Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying your own wallet / purse

Options
  • 24-08-2009 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

Always been told that buying your own purse/wallet is bad luck. That if you do buy your own you will never have any money to fill it with.

Lady stopped me in pennys last week and asked me "if i give you the money will you take this purse up to the counter and buy it" . I did, but TBH last few times i got a friend to do it would never ask a stranger

So do you buy your own wallet / purse?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You should have taken her money. That way she'd realise that not buying your own purse/wallet is bad luck too. Always bought my own wallet and never had a problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes, bought my own wallet and don't have a problem filling it with my own cash at any stage!
    That saying is a load of bunkum that belongs back in the dark ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Never heard of this,in need of a new wallet so in light of new information Ill have to ask you to buy it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My mam forbade me from ever buying my own purse :pac:

I bought myself one once and I lost it. It had 60 euro and all my cards in it too...
    Since then I've been using a gorgeous one my sister gave me with no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

got mine in a miller promo :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

superstitious crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Never heard of this, bought my own wallet but don't carry around a lot of cash to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I bought my own wallet and it's stuffed full of 200 euro notes. Nuts to you and your ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,813 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Don't be daft.. I buy my own wallets.

I do steal other people's however!

Regards,

"Sticky fingaz!"

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

I've bought several of my own wallets and nothing bad ever happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

i didn't buy my wallet. Left it in topman- got it back. Left it in superquinn- got it back. Left it in pubs and restaurants and i've gotten it back. Yes i am forgetful, but i've always lost the wallets i've bought myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

bleg wrote: »
    I bought my own wallet and it's stuffed full of 200 euro notes. Nuts to you and your ****!
    pics or GTFO

...Seriously, I've never actually seen a €200 note

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭JTC83

Never heard of that, but my Mum has another one. I wanted a cross necklace and she refused to buy me one saying it's seen as giving someone an extra cross to carry in life. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Never heard of this, i hate supersitious bull-****.
    The only bad luck involved is when you are broke.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

phasers wrote: »
    pics or GTFO

...Seriously, I've never actually seen a €200 note

http://biz.thestar.com.my/archives/2008/12/25/business/p2-currencyi.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

My mother bought my latest purse, but I'd have no qualms about buying myself one if I needed one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

basquille wrote: »
    Don't be daft.. I buy my own wallets.

I do steal other people's however!

Regards,

"Sticky fingaz!"

*hands over wallet* I believe everything is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭YoungPayters

i didn't buy my wallet. Left it in topman- got it back. Left it in superquinn- got it back. Left it in pubs and restaurants and i've gotten it back. Yes i am forgetful, but i've always lost the wallets i've bought myself!
    must be a horrible wallet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Got my wallet as a going away present. Managed not to lose it in eight months of travelling round the world, so maybe there's something to it!
    Though I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I don't know about buying your own wallet or purse, but my ma always said if you buy one for someone else, put money in it before you give it.
    Even just a coin, it's supposed to be lucky for the other person or some drivel like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

+1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

The O.P is right you should never buy your own wallet/purse, mine was brought for me 15 years ago and i still have it and ive travelled and lived all over the world, never lost it once and ive been in many tricky and drunk situations. Dont mock something ye dont understand its all 2 easy to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

@youngpayters
    It's actually really really nice, i just dunno what it is about me- i had it for a couple of months and it never happened and since it happened once it now happens all the time!! I'd die if i lost it- i was there when it was bought for me- it was a pretty penny!! Haha maybe that's why i didn't buy it- not superstition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 jokerrus

Dont need one man, no$$$$
    bla, twas joking. Mine was a gift. I do buy my own as well but u know urself. Girls complain if u dont use what they get u

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

jokerrus wrote: »
    Dont need one man, no$$$$
    bla, twas joking. Mine was a gift. I do buy my own as well but u know urself. Girls complain if u dont use what they get u
    Y O Y are these letters missing from your post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Could do with a new purse, good enough reason to give to someone to buy me a new one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ChickenScratch

phasers wrote: »
    My mam forbade me from ever buying my own purse :pac:

I bought myself one once and I lost it. It had 60 euro and all my cards in it too...
    Since then I've been using a gorgeous one my sister gave me with no problems

I BOUGHT YOU THAT PURSE

...I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

karlog wrote: »
    superstitious crap

You think.
    I heard they proved this recently. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

If some one bought me a wallet Id more then likely bin it, I know what I like I know where to buy it, most of my family don't. so I buy my own wallets.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Never heard of that before! Been buying my own wallets for years and I've done ok...

Advertisement