Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E30 Restoration

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Alternator is just about ready to go - can't say I've ever dealt with anyone in the motor trade before who is so straight up, and thorough - he sent me details of the bebuild:

Just a quick update on the alternator.......

alt_1.jpg

As mentioned the other night got her stripped down and checked over on Tuesday evening.......

alt_2.jpg

The two bearing inside the alternator were really showing their age,
    both were rough to spin and the larger of the two shown below was
    starting to seize..........

alt_3.jpg

These are all the changeable parts inside the alternator, the two bearings,
    the brush pack/regulator (on the left) and the rectifier (top)...........

alt_4.jpg

Collected all the new bits after work yesterday evening..........

alt_5.jpg

the slip rings that the brushes ride on cleaned up perfect with sanding........

alt_6.jpg

Once everything was cleaned the main body of the alternator was rebuilt.........

alt_7.jpg

Got the alternator back today - looks like new, will hopefully get it fitted early this week.

img_0340.jpg

img_0341.jpg

Big thanks to Brian at XWorks Motorsport for doing the job so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Silvera

kdevitt wrote: »
    You realise just how naff German style reg plates have become when you see them on a Mitsubishi Galant (complete with E46 M3 style side grilles!). Ordered these from eireplates.com - very quick delivery as usual.

img_0288.jpg

I always opt for those pressed-plates too.
    (However, Eireplates always seem to use the smaller 'strokes' on all their plates - the larger 'strokes' would be correct for your plate).

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Eireplates

Silvera wrote: »
    I always opt for those pressed-plates too.
    (However, Eireplates always seem to use the smaller 'strokes' on all their plates - the larger 'strokes' would be correct for your plate).

If a customer wants the larger hyphens we can do them at the time of ordering. Ken wanted the modern euro plates with IRL, county and hyphens. Because his is an '83 he could of infact went without the IRL, hyphens and county and it would comply with law.

Welcome back Ken!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Silvera

Eireplates wrote: »
    If a customer wants the larger hyphens we can do them at the time of ordering. Ken wanted the modern euro plates with IRL, county and hyphens. Because his is an '83 he could of infact went without the IRL, hyphens and county and it would comply with law.

Welcome back Ken!

Fair enough.
    However (putting on my number plate nerd jacket;)) larger hypens are the 'default' hypen for a plate with that many (i.e. so few) digits. Smaller hypens were only introduced in 2000 to accommodate Dublin plates when they hit 100,000 (i.e. 00-D-100000).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

....and also a 370mm Tech 1 wheel....

I didn't realise the tech 1 was that rare. I have an '86 chrome bumper model that had the standard plastic wheel which was in poor repair when I got the car so I got a tech 1 on ebay for peanuts! This could be 7 years ago though. I'm talking about 30 euro or so.

Your car looks the nuts. Love the kit on it.

The 370mm one is rare - it's no longer available from BMW. The 385mm one is still available - can be bought cheaply.

You did we'll if you got the 370mm one for that kind of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

welcome home KD

looking forwad to seeing this old girl back on the road

welcome home KD

looking forwad to seeing this old girl back on the road

Cheers! Shouldn't be long now.

Managed to get out today to get the alternator fitted. Was relatively straightforward, and was pretty excited fitting the new battery and getting ready to start her up. Bearing in mind that it hasn't been running in a year or so, it ran great - took a quick video after a minute or so of idling:

Unfortunately, after putting a multimeter across the battery terminals, it was only reading 12.2V, so it wasn't charging. Didn't have time to do any further investigation, but hopefully its something simple.

And as promised, a photo of the car -

img_0358.jpg

Its pretty dull looking, but am hopeful that it was be gleaming by the time I get it to Carcraft for a paint touchup.

Here's the highlights of the paint damage - I think this should be easily remedied.

img_0359.jpg

img_0360.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Fixed

Genealogy Forum Mod

Not a huge update today - drove the car home the other evening, took a chance on the battery surviving, which it did. Battery was still reading 12.2V by the time I got home, so think theres a chance the alternator is charging - just not at the right voltage. Will be sorted soon enough anyway.

