Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penn v Sanchez @ UFC 105?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

As a boxing fan first, this is why I love MMA. No dicking around straight in there :D

Sanchez has looked really good in recent fights but Penn also looked in great shape in his last fight.

BJ submission 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭gravity12

The card so far

* Michael Bisping vs. Denis Kang
    * Dan Hardy vs. Dong Hyun Kim
    * Matt Brown vs. James Wilks
    * Ross Pearson vs. Aaron Riley
    * DaMarques Johnson vs. Peter Sobotta
    * Roli Delgado vs. Andre Winner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Yes, Hardy will be destroyed by the stun gun and his excellent judo game. Kang will beat Bisping as well. It is good the UFC have given Peter Sobotta another chance. Had a competitive fight in UFC 99 where he lost a decsion to one of the British WW's (Kelly or Taylor, forget which).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

(Kelly or Taylor, forget which).

It was Paul Taylor and IMO it was fight of the night (I was at UFC 99)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

If BJ is fighting at this I'm heading over. I can't see anything but a BJ win. He is better in every part of fighting that is if he keeps his conditioning up and by looking at his website he really wants to.

If I was to make my predictions now those English lads would lose but I'll keep those for a few days before it happens.

I'm disappointed, I wanted to see Wandy KO Bisping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

Yes please :D

Would have preferd a bigger name than Kang for Bisping

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

gravity12 wrote: »
    The card so far

* Michael Bisping vs. Denis Kang
    * Dan Hardy vs. Dong Hyun Kim
    * Matt Brown vs. James Wilks
    * Ross Pearson vs. Aaron Riley
    * DaMarques Johnson vs. Peter Sobotta
    * Roli Delgado vs. Andre Winner

Jesus, this must set the record for most TUF contestants on a UFC card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Wexler12 wrote: »
    Yes please :D

Would have preferd a bigger name than Kang for Bisping

Denis Kang is a big name man,maybe unknown to a lot of UFC fans but hes very popular and was the man in pride, and id have him to beat bisping too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

If Sanchez is the underdog in the betting, I'm going to stick a ton on him. I can't see BJ beating him. He looked drained in his fight with Florian, and Diego will push the fight way more..

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

Tones69 wrote: »
    Denis Kang is a big name man,maybe unknown to a lot of UFC fans but hes very popular and was the man in pride, and id have him to beat bisping too
    I seen him in Dublin when Belcher choked him out,big name coming in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

dlofnep wrote: »
    If Sanchez is the underdog in the betting, I'm going to stick a ton on him. I can't see BJ beating him. He looked drained in his fight with Florian, and Diego will push the fight way more..

i think this is a big gamble. penn is superior in almost everything to sanchez.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Wexler12 wrote: »
    I seen him in Dublin when Belcher choked him out,big name coming in

Wasn't he winning the fight until Belcher caught him in a choke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

dlofnep wrote: »

Sanchez Guida was a great fight and the pace was unreal because both fighters fought at a really high tempo. BJ can control the tempo of his fight on the feet and if/when it goes to the ground BJ is in a different league to anyone else in MMA. BJ to win by RNC in the third.

Also, Maia vs Marquart next weekend in fcking huge too.

i think this is a big gamble. penn is superior in almost everything to sanchez.

No he's not. Sanchez is a better wrestler, has comparable striking, has much better cardio and uses it to push the pace which Penn doesn't like.

I think Sanchez beats him. I don't think Penn can submit Sanchez. Even Marcello Garcia had problems submitting him - and that was 4 years ago.

If Sanchez loses, I'm be happy to eat some humble pie. But I think it's his time and BJ is going to lose to him, most likely via a decision. I'll see how the betting line is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

You make a very convincing case but maybe I'm too much of a BJ nut-hugger to see it going that way. I actually don't think Sanchez can take BJ down and I don't think he'll come off well in the boxing exchanges. While Sanchez is a good boxer, BJ is a better boxer. If combined with a hectic pace and Sanchez does manage to put bj on his back I don't see him getting that stoppage. So while obviously in a two horse race it's possible that Sanchez will grind out a decision or a late GNP stoppage I'm fully behind BJ to out class him. The proof will be in the pudding and this is why MMA is worth watching - you never know who will win or how.

He doesn't have to take him down to wear him out, the consistent attempts, and control against the cage will do enough. I wasn't impressed with Penn against Florian, he did seem to tire early and I think Sanchez is a better fighter than Florian and will test him further.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

It was Paul Taylor and IMO it was fight of the night (I was at UFC 99)

It was a great fight alright. I thought the fight between the Bosnian and the Dutch lad was the fight of the night.

As it is with most UFC's, the best fights are on the undercard.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

It was a great fight alright. I thought the fight between the Bosnian and the Dutch lad was the fight of the night.

As it is with most UFC's, the best fights are on the undercard.

Struve Vs Stoic (?)

Stefan earned himself some fans with that comeback. Bloodflow on the level of Penn Vs Stevenson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Maynard wrote: »
    Struve Vs Stoic (?)

Stefan earned himself some fans with that comeback. Bloodflow on the level of Penn Vs Stevenson.

That was a crazy fight plus the come back of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Killme00 wrote: »
    Sanchez Guida was a great fight and the pace was unreal because both fighters fought at a really high tempo.
    +1

Sanchez Guida was fight of the year so far. I reckon it'll still be fight of the year by september. If Sanchez fires out like he did against guida and keeps it up until the third then BJ's conditioning will go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

both guys are great at sh*t talk so this fight will be hyped up by 105. Should be a great fight. Sanchez to win in my opinion. GNP rd 3 onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I am gonna pick Penn for this, but think it will be closer than Florian Penn.

While Penn's cardio will continue to be suspect, I have my doubts about Sanchez too, given the amount of weight he has to cut.

I can't wait to see this fight, I think BJ will choke Sanchez out in the 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

Dont Fancy Bisbings chances though...

Outforthecount.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭gravity12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

gravity12 wrote: »

Crap! 105 goes back to being an average card. It needed a fight like this to make it special

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

From mmaweekly "UFC president Dana White on Thursday said a third UFC event was in the works for November, featuring a headlining bout between lightweight champion B.J. Penn and Diego Sanchez.

What may really peak interest is that he said the event was neither a pay-per-view nor a Spike televised affair, lending credence to strong speculation of a long coveted network television deal.

"Wait and see boys... if I can pull this one off," he said."

Possible network tv deal in the works?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I wonder what are the odds that the third card will on the same night as the SF card

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

unknown13 wrote: »
    I wonder what are the odds that the third card will on the same night as the SF card

50/50 :pac: It'll either be the first Sunday or the last Sunday of the month, and if it is a new network deal then I would think that the network would have the main say in what date is used rather than the UFC. Dana said that he doesn't need live programming to counter Strikeforce, which is true, so I think that the best plan for them would be to run the show on a different date from Strikeforce, just to get a bigger audience for their first show on the new network, assuming that's what it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Just recognised there are cheap flights going with aerlingus. I'm fairly skint, but am really tempted to try ufc 105 on a shoestring? But with sanchez v diaz seemedly not on the card, it seems the show isn't worth the effort. Anyone want to talk me into or out of it? Bisping getting ktfo by denis kang only makes the event some-what inviting.

Advertisement