Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E30 Restoration

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭tc20

great stuff Kdevitt, smashing colour too. Nice to see the job done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Few more updates...

dscf2320.jpg

dscf2321.jpg

dscf2322.jpg

dscf2323.jpg

dscf2326.jpg

dscf2329.jpg

dscf2331.jpg

dscf2333.jpg

Quick update - am waiting for better quality photos

image1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

I take my hat off to you. It's so encouraging to see a job undertaken seriously and done so well. Your project should be a great source of encouragement and inspiration to others. Keep up the great work and many happy miles to you with it when its finished.

A few more photos off the camera phone - still waiting for better photos!!

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Is the black plate behind the rear reg plate not from the later face lift model... so not correct for a 323i.
    I painted this body work black(behind rear reg plate) on a 323i of the same colour and vintage back in the days when the later model was current to make it look newer.

biggus wrote: »
    Is the black plate behind the rear reg plate not from the later face lift model... so not correct for a 323i.
    I painted this body work black(behind rear reg plate) on a 323i of the same colour and vintage back in the days when the later model was current to make it look newer.

Nope - its a period piece, the newer version wouldn't fit a pre-facelift. It was an option on the cars.

Heres a pic of a 333i with the same piece in place...

http://media.photobucket.com/image/e30%20333i/skazzy/E30/IMG_0003.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Learn something new every day ... i'll see can i find a pic of my Irish version of it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

biggus wrote: »
    Learn something new every day ... i'll see can i find a pic of my Irish version of it
    +1, i'd never heard of that 333i!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

Are you putting the original brown tinted glass back in?

• Advertisement

74merc wrote: »
    Are you putting the original brown tinted glass back in?

The original glass is going back in alright - except for the rear windows. Pop-outs are going in there instead of the fixed items.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

I prefer the green tinted glass of the facelift E30 but I'd probably stick with the original glass too especially if the chrome trim around the windows was being retained. I had a 86 318i in the same colour.

74merc wrote: »
    I prefer the green tinted glass of the facelift E30 but I'd probably stick with the original glass too especially if the chrome trim around the windows was being retained. I had a 86 318i in the same colour.

The chrome isn't being retained!

Some good quality photos - the glass is going back in now.

dscf0749.jpg

dscf0750.jpg

A few more updates - all the parts for the car are painted now, so its just a case of reassembly!

dscf3087.jpg

dscf3088.jpg

dscf3112.jpg

dscf3113.jpg

dscf3114.jpg

dscf3115.jpg

dscf3116.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Keep the anticipation going here!

Is that colour red or some orangey equivalent?

Dades wrote: »
    Is that colour red or some orangey equivalent?

Its called Henna Red - its a very orangey red I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Lovign the e30 resto. Any ideas what wheels you are going to go with? 16' Alpinas or the 14' Bottle caps or BBS cross spokes 14'/15'? Or try to dig out some Hartge ones maybe?
    E30%2040.jpg
    P7260072-400.jpg
    22918d1086253915-hartge-alloys-image-098-.jpg

Don't actually like the Hartges to be honest.

Wheel choice is down to 15inch BBS or 16 inch Alpinas if I stick with the 4 stud setup, or 16inch BBS wheels (off e30 m3 or off E38 7 series) if I go with 5 stud!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Personally would recommend the BBS style, more in keeping with era of car...
    Look at my handle, I love alpina's when done well but that style alloy is verging on common place, would need to be the open lug, earlier & smaller diameter style.

• Advertisement

alpina wrote: »
    Look at my handle, I love alpina's when done well but that style alloy is verging on common place, would need to be the open lug, earlier & smaller diameter style.

The cheap replicas are definately common - I'd be looking at originals though. Have only seen one set fitted on an E30 over here in the last few years - and I'd be at more BMW meets than the average non-indicator user :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

I had e21 alloys on my e30, only et 13 so they look pretty beefy. You might have to get the arches rolled on the fron however.

car.jpg

Savage rebuild btw.

A quick update with some bad photos!

First up is my favourite shot so far - the car is beginning to look complete!

image33.jpg

And a poor quality photo from Total BMW magazine this month - where the car won some polishing goodies, which I'm going to accept on its behalf! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Well done lad. When do you hope to be in possession of the car again?

Onkle wrote: »
    Well done lad. When do you hope to be in possession of the car again?

2 or 3 weeks hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Any updates on the project?

I was enjoying the photos!

Top job by the way! Well done.

W123-80's wrote: »
    Any updates on the project?

I was enjoying the photos!

Top job by the way! Well done.

Nope - unfortunately not. The lads haven't touched it in a while, and I don't have a date for when I'll get it back now. Bit of a pain - especially since I took this week off with the intent of putting it all together again!

A few more up to date photos - I'll be popping over tomorrow morning with some extra trim bits so they can finish up. Quite excited about it now - my new wheels will be going on soon, will be coming off for a refurb at some stage though.

dscf3515.jpg

dscf3516.jpg

dscf3517.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

very nice always worth the wait to get a good job done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Almost there...Out of anticipation, don't rush it out of the garage though, get those niggly bits sorted, as once it's out you most likely will never get around to doing it, best of luck!

Advertisement