Managed to get all the interior trim back in place over the weekend - some dash bits and a doorcard were off, and replaced some missing fuses and some blown ones. Still having an issue with the windows, power antenna and cigarette lighter which I think are all connected, but its not a priority.

Gave it a good cleaning, so thankfully it looks less like an abandoned car than before the wash!

img_0385.jpg

img_0386.jpg

img_0387.jpg

img_0388.jpg

img_0389.jpg

After:

img_0391.jpg

img_0394.jpg

img_0395.jpg

Also dropped it off at some local mechanics to get a quote on a full mechanical overhaul to get it through an NCT prior to the manual box being fitted. Currently drives like crap! Have a full brand new blueflame exhaust I picked up for it which I'm now going to sell on, so if you're interesting in it drop me a PM.

Some more minor updates - nothing to get too excited over!

First up is a little toy I was delighted to see arriving in one piece from the US. Its a light dimmer relay which replicates the effect you get in a newer model like an E46 which gradually dims the lights after you close the door, rather than them just turning off. Probably will go unnoticed by most people! :D

img_0420.jpg

Next up was a new head unit - the one I had in it was giving me issues. Had a search for something OEM looking, and couldn't really find anything except for the Becker units - which are going for big money. There's a chance I'll go for one at some stage, but for the moment, this cheap Pioneer unit will do the trick. Has audio streaming from the iPhone and is a fairly plain black finish. It looks a bit 'brighter' in the photos will the light reflecting back off it.

img_0421.jpg

img_0422.jpg

img_0431.jpg

New model badge on the boot - I know debadging is particularly popular, but I'm going to try my best to kick off the rebadging craze!

img_0430.jpg

img_0429.jpg

And lastly, a pic of the brakes I picked up ages ago - these fit under the 15's so are ideal. Added stopping power is definitely required.

img_0425.jpg

img_0427.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Not jealous of those WMS brakes at all! :eek:

Nice bit of progress happening lately, keep it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd have to have an original radio I must say - modern shiny smooth ones look all wrong in an older car. Otherwise its looks the biz

mike65 wrote: »
    I'd have to have an original radio I must say - modern shiny smooth ones look all wrong in an older car. Otherwise its looks the biz

Am not going to disagree with you there! Need the functionality though which rules out an original one - and the very basic looking, but functional, head units tend to be the very expensive ones.

Thankfully its not too in your face in the flesh - sound system is a very low priority on this at the moment though!

Brian popped out today and got the alternator up and running again - turned out I'd fried the voltage regulator when I connected it up wrong first time round. Battery is charging nicely now thankfully. Unfortunately he also brought his minty M3 out with him (this one - http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=108356&start=0) so my E30 looks particularly fault ridden in comparison!

Anyway - a few bits arrived for it during the week, so really hoping to get it in next week for the mechanical overhaul.

Full set of shocks (Bilstein B4's)

img_0477.jpg

Rear brembos and ferodo pads - very quick to arrive and very cheap from mister-auto.ie

img_0478.jpg

img_0479.jpg

Not much left to do once this overhaul is done - manual box, some paint, and some minor fixes (windows, antenna etc)

Got the subframes in today from Dave Gormley who breaks BMW's down in Wexford - he posts on E30Owners.com - very quick turnaround!

img_0512.jpg

They're in fantastic condition compared to the ones in place. Cleaned them down with engine cleaner and went over any light surface rust with a drill and wire brush attachment.

Having spoken to a few people about how to finish them off - I decided against powder coating them and went with a chassis paint. First coat is on - once finished I can drop the car in to have the major overhaul done.

img_0513.jpg

In other good news - the steering wheel arrived back from Jack @ Royal Steering Wheels. Very happy with their work as usual.

img_0515.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jwhat

I was wondering where this car had disappeared to, I was following it on the other place. Looks great now, keep up the good work

Steering wheel fitted this evening - very happy with how it worked out, feels great to drive with too.

img_0517.jpg

img_0518.jpg

Got more paint down on the subframes as well, so they're just about ready to go.

