Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arctic Monkeys, Humbug

Options
  • 21-08-2009 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Anyone checked out the new Artic Monkeys album?

Listened to it just the once, and I'm kinda disappointed. Out of the whole album there was only 3-4 songs that I really liked.

I really hope its a grower...

Pretty Visitors is by far my fav on the album.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Anyone checked out the new Artic Monkeys album?

Listened to it just the once, and I'm kinda disappointed. Out of the whole album there was only 3-4 songs that I really liked.

I really hope its a grower...

Pretty Visitors is by far my fav on the album.

I was the same way when i listened to it but its absolutely a grower. Songs that dont seem that memorable become more so with each listen. "Cornerstone" may be the best song Turner's ever written IMO.

Give it time.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

Corholio wrote: »
    I was the same way when i listened to it but its absolutely a grower. Songs that dont seem that memorable become more so with each listen. "Cornerstone" may be the best song Turner's ever written IMO.

Give it time.

I really hope your right, as Whatever you say I am... Is most definately My favourite album ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Definetly a grower. A great album.

My Propellor, Crying Lightning and Potion Approaching are my faves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

The album pretty much takes on the sound of the last song off the arctic monkeys album, that being 505 off Favourite Worst Nightmare. Humbug is a much slower and mature sounding record, so far i'd give it 8 out of 10. I need to give a few more listens before it grows on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well what a disappointment that was. All the attitude that made them so exciting in the first place is gone.

Glad I got to see them live before they start touring that shite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Been listening to it for about 2 weeks now and love it! It really does grow on you, only song I see as dodgy is Dangerous Animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

i only heard about 5 tracks from the album on a bbc live session....was'nt impressed....the older tunes blew the newer ones away....il give the album a full listen...hopefully the other tunes are killer.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭NiallMH

Its nothin lik there other stuff but , people are too worried about bands changin imo . Lik i think this is a real good album , same with KIngs of Leon , people annoyed there fav band changed , even tho they made a class album .
    Bottom line . Nothin like last 2 albums but still worth buyin even if your not too much of a fan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I love it,as a huge queens fan I can definitely hear the influence
    i have to say i wouldn't have been too gone on the old stuff,but this is one of the best records ive heard this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I really like what I've heard from it so far. I have a suspicion Arctic Monkeys are going to go the way of Blur - a bit gimmicky at the start but ultimately maturing into really respected musicians. I like their first album but I also get a vibe of childish "we're so full attitood" off it - it seems to me they've grown out of that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

It really is a grower, didn't like it when I heard it first but all the songs are really growing on me.

I agree with with Corholio, Cornerstone is a gem of a song, love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

Been listening to it for the weekend now...It took me 4/5 listens to really like it, the songs all took on new dimensions after a few listens and grew on me. Only real negative is I kind of miss the little details in the lyrics of their previous two albums...knackered converse, trilbies and glasses of white wine, ford mondeos. The lyrics from this album dont paint as vivid pictures as the previous two.
    Class album overall though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Listening to it for the first time right now, sounds alright.

However I never bothered listening to the earlier albums so I can't compare it to their other works.

Orizio wrote: »
    Listening to it for the first time right now, sounds alright.

However I never bothered listening to the earlier albums so I can't compare it to their other works.

You really should as they are both brilliant albums.

Starting to grow on me, but I'm still not as fond of it as the last two albums.

The album follows a kinda of carnival, mystical theme. evident in songs like 'pretty visitors','the jewellers hands', 'dangerous animals' etc. Two absolute gems on the album are 'secret door' and 'cornerstone'. The latter is so lush and vivid, almost the monkeys own wonderwall.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

The album follows a kinda of carnival, mystical theme. evident in songs like 'pretty visitors','the jewellers hands', 'dangerous animals' etc. Two absolute gems on the album are 'secret door' and 'cornerstone'. The latter is so lush and vivid, almost the monkeys own wonderwall.

A boring three chord melody that has no meaningful lyrics and is pretty much pedantic in every sense? I think not...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

lordgoat wrote: »
    A boring three chord melody that has no meaningful lyrics and is pretty much pedantic in every sense? I think not...

