Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age do you have to be to be called a woman or a man???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

You are a man when young little shams outside shops come up to you and say,

"Here mister, will ya buy me some fags?!"

Happened to me for the first time when i was nineteen...:(

(on i slight tangent i didnt buy them for him but bought myself some, called me a c*nt when i lit one up right beside him hahaha...):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Older than Brummytom, anyway! :P

I'd say 18 +

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Older than Brummytom, anyway! :P

I'd say 18 +

Age-ist!

If you weren't fit I'd be offended :pac:

I'd say 21+

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

You only become a man or a woman when some parent decides to use you as a threat to discipline their children e.g.

You work in a shop or something and some annoying little kid starts to have a strop, the parent then points at you and says "Now now little Timmy behave yourself or I'll have to leave you here with that man!"

That is the turning point in becoming a man or woman...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

When you no longer maintain your Bebo page,
    When the Ugg's go to the fad graveyard in the sky,
    When 'OMG', 'like', and 'sooooooooooooooooooooo' disappear from your vocabulary
    When you stop mixing apple juice with Tesco vodka,

When all these things happen, then you will be a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Over the last year or so i have noticed a change in people when refering to me. Like when I am buying something in a shop the assistant will say thank you Sir and I wondering did I age that much in a year. But I really dont care whether I refered to as Man or Lad In fact I probably is nicer to be consiudered yeouger then I am these days IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;
    If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
    Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
    And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;
    If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
    Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;
    If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
    if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
    If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
    Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
    And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I was 16 and working in McDonald's when I overheard a mother threaten her misbehaving child with 'the man' - I looked around and realised she was referring to me.

At around the same time the youngsters on Buckingham & Sheriff streets used to call me 'young fella' when I was wearing my school uniform (even though I was a decade older than them) and 'mister' if I was not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

I was 16 and working in McDonald's when I overheard a mother threaten her misbehaving child with 'the man' - I looked around and realised she was referring to me.

*to be sung to the tune of Gary Glitter's 'Leader of the pack'"*

You wanna be a paedo? Come on come on

You wanna be a paedo? Come on come on ...

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

grenache wrote: »
    I think its a physical thing rather than a mental thing. If a man/woman are fully physically developed, with no more growing left to do and hair in the various places, then is it safe to call them a man or a woman

So if they have boobs that you're allowed to google at then they are a woman!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Zigmund

When you hurt yourself and instead of crying you just go "Ahhh", Then you are a man.

Or Peter griffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I believe your a man when you have had life expierience, social expierience, can act maturely , have responibity, handle responsibility , respect others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

"Now your a man...a man man man man"
    "What makes a man is it the woman is his arms...is it...his guest for glory"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Amy33

I'm 33 and still get called a girl and will hopefully for a long time yet. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'm 22 but I can't even get a pack a cigerettes in this kip. I am no man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

trish990 wrote: »
    I'm 33 and still get called a girl and will hopefully for a long time yet. :D

Me too usually!

But a recent worrying development is when a few times shop assistants/hairdressers etc have spoken of 'the lady' -as in 'show the lady to the sinks'......and I realise to my horror they mean me! :(:eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I take it you two like cream pie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

im nearly 30 and others' reactions vary - yesterday a man told his kid to "leave the girl alone", while last week an old man walking past me said "good morning ma'am". the "ma'am" bit kinda disturbed me, tbh, no way do i look old enough to warrant that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Mina Loy

Well I had dealings with the guards today and they reffered to me as a woman when they were giving details about an incident..and I'm only 23 and I used to be called young woman, :( no more girl for me. poop

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I was in work today, when a woman said to her child, "Give that to the nice lady!", talking about me :mad:

I was like :eek: I'm 20 and I'd much rather be called a girl, than a woman or a lady! I think woman will be ok when I'm like 25! Don't ask me for logic behind that, I'm just clutching at my youth! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Mina Loy wrote: »
    Well I had dealings with the guards today and they reffered to me as a woman when they were giving details about an incident..and I'm only 23 and I used to be called young woman, :( no more girl for me. poop
    Believe me, years more "girl" for you. The guards only referred to you as a "woman" because officially you are and they had to use official-speak. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dudess wrote: »
    Believe me, years more "girl" for you. The guards only referred to you as a "woman" because officially you are and they had to use official-speak. :)
    Yes, and you will be a girl tomorrow and you will still own a car even if he called it a vay-hay-chal.

I mentioned the "talking to kids" thing, that is the main time I hear it and others seem to confirm it, there is rarely any situation where people do have to call you man/woman to your face. I have had small kids say "hey mister" looking for drink or to kick their football to them. Or small kids referring to you as a man, but otherwise it is quite rare, but as I said before it is usually adults talking to kids referring you to as a man/woman/lady, sort of teaching them respect.

Advertisement