Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The meaning behind your tattoos?

Options
  • 24-08-2009 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Another birthday is approaching and I think I want to get my 1st tattoo now. I feel I am old enough for me to know that I really do want it.

I always thought I wanted 4 tiny paw prints up behind my ear to signify my love of creatures! I have started to read more about tattoos and those who have a lot of ink. I really like the idea that a tattoo should be meaningful….like it should represent a period of your life, or your passions etc. I just feel that the paw prints aren’t special enough and will look childish as I get older. How did you all decide on an image? Are there good tattoo artists who will help me make a design with the paws that means more to me?

And…more broadly…what do your pieces signify to you? Are they just an image you liked and thought would look awesome as a tattoo or do they have more meaning to you?

Cheers all :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

just cos i like them, they don't mean much to me (apart from being awesome :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Dragonz_Rawr

The baby dragon on my hip comes from when I was 5 - in a kindergarten Christmas play. I was dressed up as a dragon, and had to roar like one for the play. All well and good, until I tripped on my tail and fell off the stage. Since then, I've always been called Baby Dragon by my family & friends. My coordination has not improved, 20-odd years later. :rolleyes:

Sappy? Absolutely. But it means a lot to me. :D

Having said that, I don't believe that tattoos have to have a meaning to be special.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I don't think a tattoo needs a miami ink style story behind it, that said it does make a chat about your tattoo interesting i guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

No stories. I just like tattoos. Put that in yer pipe and smoke it kat von D and other gickers.

No stories. I just like tattoos. Put that in yer pipe and smoke it kat von D and other gickers.

That made me giggle. Great - now everyone in the office thinks I'm slightly mad. :D

At the risk of getting slated here, I do get a bit sick of some of the stories behind some tattoo's - it's almost as if people are afraid to have a tattoo that they just like the design of?? (Says she who just posted her story :rolleyes:). My next one will probably just be a design that I like...

• Advertisement

Meh I have 5 at this stage none with any real stories, though people keep trying to tell me the stories behind them....I'm like wtf it's my tattoo stop trying to tell me a story behind it

Good grief - some people are so damn rude!!!!! Tell em to jam it, toots!

Good grief - some people are so damn rude!!!!! Tell em to jam it, toots!
    I know, My unfinished heart piece is the latest one!! One girl was giving out to me over it while trying to chat me up. How fecking odd

Jealousy is a curse!!!! That's the only plausible reason I can think of for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Mine kinda explains itself . It my Family shield

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Sativa_soul

I don't think its a requirement for a tattoo to have a meaning - but its also a lot more likely that if it does have a meaning - that you wont be as sick of it in 2yrs than if it was just something that caught your eye - of course everyone is different - so just a theory!

I have 9 tattoos of my own - some mean something - others, I'll admit, I liked the look/design of - and 7years into having them on me, there isn't one that I regret. So perhaps not boosting my theory there with that one! lol

I think the best thing to do is to get exaples of what you like, or roughly sketch it out - and find tattoo studios and take it in and talk with the artists - that way you'll find someone you connect with and who will do what you want with it - that ultimately is the most important thing in getting a tattoo - having a good design and an even better artist to pull it off. Don't be disappoined if you don't find someone right away - It took me 3 months and over 20 studios before finally settling on one all the way down in Wicklow - but I've gone there for all 9 - so all are done by the same artist - which is also a good feeling to have!

So good luck - and personally, think your design sounds really good if you love creatures that much (As do I, 3 of mine are animals (2 cats & a monkey)) And let us know how you get on and don't forget to post pics!!

Good luck & Happy Tattooing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I know, My unfinished heart piece is the latest one!!
    I'd give out to you too, why is it unfinished? :pac:

My Phoenix is the only one with meaning behind it really, the whole rebirth/renewal thing has a personal meaning to it for me.

The dragon is because I think dragons rock (^5 Dragonz_Rawr!) and my bio-mech heart is because I'm a geek and thought it'd look cool.

It's unfinished as I've script to add to it.

Yes Damo/sofaspud/Will it shall be your/yore ma's names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

I don't really like the emphasis put on literal meaning in tattoos lately. everyone has a lengthy string of symbolism for their tattoo and tells you how long they were thinking about it - and then reveals stars/cherry blossoms/a koi. Which is fine, but you clearly got it because you liked the look of it, how else could you have picked the same design as everyone else?

its ok to get it because you like the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

the only reasons behind my tattoos are my love for manga/japan/games.

no really.

