Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best city/cities in Europe for photography?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DolceNera

Anouilh wrote: »
    If anybody has tips for the best views in Rome, I would be really pleased if they took time to share.

I'm from Rome, and this city is great to take photo. I suggest you to go on San Peter (obviously), and to visit all the center of the city: there are the monuments, but there are also the narrow streets that are so characteristic.
    And then i love castel sant'angelo :D

2yv44rn.jpg

jutnqw.jpgSorry for the bad quality

3873436323_50f3c95d35.jpg

3698419583_30d5c98fa7.jpg

If you need some help, ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lukeod

in the vatican, st. peters is absolutely stunning as is the vatican museum/sistine chapel.

The Vatican museum is amazing alright - make sure you get the audio guide, but no photos allowed in the Sistine Chapel!
    Rome is great alright - just try and forget that you're in Berlusconi-land, and all is good. The Pantheon is one of my favourites, and there's a great view from the top of the Il Vittoriano. I read the best view in Rome is through a keyhole in a small park not far from the Circus Maximus, where the Basilica is seen at the end of a line of trees, framed perfectly when viewed through the keyhole of a door somewhere! Can't remember the details, and didn't make it there myself - check the guidebook.

Other cities in Europe for photos - in my opinion Paris won't be beaten. London is great aswell.

I was really impressed by Porto - and the small towns inland along the Duoro river. Lovely train route along the river... My camera earned its money there...

Oh and Bergen in Norway, if only because you're on the west coast of Norway. Ah Norway...

lukeod wrote: »
    The Vatican museum is amazing alright - make sure you get the audio guide, but no photos allowed in the Sistine Chapel!
    Rome is great alright - just try and forget that you're in Berlusconi-land, and all is good. The Pantheon is one of my favourites, and there's a great view from the top of the Il Vittoriano. I read the best view in Rome is through a keyhole in a small park not far from the Circus Maximus, where the Basilica is seen at the end of a line of trees, framed perfectly when viewed through the keyhole of a door somewhere! Can't remember the details, and didn't make it there myself - check the guidebook.

Other cities in Europe for photos - in my opinion Paris won't be beaten. London is great aswell.

I was really impressed by Porto - and the small towns inland along the Duoro river. Lovely train route along the river... My camera earned its money there...

Oh and Bergen in Norway, if only because you're on the west coast of Norway. Ah Norway...

It's true, it is in Piazza dei cavalieri di Malta, you can see very well San Peter in a keyhole of a door. Near there's a park called Giardino degli aranci (park of oranges), there the view is spectacular!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

oops! i didn't realise that photography was prohibited until i was invited to leave...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cambogueno/sets/72157609936762050/

oops! i didn't realise that photography was prohibited until i was invited to leave...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cambogueno/sets/72157609936762050/

ahah everyone take a photo of the stairs in vatican museum XD
    Good photos!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Very tempted to do this myself, if I wasn't busy in college! Have my online visa electron credit card setup now ready to go so when I'm free for the next 1cent Ryanair flights it will only cost me 1cent (no credit card fees). So I could book 50 return flights for €1!!! The plan is to book a loooad, then if I'm free that day I'll go, if not... meh it's only 1c! When you join it up with €1 city link buses from Galway to Shannon, Dublin or Cork airports... and a bit of couch surfing... you can't go wrong!

I found Geneva really good this Summer.
    lukeod wrote: »

Yeap you can't go wrong with Norway! Lived/worked over there for a few months. The fjords up along the west coast, up into the arctic circle are just stunning.

Unfortunately the above two aren't very budget-friendly! Just don't eat out and stay in hostels!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I second Bruges. Lovely little city.

I would also suggest Barcelona, but on account of it's major pickpocketing problem, don't bring a big DSLR unless you've got someone with you to keep an eye out for thieving scum. Having said that, I got some good pics there with just a tiny point & shoot camera.

Vienna would be good, if you are interested in architecture, and you could get some great shots of the Danube too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lukeod

gary82 wrote: »
    I found Geneva really good this Summer.

Unfortunately the above two aren't very budget-friendly! Just don't eat out and stay in hostels!

Yes meant to say Geneva - great spot. And if you're there, over to Interlaken - amazing place.

Yes Switzerland is not cheap, and Norway is ridiculously expensive. Its almost funny...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

DolceNera wrote: »
    I'm from Rome, and this city is great to take photo. I suggest you to go on San Peter (obviously), and to visit all the center of the city: there are the monuments, but there are also the narrow streets that are so characteristic.
    And then i love castel sant'angelo :

If you need some help, ask me!

Belated thanks for this kind offer of help.

We spent three full days walking and exploring, with a trip out to Tivoli to see the Villa d'Este.

Rome is an astonishing experience and the first thing that struck me was how communicative Romans are... and friendly.

Shall certainly be going back...

http://www.romeloft.com/rome-best-areas/rione-monti/

We never got to the Vatican as I was intrigued by the courtyard garden in the

http://www.dopart.it/roma/

The portrait of Innocent X which inspired Francis Bacon was a truly scary experience, but the Tea-Room with "real" sandwiches was a life-saver.

If you go there and are squeamish, DO NOT ENTER THE CHAPEL. The tradition of relics is taken seriously still...

Many photos, notably of the http://www.flickr.com/groups/colosseum/, to come...

Advertisement