• Advertisement

Got a call from the lads today at Coolmine Motors to pop over and have a look at the progress they've made. Was pretty delighted with it to be honest - the front end is completely finished. There was a bit of a delay caused by the new front subframe I provided being bent out out shape - presumably from a front end smashed car. They only noticed after bolting everything up to it and attempting to fit it.

They took the old one off (I only provided new ones to save time in cleaning them up) and did a great job on it. Also did the wishbones while they were at it, and the front struts, chassis rails etc. Its resembling a new car from underneath at this stage.

img_0580.jpg

img_0579.jpg

Front brakes all fitted up neatly too -

img_0581.jpg

img_0583.jpg

Rear subframe is off and the one I provided will be fitted tomorrow -

img_0582.jpg

New bushes are all fitted, new wheel bearings are going in as well as the dust shields for the brakes, and of course the new discs and pads as well. The diff was also checked over and is in perfect health - hadn't noticed before, but seems there was an LSD fitted from new. The lads are just cleaning it up slightly before refitting.

Also ordered a new Eisenmann exhaust system today - so should be driving around in it pretty soon.

Got the car back and its been running great to be honest. Dropped it into Carcraft to have the front bumper resprayed - and collected it today, pics to follow.

In more significant news - had its first NCT tonight. Was struggling to get the drivers window working, so figuring it'll fail anyway I didn't stick in the sidelight bulbs which had blown. And it failed on? The sidelight bulbs (and seats belts tucked into the rear seat - just needed to pull them out). So a lesson learnt I guess - but mechanically the car is perfect. Tester even commented on it being one of the cleanest E30's he'd ever seen in there. Just need to stick the bulbs in and it'll go through on a visual retest, which is obviously great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's great news! On the NCT, could they not have done the visual there and then (after you obviously pulled out the belts and stuck in the bulbs)?

unkel wrote: »
    That's great news! On the NCT, could they not have done the visual there and then (after you obviously pulled out the belts and stuck in the bulbs)?

Presumably yes - but I left the bulbs at home!

New exhaust arrived today - top quality as expected.

img_0665.jpg

img_0666.jpg

img_0667.jpg

Its an Eisenmann exhaust with the TuV approved sound level - so shouldn't be really any louder than stock, and it retains the swept style tailpipes. Having this fitted with the Eibach Pro-Kit tomorrow.

Exhaust is in place, as are the new springs - very happy with how it worked out. Springs are an eibach pro-kit. Car is sitting slightly better now, ride has improved too. The exhaust was fitted fantastically by the lads at Coolmine Motors - they're particularly fastidious about their work as I witnessed when they wouldn't let me take the car without getting it on the ramp to ensure I was happy with it. Its all welded up properly where it should be - not a clamp in sight.

They also fixed a buckle in the drivers side front wheel which was causing some funky handling, and fixed a wiring issue with the nearside sidelight. New HT leads (Beru) were fitted too - its reduced an ever so slightly lumpy idle - distributor cap will be done soon too.

Pictures also show the newly sprayed front bumper - am delighted with the job Carcraft did, the finish is excellent. Someone tried to by it off the garage today while it was being worked on, so at least one other person likes it!

img_7453.jpg

img_7456.jpg

img_7457.jpg

img_7460.jpg

img_7462.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Very smart E30 now, must be one of the best. Makes me hanker after my E30s back in the day! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

That is stunning. Looks really really well. Fair play for doing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭carlosfandango

Absolutely lovely. Well done!
    Will you be changing the plate to a zv one or sticking to the 83d one? Just curious.

Fair play to sticking it out, followed this resto for a long time.

CFD

• Advertisement

Think I'll stick with the 83 D format - the ZV plates have 5 digit numbers now, which look as unoriginal as the 83 D format.

Have been very much unsettled on the reg plate choice for a long time - not loving these ones either to be honest. I think I preferred the German plates, despite being naff, so might get my hands on a set of the pre 87 style ones and see how they look.

Advertisement