:p

i've been given strange looks before because i've told people my back piece is from a video game or that the one on my ankle is from a manga (THAT'S NOT THE SAME THING AS A COMIC BOOK!!) but if they think that makes me childish, then so be it.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

There's a story behind two of mine, the third I got just because I thought it was pretty. I've another one planned that there's a meaning behind, and one or two others in the pipeline (when the precious precious money becomes available) that have no meaning at all, I just think they'd look cool. It's not a prerequisite for a tattoo to have a heart rending, tear jerking story to validate your decision to get it. :) It's your body, whatever reason you want is good enough, and if anyone else disagrees with your choice you could politely suggest that they shove it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

mine seem to be a birthday occurance. but thats the only time i ever have money haha! apart from that none of mine have any meaning i just like the pretty pictures :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 stochen_gesicht

I dont dig the whole sappy thing where people need a life changing experience as an explanation for their ink! I've got 5 tattoos and I've got my 6th booked for just over a week away- none of mine mean anything in particular to me except for this 6th one! I get tattoos coz they're kick ass art, I think people forget that that's what they are! You know what people are like though, they need an excuse for everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Seems more posters on here want to post about NOT having a story behind getting a tattoo than posters telling the meaning of their tattoos.
    If ya dont have a meaning why are ya posting in this thread?

In reply to the OP.......
    I got my tattoo as a mark of a life changing experience in my life, and its there to remind me of that event/year. Its of my birth sign, and when I was looking to get a tattoo this particular design just stood out (for its 'kick ass art').
    I'd like to think that when I'm old and grey, no matter what, I will always have this reminder (hopefully I'll remember why I got it lol ).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

my first was one meant something to me, it's not in any way obvious to anyone but myself, it is, actually, as hot2def sorta referenced, one that means a lot to me, i had planned on for about 6 years, but is just stars. next one is kinda symbolic of a large aspect of my personality that seems to bring all the most dramatic bits in my life. next is one which sorta sums up the things that brought me to emigrate (that was a crazy bit of life) and the fourth one is one that's my 'holy **** im emigrating' one. next one is gonna be based on my family/roots/home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

mine do mean something to me i suppose,they were mostly gotten a key points in my life,you wouldnt know by looking at them though,i partially just got them cause i thought they were pretty:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Yeah i'd be on the "if its kick ass art" kinda band wagon, but when i think of it, the main tatoo i got would signify my love for Sci-Fi,horror,music and general techi stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭heyjay14

Im planning on getting my one before I head into 6th year, as a sign that now life is gonna start for real. Its a sign to me to enjoy the highs and fight through the lows......

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jeege

Well I had my 7th tat done this year and it's meaningful because it was designed by my boyfriend and incorporates 2 parts of us into one that looks like a simple sword, it's class. I have another one that is significent to us, but the rest were just aesthetically pleasing (Although one of them will have to go eventually)
    They are all strategically placed so that they dont always have to be on display although my last one is on my wrist, which can obviously be seen at times, but sure what about it!:rolleyes:
    Actually I got my last one done in Kilkenny, there's a newish place beside Matt the Millers, Dark Raptor Tattoo, and your man (Robert) is brilliant!!
    He is Romanian but is quick to point out that he is a real romanian (i.e not a gypsy!!) and he works there alone, with his gorlfriend manning the desk.

He refuses to do a tattoo if he doesnt think it looks good or if he thinks it will fade or spread, and is great at free hand, cover ups and shaded tattoos.
    If anyone is thinking about new ink, they should check him out. He has a website too, if you google dark raptor tattoo you will find it. Gets a thumbs up from me anyway!!!!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Why does every tattoo have to have a meaning behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

If you bother to read any previous posts you'd see thats not the case!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 stochen_gesicht

I think everyone has an entitlement to get what they want tattooed, I dont think anybody needs to explain themselves to anyone. If someone wants to go and get a tattoo with absolutely no significance at all but likes how it looks then go for it! I think people post on boards to talk about tattoos because everything about the process interested them. I love finding somethin, finding an artist, talking through it, getting it applied, taking care of it, the whole friggin lot! I love em! Whether I get tattoos for sh!ts and giggles or not, doesnt mean I cant come on this board and talk! Right?

Anywho, plenty of people get tattoos when somethin significant happens in their life, it doesnt have to be a direct interpretation of whats happening! For example, when yer emigratin ya dont necessarily have to get a map of the place you're movin to I'm sure Crumble Froo will agree! Just something to represent that point in your life is good enough :)

vangoz wrote: »
    If you bother to read any previous posts you'd see thats not the case!!

I was replying to the OP more than any of the other posts.

Oh and out of my 5 tattoos only one of them has any meaning to me and thats only because its my daughters footprint. My other 4 are just random (Liverpool, A song, Thundercats and Transformers)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

lol..

I was getting mine today (the Judo tattoo) and the guy was like "do you fight", "what level do you fight" "Do you know Andy R...." etc - and I was thinking to myself 'like STFU I'm in agony, they don't do agony on Miami Ink'..

But to answer the OP's question.

Most of mine don't mean a thing to me, but todays one does.

Without a huge story my Judo has got me through the depths of depression & some of the hardest times in my life. I'm good now, happy as a pig in poo poo in fact.

I took my daughter with me too, the guys in Stigmata couldn't have been more friendly and accepting to having her sit with me too!... (Thanks Cathal).

Advertisement