Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age do you have to be to be called a woman or a man???

Options
  • 23-08-2009 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

I a 18 and I think that I am a young woman but people keep calling me a girl. Other people I know say that they dont think they are a old enough to be called a man or woman even though they are over 18? So if you aren't a woman when you are 18 what age do you have to be??? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I've been called a lady since I was 14

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I get called all sorts... mainly abuse.

I find 'young man' the most irksome to be honest. 'Man' I'm fine with, 'boy' or 'child' I'm fine with, as I am one.
    But 'young man' implies that, although old enough to be considered a 'man' I'm still childish - I don't like it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Ladyboy, phasers. Ladyboy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I was a woman until I was 24,ever since then I have been a man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

When your old enough not to give a **** because you've got more important things to do and worry about than what one person or another refers to you as.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

over 20....but depends on who calls you it..if a 80 year old cals you a kid its understandable

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You stop being a kid when you've had an adequate number of life experiences, both good and bad, and dealt with them

Age is subjective

• Registered Users Posts: 45,300 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

when you post a thread on AH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

brummytom wrote: »

I find 'young man' the most irksome to be honest. 'Man' I'm fine with, 'boy' or 'child' I'm fine with, as I am one.
    But 'young man' implies that, although old enough to be considered a 'man' I'm still childish - I don't like it :(

very childish reply young man:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SarahChambers

Mousey- wrote: »
    over 20....but depends on who calls you it..if a 80 year old cals you a kid its understandable

Is that actually it? I some people over 20 who get called girls too, but I guess you might be right. Sometimes I just want to be taken more seriously. I know a lot of people look down on me because of the way I live but I still think i deserve enough respect to be called a woman. I don't know why this matters to me so much but it is just really getting me down lately sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

I'm currently a 'youngfella'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Some may not agree with me, but an 18 year old is still a kid imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

In the newspapers, it's 18.

Other than that, there's no specific age - it depends on YOU. There are plenty of 24 year old manchildren and immature females.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I a 18 and I think that I am a young woman but people keep calling me a girl. Other people I know say that they dont think they are a old enough to be called a man or woman even though they are over 18? So if you aren't a woman when you are 18 what age do you have to be??? :D
    No specific age - it depends on the person and also on who is doing the referring to them. A 70-year-old will probably refer to a 40-year-old woman as a girl.
    Generally speaking though, I don't think it starts for anyone until about the late 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I think its a physical thing rather than a mental thing. If a man/woman are fully physically developed, with no more growing left to do and hair in the various places, then is it safe to call them a man or a woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Calling a 19-year-old guy in a hoodie a "man" would be just weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I think it depends on the person, their attitudes, their way of dealing with things, they way they speak and the things they speak about, their ability to think independantly, the experiences they have had in life, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

maturity is what it boils down to me thinks,

if you look at all those kids in India losing there parents at a very young age the eldest child has to bring the rest of her or his siblings up,

it could be any age from 9 upwards, its not so long ago in Ireland this was also the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

im not a man.
    im not a boy.

i am a lad.

based on local vocabulary anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I'm 18 next week and then I will insist everybody call me a man.

Nevermind the fact that I still have acne, barely any facial hair and having people ask if I'm over 16 regularly. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

brummytom wrote: »

I get called 'young man' occaisionally by old folk and hate it cos im 43.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

I have always grown up a woman, but now the athletics association is saying I could be a man ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

ottostreet wrote: »
    im not a man.
    im not a boy.

i am a lad.

based on local vocabulary anyway.

Alright lawd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Its a physical thing when your called a man but your not really a man until you reach a certain maturity, independence etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I a 18 and I think that I am a young woman but people keep calling me a girl.
    I would think it strange if people called you a woman in every situation, it does depend on who it is and in what context.

Has anybody else had awkward situations wondering what to call somebody? or where it was more awkward for the person wondering what they should call you. e.g. say a kid drops something and you pick it up and hand it to their mother, and the mother then says to the kid "say thank you to the man", but she is looking at you beforehand not knowing what to call you! obviously this is more applicable for people 18 or in their 20's.

Then you would also hear managers in work referring to "the girls in the office", it is a sort of fine line whether they are offended or complimented at being called "girls". With men it is less dodgy ground, just "the lads", or "alright men"

I suppose the cross over terms are lady and lad or guy(s)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Dudess wrote: »
    No specific age - it depends on the person and also on who is doing the referring to them. A
    70-year-old will probably refer to a 40-year-old woman as a girl.
    Generally speaking though, I don't think it starts for anyone until about the late 20s.
    That's me except in my case as a man and I take it as a comlement when a 50 year old refers to me ie, ' Hiya Lad '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Yeah, mid to late 20's...around the same time you are delighted if someone refers to you as "girl","boy" or "young wan", ironically enough. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

age is a state of mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mad_physist

Im 18 too and look older than my age, but i feel rather uncomfortable when i'm called a man, i don't excatly feel very old!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

Im nearly 24 but look like im 17 so Ill probably be a young man for a few more years!

Advertisement