So what if it's pedantic? Pedantry does happen to be Turner's lyrical forte. Fantastic tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Listened to this a fair bit now and I have to say its my favourate album out of the three. There isn't a weak point from start to finish which I can't say about the other two, as much as I love them both.

I can understand how it can split fans, but for me its always nice to see a band I like leaving their comfort zone and pulling it off.

Sweet wrote: »
    So what if it's pedantic? Pedantry does happen to be Turner's lyrical forte. Fantastic tune.

See if you go back and read my post. You'll see that i did not call that song pedantic, nor the lyrics contained within, as i do not think this to be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

See if you go back and read my post. You'll see that i did not call that song pedantic, nor the lyrics contained within, as i do not think this to be the case.

Oh were you referring to Wonderwall itself? If so, apologies.:)

u clearly aren't a monkeys fan, cornerstone is their best song to date, great melody and quite cunning lyrics 'I elonated my lift home, I told him to take the long way round, I smelt your scent ont he seatbelt and kept my short cuts to myself'

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

u clearly aren't a monkeys fan, cornerstone is their best song to date, great melody and quite cunning lyrics 'I elonated my lift home, I told him to take the long way round, I smelt your scent ont he seatbelt and kept my short cuts to myself'

Absolute bollox tbh

Did you even read my post? Do i have to explain it more simply?

Also do you have the capacity to understand others and respond without
    1) making assumptions (in this case i am referring to telling me i don't like the band)
    2) quoting a lyric for some unknown reason? Is it to prove how cool you are/look at me i can copy and paste from google.

Also cornerstone is grand song but in my opinion it's nowhere near the best on this album and is far down the list overall. It is better than the current single which i think is pretty ****e.

Did you even read my post? Do i have to explain it more simply?

Also do you have the capacity to understand others and respond without
    1) making assumptions (in this case i am referring to telling me i don't like the band)
    2) quoting a lyric for some unknown reason? Is it to prove how cool you are/look at me i can copy and paste from google.

Also cornerstone is grand song but in my opinion it's nowhere near the best on this album and is far down the list overall. It is better than the current single which i think is pretty ****e.

mate don't get cheeky, im not proving how cool i am, i didn't even copy and paste the lyrics. I knew those lyrics off by heart cos I like the song. I wasn't even sure if i spelt 'elonated' correctly. but if u don't like the new arctic monkeys that's ur opinion.

mate don't get cheeky, im not proving how cool i am, i didn't even copy and paste the lyrics. I knew those lyrics off by heart cos I like the song. I wasn't even sure if i spelt 'elonated' correctly. but if u don't like the new arctic monkeys that's ur opinion.

Ha!

One more you ignore the previous post. And what i have said.
    And once again don't tell me what my opinion is, i am more than capable of expressing it clearly.

Elongated.

Ok I think he means is: Cornerstone=Wonderwall, I do not think so, Wonderwall is A boring three chord melody that has no meaningful lyrics and is pretty much pedantic in every sense, while Cornerstone is nothing like this and is much better. I think thats a bad comparision as Cornerstone is a great song.

Am I right, is that the jist of it?

Ok I think he means is: Cornerstone=Wonderwall, I do not think so, Wonderwall is A boring three chord melody that has no meaningful lyrics and is pretty much pedantic in every sense, while Cornerstone is nothing like this and is much better. I think thats a bad comparision as Cornerstone is a great song.

Am I right, is that the jist of it?

Surely it wasn't that complicated...

Ha!

One more you ignore the previous post. And what i have said.
    And once again don't tell me what my opinion is, i am more than capable of expressing it clearly.

Elongated.

get a life and stop giving out about anything i post, good job with the spelling check, u must have been top student at gonzaga

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Picked up humbug about a week ago and im loving it. To be fair though it is their third best album but when you look at what they had to follow there is no shame in that.

Stand out tracks for me are 'Cornerstone', which like a previous poster said is one of the best Alex has ever written, 'Dance Little Liar' and 'The Jeweller's Hands'

Advertisement