Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arctic Monkeys, Humbug

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Rabbit Heart

It took me a while to get into this album but its definitely grown on me over the last week or so.

Secret Door is probably my far track atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭FeistyOneYouAre

Its very Last Shaddow Puppets. And just like Age of the Understatement it has like 2 catchy songs and the rest are really mellow. Not feelin it tbh, I mean compared to the previous albums it not worth a ****e!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

It's grown on me a lot, but it does have quite a few weak points. I think it's objectively their third best album, but as another poster said, given what they were following there's no shame in that. It's still a very good album in itself, just not quite as good as the first two. I do respect them for trying something different again, and pulling it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 vinniew09

total let down compare 2 d 2 others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

i don't understand how some magazines said this album was a lot heavier......i was thinking black sabbath...which would have been cool....ive only listened to it twice....but none of the tunes jump out at me the same as the first two albums which are class.....its like turner got into nick cave too much or something.....but in saying that it could be a grower .........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Twilighter

It appealed to me from the start. I didn't have great expectations for the 3rd album to be honest but it's an absolute belter.. It sounds different from their previous music, more mature from their amazing first album and more slower but still so good..

When I hear 'My Propeller' at the start, it's fabulous.
    I love Crying Lightning & Cornerstone aswell.

I'd definately give it time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

Yeah it's growing on me more and more. My propeller, jeweller's hands and dance little liar are my favourites. The lyrics to dance little liar are amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

I couldn't stand it the first time I heard it, and after a few listens I love it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,758 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yeah its a grower - loving "Cornerstone" "My Propeller" and "Dance little liar"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

After a second listen, My Propeller, Crying Lightning and Cornerstone are my favs.

Still not a patch on their first two albums though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 LOIfootball

Still not a patch on their first two albums though.

I agree.

'Pretty visitors' is the best song on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

So far I'v listened to this album about 6-8 times in full, and I have to say after the first two or three it really grew on me. I weas never all that fond of 'Fav Worst Nightmare' so I personally feel this is the 2nd best album...

Never even going to come close to 'Whatever you say...'! That is by far my favourite album of all time.

My personal favourite songs are 'Pretty Visitors' and 'My Propeller'.

Anyone hear the bonus song 'Sketchhead'? Kinda cool and funky if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Listened to it 2 or 3 times now.

Just going to echo what most others have said, it definitely needs time, but its a very good album.

Favourites atm are My Propeller, Dangerous Animals, Potion Approaching and Fire and the Thud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SkullzNfangs

humbug definetly has some of the last shadow puppet's influence,and those days in the desert with josh homme seem to have an effect too...i enjoyed every track on he album but cornerstone,pretty visitors and crying lightning just stand out so much to me. I like the direction they're going,it's alot of fav worst nightmare's sound matured,i'm really interested how this album's tracks sound live..can't wait to see them in the o2 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Twilighter

So far I'v listened to this album about 6-8 times in full, and I have to say after the first two or three it really grew on me. I weas never all that fond of 'Fav Worst Nightmare' so I personally feel this is the 2nd best album...

yeah i never really got into favourite worst nightmare either so this would be the 2nd best for me aswell. still love it..
    cornerstone and dance little liar are the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 galla

dont like it all!! lost der edge and rock n roll spark!! very boring album..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Video for "Cornerstone"

I can see this having dividing opinions, but IMO its refreshing to see a band not taking themselves too seriously while still delivering great music. Must have cost about £5 pound to make but I have to say i liked it.

Just like "Crying Lightning", directed by Richard Ayoade aka "Moss" from The IT Crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Corholio wrote: »
    Video for "Cornerstone"

I can see this having dividing opinions, but IMO its refreshing to see a band not taking themselves too seriously while still delivering great music. Must have cost about £5 pound to make but I have to say i liked it.

Just like "Crying Lightning", directed by Richard Ayoade aka "Moss" from The IT Crowd.

5 pound is an overstatement :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 rogerdodger

Personally speaking I like it. It's nothing like the first two albums, spiky and upfront. This album is really different, which I really like anyway. For a band to step outside their comfort zone is brave and they really pull it off. Alex's lyrics are still pretty savage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Sketchead is an amazing song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Absolute bollox tbh
    Don't think it's that outlandish a statement really! It's a cracking song and is definitely in my top five Arctic Monkey songs. Such a gloriously simple melody with very Pulp-esque lyrics. Think it will go down as one of their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

a few good songs, but it mostly all sounds the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭cson

nipps wrote: »
    a few good songs, but it mostly all sounds the same..

If you're talking about the 3 albums as a whole you couldn't be more wrong. If its Humbug as a whole, then I understand theres a similar theme running through the album, but all the same? Not true. Listen to Crying Lightening and Cornerstone one after each other. ;)
    Corholio wrote: »
    Video for "Cornerstone"

He might use one of those album sales to buy himself a haircut might Alex Turner :p

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

cson wrote: »
    If you're talking about the 3 albums as a whole you couldn't be more wrong. If its Humbug as a whole, then I understand theres a similar theme running through the album, but all the same? Not true. Listen to Crying Lightening and Cornerstone one after each other. ;)

He might use one of those album sales to buy himself a haircut might Alex Turner :p

ye am talking about humbug, but i generally like the arctic monkeys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Taz86

I love Secret Door and Cornerstone the most. I cannot stop playing these two songs.
    I'm enjoying Alex's deep vocals and, as mentioned already, his lyrics are still ace. "I elongated my lift home
    I let him go the long way round
    I smelt your scent on the seat belt and kept my short cuts to myself"
    And she wrote it out in Letraset
    "No, you can't call me her name"
    "As all the Fools on parade cavort and carry on for waiting eyes
    Ones you would rather be beside than in front of
    She's never been the kind to be hollowed by the stares."
    I could go on but I'll not... you know the lyrics already.
    I'm not too keen on the image at the moment. I liked the shorter hair and sporty clothes.
    Favourite Worst Nightmare is my firm favourite album of the three. It's the one that I let play right the way through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 crapbag24

Defo a grower. listened to it twice now and second time i appreciated it more than the first. I look forward to seeing them at the end of November

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Amyyy

Was so disappointed with the album at first but now i love it :) especially Dangerous Animals and My Propeller :) Can't wait to see them in november :O

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

this album is a total disappointment, even after few listens.
    pity...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

i still cant get over their current set list.its awful
    one of the bast bands around.one of my favourites.
    it may as well be fully seated.i watched cornerstone on jonathan ross and was bored.i cant imagine 1000's of us in the o2 standing still to this.

these are the songs they are NOT playing

MARDY BUM
    LEAVE BEFORE THE LIGHTS COME ON
    CERTAIN ROMANCE
    WHEN THE SUN GOES DOWN
    BIGGER BOYS AND STOLEN SWEETHEARTS
    BRIANSTORM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

i still cant get over their current set list.its awful
    one of the bast bands around.one of my favourites.
    it may as well be fully seated.i watched cornerstone on jonathan ross and was bored.i cant imagine 1000's of us in the o2 standing still to this.

these are the songs they are NOT playing

MARDY BUM
    LEAVE BEFORE THE LIGHTS COME ON
    CERTAIN ROMANCE
    WHEN THE SUN GOES DOWN
    BIGGER BOYS AND STOLEN SWEETHEARTS
    BRIANSTORM

Amen.

I really liked the album, but they just were not good on Jonathan Ross. Now I don't know if this is an insight into what they're gonna be in the O2... but well I think they've after losing their spark live...

Btw besides Brianstorm, you listed probally their best songs! :)

Advertisement