Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best city/cities in Europe for photography?

Options
  • 22-08-2009 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I've got a couple of weeks off in September and Ryanair are running some very attractive deals but there's too much choice :pac:

Ryanair offer expires on Sunday so I'd really appreciate some quick responses on this if it's not too much trouble, hoping to go maybe 3 cities and spend 1-2 days in each city

Thanks, Mark

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

my favourites are Venice and Berlin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Barcelona's great. Prague always looks fab, but I've never been.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Im just back from london. Recommended but can't comment on others as its the first place i've ever travelled to with a proper camera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Just back from a trip around europe!

Prague-Amazing for photography, best to see it at night when everything is lit up, but most sites you would do best to see them in the day and later that nite too

Venice-Again amazing city you could waste hours taking pictures of the houses

Krakow-Lovely place with a very nice main square (and its very cheap)

Budapest also has some cool spots also the Danbeau (dunno how to spell that)

Munich has some interesting sites altough you could prob see them all in a few hours so make it a quick visit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Prague is beautiful
    Amalfi coast is amazing, if your brave of heart and can rent a convertible
    Rome is cool
    Edinburgh can be fun
    Paris can't go wrong
    Naples is not as clean as Rome but has it own beauty
    Berlin has great photo ops but is massive

Haven't been but people keep telling me to go Lisbon

If I was going on a Photo holiday I would look around for where the big festivals are happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭houseoffun14

If you can try Sienna in Italy or Taormina in Sicily.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

Thanks for the replies guys,

I've been to Barca and Venice but before I was into photography in any serious way so I'll need to go back alright :)

I'll get googling the other suggestions and see what looks good!

Anyone ever been to Kaunas? pictures on wikipedia look amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

you could always travel around Ireland ...... theres loads to photo here.

I'm heading west for a couple of days, around Galway/Mayo, but I'd also like to go somewhere that isn't raining :) And the Ryanair deal seems too good to be true, could travel around 5 cities and back to dublin for about €100!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jakestevens

Krakow is a great city for photography. The market square is the largest in europe, and the buildings are magnificent. Then you have the salt mines which are out of this world, and wavel castle which is besides the river (Vistula).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

i took a five day trip to Madrid with ryanair recently, so much to photograph, great weather, great food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

I forgot to add,
    Google Lake Bled in Slovenia,,,, a crystal blue lake with a monastry in the middle, its not a city but its an amazing place!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

+1 for Italy, I've been to Pisa, Florence & Rome their great! Highly recommended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

+2 for Italy.

Notoriously difficult to get a good shot but worth the effort if you do head down to Italy.
    The only 3 active volcanoes in Europe.

Vesuvius (Naples) , Etna (Sicily) and Stromboli.

Stromboli is an absolutely magical spectacle. It erupts every hour, is located on its own little haunting island that incredibly some people inhabit and really hard to take a photo. You have to go out on a boat into the Med at night. whooooo.

You wait in silent blackness. Then out of nowhere without warning and you don't know where, Boom !

You will have to trust me on this one. :)
    I will show you my pic but all I got from the eruption was a red dot that doesn't tell the real story :(

3ADE4680234C40169F172205E96BBA60-500.jpg
    STROMBOLI ERUPTION

8D222116EBBF46DEAEDFAAC92712309C-500.jpg
    AFTER

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

+3 for Italy - Siena as mentioned earlier is beautiful. Rome is great too.

Slightly off the beaten track perhaps, but Tallinn is Estonia is a very nice city.

I love Italian food so that would be 2 good reasons to see a bit of the country :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Pal wrote: »
    You will have to trust me on this one. :)
    I will show you my pic but all I got from the eruption was a red dot that doesn't tell the real story :(

STROMBOLI ERUPTION

Lucky you didn't have red eye reduction on there :P

I've been to Prague, Barcelona and Berlin. All three were great for photography. I'd recommend Prague for a long weekend type trip, but you could easily spend over a week in Barca and Berlin as their much bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I still think it's hard to beat Dublin for every possible photography genre.

A piece of news that allows me to thank all the Board.ies who have helped me measure up over the past 18 months. One of my photos will be on the cover of a noir mystery, "Winterland", by Alan Glynn, to be published by St Martin's Press in New York in November.

http://crimealwayspays.blogspot.com/2009/05/in-like-glynn.html

http://www.bookfinder4u.com/noindex/show_images_isbnsearch.aspx?size=l&isbn=0312539223

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I'm just back from Belgium - what a stunning place. I was in Brussels and Antwerp. The architecture is simply gorgeous. So many lovely buildings and cathedrals and there's all these statues and monuments everywhere and there were people who painted themselves so well and stood so still I actually thought they were real staues too :p
    Photography wise aside, they also make so darn good waffles!

Once I sort through my 1500+ photos I'll definately share some on the board somewhere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CasimiR

+4 for Italy, just back myself - you could spent weeks in Rome alone just walking around taking photos, looks great at night with all the buildings/sites lit up too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I will be heading to Berlin later in September. Going over to shoot the Marathon on the 20th but hanging around for a few days after it, so will take my own gear as well. Looking forward to that.
    Haven't been but people keep telling me to go Lisbon

Lisbon .... Yes or No? That is a topical question ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭thefizz

Best city/cities in Europe for photography?

Prague, Krakow, Bruge and any where in Italy.

York.

The walks along the city walls are very lively and the bridges on the River Ouse make fine subjects for photography.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

I would suggest Prague as many others - had the pleasure to be there on a number of occasions, day and night, it's absolutely stunning place for taking photos...

Another place I would guess is Dubrovnik in Croatia. Not sure what state it is now but I remember it beautiful and mysterious.

And then maybe Malaga in Spain...the architecture and the sun are a stunning combination, at least for me. :)

Guess it depends on each person's taste and what kind of architecture or atmosphere you are looking for... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Bucharest, and Romania in general...fascinating country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Pal wrote: »

STROMBOLI ERUPTION

Very impressive. ;)

Istanbul isn't technically in Europe but it's a great destination for photographers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Rome.

For sheer variety and spectacle, Rome.

Whether you want to take pics of buildings, streets, cars, skies or hot women, Rome.

If anybody has tips for the best views in Rome, I would be really pleased if they took time to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

in the vatican, st. peters is absolutely stunning as is the vatican museum/sistine chapel. in rome itself, the coliseum, the forum, trevi fountain, the pantheon etc etc etc. grab a map and do the walking. there is literally something fascinating on every street. i'd love to go back again, especiallt to the vatican

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

I really want to go to Croatia and Montenegro. Dubrovnik looks amazing http://travel2croatia.net/wellness-vacation/wp-content/gallery/dubrovnik/dubrovnik1.jpg

Advertisement