Colm and Jim Jim.

Seriously, other than tunining for the news and topical relevant discussions about life related items (not what jorden or whatever is up to) - I've given up on music radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Newstalk is where it's at. TodayFM after 7 and sometimes but very rarely 2fm. RTE1 is woeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Play CDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Is it just me or did something happen to today fm?

Casually flicking the stations i used to find myself stopping on today fm quite a lot. Then one day it's like they just changed completely and they never seem to play anything good anymore.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭BDubliner

Lyric FM has gone to the dogs recently as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

bleg wrote: »
    RTE1 is woeful.

They really gutted the mid afternoon, then Fanning in the evenings, good grief.

I enjoyed Vincent Browne, a bit hammy, but for what the show stood for, I accepted its faults. You only get a chance to catch something 'settled' and stimulating, in the late evening, if at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

vinylmesh wrote: »

Casually flicking the stations i used to find myself stopping on today fm quite a lot. Then one day it's like they just changed completely and they never seem to play anything good anymore.

You just got old. :(

I prefer the BBC stations for (talk) listening to. HERE
    BBC4 - BBC5 - BBC7 (Comedy Channel) being my favourites.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

My CD player broke in my car a few months ago. I felt like killing myself while listening to some of the crap on the radio.
    Eventually I gave up and drove in silence until my CD player was fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

If you have Real Alternative installed, you can use:

http://delicast.com/radio/Ireland

..to listen locally, or go global, even catch RTE 1 TV News.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

vinylmesh wrote: »

Denis O'Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I listen to BBC Radio 1 now, plays decent new music during the day mostly and there's the odd funny bit of banter during their shows

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kfc1

Agreed- Ray Darcy on Today FM should be renamed the text in show and what is it with pratically every station doing sports shows on Sunday mornings???

Sunday Supplement is good with Sam Smythe on Sunday mornings, Today FM. I'm rarely up to listen to it in full recently though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Colm and bum chum ruined it for me years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

RTE 1 is excellent. The news show in the morning is great, and when i get home from work I listen to the music show between 7 and 8 which plays great tunes. But yeah when i go for coffee every day at 11, the same tunes are playing every day on whatever station it is they play in the cafe, think it's 98fm, f*cking Picture House, Aslan etc. Those DJs should be beaten up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead absolutely detests the on air "banter" between presenters on those stupid afternoon radio shows. Tony Fenton or one of those spanners cracking rubbish jokes while Mary who's doing the traffic laughs for way longer than is necessary in an attempt to try and show her station bosses that she can do light entertainment with the best of them.

The absolute desperation in Mary's laugh is a horrible horrible sound. The poor girls sick to death of droning on about "tailbacks and oil spills on the M50" and she has resorted to laughing at rubbish jokes told by a rubbish man who for some strange reason chooses to speak in a rubbish American accent. Get out while you can Mary, it's not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Yes, most of the local home grown radio ststions are *hite, thats why I listen to the Beeb ststions, from Radio1, Radio2, Radio3, Radio4, Radio5, + Classic FM, (the rich mans Lyric FM) ............

Admittedly the choice of UK ststions is limited to many people here, but even if you only have the basic NTL package at home, you can still plug in your HiFi to the FM socket and receive a fairly decent spread, from BBC Radio1 to BBC Radio5 (talk sport).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Q102 isnt bad. I like the "my 9 at 9" driving to work in the morning. Spin 1038 after 8pm though as its just waffle during the day. FM104,Today FM and 2FM are terrible and i cant stand Matt Cooper his voice goes through me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I like FM104... during the day I don't think there's all that much talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

orourkeda wrote: »
    Colm and bum chum ruined it for me years ago.

Ooh, I see what you did there.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Ooh, I see what you did there.

What's the point in saying this when you don't post the pelican?

http://assets.knowyourmeme.com/i/681/original/what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

bleg wrote: »
    What's the point in saying this when you don't post the pelican?

http://assets.knowyourmeme.com/i/681/original/what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

That's horrifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Radio went to crap when they realised that they could cut down the amount of music played by filling each hour with crap talk with a Mid-Atlantic accent...you don't pay royalties on crap talk. The same trick is used in TV programmes like the Late, Late Show...about 25mins is wasted in an on-air competition which should really be run off air.

Yes I do want to listen to some moron answer questions to win a U2 spoon.
    Yes I really do want to listen to a two person phone in quiz which takes up to 6 mins to complete and is of no benefit to me whatsoever.

Modern music radio should not have any DJ's on air...news and sports fair enough.

Advertisement