Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The meaning behind your tattoos?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

I only have one, tried putting a meaning behind it but cant be arsed really:o

Basically, I like wings, I like the design, and Iv ALWAYS loved the placement (they're on me belly :P )

Currently broke as, but the next piece I get will be nothing more than a kickass, original art work.. and Im not sayin what it is cos one of you fookers will steal it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

I actually had a semi- alcohol related epiphany last night in relation to tattoos last night. As of late, all my tattoos pretty mean nothing to me. I love them, they're awesome but that was as far as it goes!

I used to hate how the Sacred Heart was really overused by people as a symbol and never really got why people had them done. However that's all changed now. Basically my Da's been in hospital for the last six weeks, and at one point we were told that that was it, game over. So naturally as a family we all turned to religion and we spent hours praying Novena prayers to the Sacred Heart. He made a miraculous recovery and is on the road to getting better. The doctors are actually hailing it as a miracle. The virus my Da had has a very high mortality rate and there are only ever six cases of it in Ireland/UK a year.

Anyways, back to my point! I really wanted to get something to mark the occassion when it hit me, again sitting in a church! (Not the pub!) I will be getting a Sacred Heart, but made look Like a stained glass window on my forearm just above all the hearts on my arm. Really think they'll connect well and it'll always remind me of how lucky I am to still have my Da around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

That f*cking Miami Ink has a lot to answer for, I'm sick to death of watching some eejit blubbing away on the telly and telling us all how getting a butterfly on her arse-cheek symbolises her dead grandfather or some other bullsh*t. I have large coverage on my left arm of Celtic zoomorphic designs, the entire inside of my forearm and one covering my deltoid and bicep. I got them because 1) I like zoomorphs and wildlife in general and 2) I like Celtic art and feel it an expression of my heritage. I'm fed up of people demanding some sort of deep "meaning" behind my tattoos or some some soppy, warbling tale á la Miami Ink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

i have a kind of love hate relationship with Miami Ink, I know its awful, but can't help watching it!! One of my guilty pleasures. I find particularly hilarious the recurring reason for getting a tat which is so and so dies and then suddenly this bird/animal/whatever appeared in our garden every day so it's clearly the dead persons spirit, now I'll get it tattooed on myself, how random!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

My personal favorite is when this fella came in wanting to get "Mangler" tattooed on his chest in memory of his pitbull, and then cried like a baby; gas stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

FTA69 wrote: »
    That f*cking Miami Ink has a lot to answer for, I'm sick to death of watching some eejit blubbing away on the telly and telling us all how getting a butterfly on her arse-cheek symbolises her dead grandfather or some other bullsh*t. I have large coverage on my left arm of Celtic zoomorphic designs, the entire inside of my forearm and one covering my deltoid and bicep. I got them because 1) I like zoomorphs and wildlife in general and 2) I like Celtic art and feel it an expression of my heritage. I'm fed up of people demanding some sort of deep "meaning" behind my tattoos or some some soppy, warbling tale á la Miami Ink.

Its LA Ink for you so my son.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 EthanWM

Dum Spiro, Spero

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lil-evil

One on my lower right arm is my daughters name in Japanese ( why jap i don't know ) and yes i checked it out loads before getting it done to make sure it was right :D

One on back and 2 shoulders are meaningless.

I am planning one for Jan/Feb , my G/F is pregnant and im planning on getting his/her baby feet and name on my left abdomen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

lil-evil wrote: »
    why jap i don't know

eh, cuz it's infinitely better than chinese! ;)

not to offend anyone, but i really do prefer japanese to chinese; i know japanese incorporates kanji too, but the hiragana and katakana look so lovely! also, because kanji are so popular for tattoos, a bit of the japanese alphabet is something different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Jew Jitsu

I have 2 tattoo's and both have a meaning behind them..I have a new york tattoo with the Twin Towers and the Hudson river in it which I got in New York during my honeymoon,in 1996..It is on my ribs(and yes it was very painfull)The date and our names are under it and I am very proud of this tattoo because it reminds me of the love I have for my wife and it always will..The second tattoo is simply ' Justin, 2000 - Eternity' in memory of my son who passed away 2 hours after he was born.It is placed on my chest where my heart is so that he can always feel the love I have for him..Meaning or no meaning it is personal choice what tattoo's you like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rachelgreen

The baby dragon on my hip comes from when I was 5 - in a kindergarten Christmas play. I was dressed up as a dragon, and had to roar like one for the play. All well and good, until I tripped on my tail and fell off the stage. Since then, I've always been called Baby Dragon by my family & friends. My coordination has not improved, 20-odd years later. :rolleyes:

Sappy? Absolutely. But it means a lot to me. :D

Having said that, I don't believe that tattoos have to have a meaning to be special.

I love baby dragon. can you show it to us?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

I have three tattoos and each of them mean a lot to me.
    The first I got when I was 17 just after a dear school friend passed away. It’s of a butterfly on a rose, signifying the butterfly that landed on the rose I put on her coffin.
    The second is the celtic trinity I got when I was 20 indicating my most important family members, my dad my mam and my nana, me being the circle that binds them.
    My third is an arrangement of three big stars with lots of little stars and stardust on my foot. I got it to represent my friends, my family and loved ones who have passed away. I travel quite a bit and may not be with them all the time, but they are taking every step of my journey with me.

I think its nice to have meaning behind tattoos but likewise I think if someone loves a design, why not? It doesn’t have to have great significance to everybody, just to wearer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Liquidtip

Em,

Only one of my tattoos means anything really. I have my right forearm done in a music scale that winds around from my wrist to my elbow. Ive a treble cleff and random notes ( as didnt wanna put a song on that i wouldn't like in the future). I also have two snare drums in it as i play drums and them dotted around are a few nautical stars. I love music. Em my others are cartoons. Just really like cartoons i guess.

So yup thats me

Liquid

Advertisement