Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Editors single "Papillon"

Options
  • 20-08-2009 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭

Was supposed to premiere on Zane Lowe's show next monday but Phantom FM played it a few mornings this week. Mr Lowe apparently not too happy about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0kWxMYhMcg

Personally I think its a cracking track. Very different sound from them but they pull it off brilliantly IMO. Very Depeche Mode, and no im not comparing bands, just the sound.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Quite likin that actually. Hopefully the rest of the album is as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

It's quite electronic for them, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

meh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

It's quite electronic for them, isn't it?

It is, but I like it.....as someone said on the youtube comments its like New Order 1983! Or Depeche Mode as the OP said....interesting to see will rest of album be all electroinic too...

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

I must give that track a listen, I hear their new sound will be something like the terminator theme, and according to Tom Smith, there are no guitars on the new record so it will be interesting to give the lead single a listen

going to see them in the olympia in October, should be good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I must give that track a listen, I hear their new sound will be something like the terminator theme, and according to Tom Smith, there are no guitars on the new record so it will be interesting to give the lead single a listen

going to see them in the olympia in October, should be good

Heading to that gig too, should be amazing.

There will be guitars on the album just not nearly as many as AEHAS. "The Big Exit", "Eat Raw Meat = Blood Drool" (which sounds incredible) and "Bricks and Mortar" can all be found on youtube from live performances that they done over the summer, these will all be on the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

I like Papillion, after giving it a few listens, but the standout track for me so far, having listened to a few new songs on youtube, would be Eat Raw Meat = Blood Drool

Really looking forward to hearing the new album and seeing them live in October :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Ugh. I find Tom Smith to be the worst, most annoying front man I've ever come across. His inane, but forcedly "meaningful" lyrics are generally terrible (If a plane were to fall from the sky How big a hole would it make In the surface of the earth = What??). Not to mention his over the top delivery. I'd try to avoid the Paul Banks comparison but it's just way too obvious...

That being said, the majority of their instrumentation is brilliant. Will have to reserve judgement on the new track as it's been taken off youtube, but I'm not holding my breath. Presumably it'll be played to death on Phantom, per usual. Thank God for USB on my car stereo.

pinksoir wrote: »
    Ugh. I find Tom Smith to be the worst, most annoying front man I've ever come across. His inane, but forcedly "meaningful" lyrics are generally terrible (If a plane were to fall from the sky How big a hole would it make In the surface of the earth = What??). Not to mention his over the top delivery. I'd try to avoid the Paul Banks comparison but it's just way too obvious...

That being said, the majority of their instrumentation is brilliant. Will have to reserve judgement on the new track as it's been taken off youtube, but I'm not holding my breath. Presumably it'll be played to death on Phantom, per usual. Thank God for USB on my car stereo.

Give me your favourite band and ill give you a lyric that might sound "terrible" to someone else. Why are his lyrics forcedly meaningful? He dosent say at the start of every song "make sure you cry at this now ok". His over the top delivery is what makes him IMO a fantastic front man.

Corholio wrote: »
    Give me your favourite band and ill give you a lyric that might sound "terrible" to someone else. Why are his lyrics forcedly meaningful? He dosent say at the start of every song "make sure you cry at this now ok". His over the top delivery is what makes him IMO a fantastic front man.

Different strokes.

His lyrics are forcedly meaningful in that he attempts to write lyrics with depth or some sort of mystery about them, but they always fall short and just sound like some leaving cert student's C grade attempt at creative writing. What's worse is that he puts so much effort into trying to emote their meaning. This is the forced part. He's there pulling faces, closing his eyes and trying to portray deep emotion when he's actually singing about something incredibly inane. It's like watching an angsty teenager sing about death and his failed relationships.

An End Has A Start?? Wow. Profound.

I just think the guy is a total phony.

• Advertisement

That being said, that Raw Meat song is pretty sweet, even himself. I dunno, I just find him irritating. But like I said before, the instrumentation is generally really good.

Different strokes.

His lyrics are forcedly meaningful in that he attempts to write lyrics with depth or some sort of mystery about them, but they always fall short and just sound like some leaving cert student's C grade attempt at creative writing. What's worse is that he puts so much effort into trying to emote their meaning. This is the forced part. He's there pulling faces, closing his eyes and trying to portray deep emotion when he's actually singing about something incredibly inane. It's like watching an angsty teenager sing about death and his failed relationships.

Fair enough, different strokes indeed.

He's always said he dosent write stories in his songs. Only a few songs he has said hold any personal representation (Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors and Well Worn Hand) I dont see whats wrong with putting emotion into a song though, its only inane to those who dont like them, and as you said, different strokes. I think the fact he dislikes writing stories in the songs add to the mystery of the songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Wow.
    That's very very different from AEHAS but in a good way.
    I like the new direction.
    Will have to see how the new album pans out but not bad so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shell022

I'm liking the sound.. Really looking forward to hearing the new album although i think its gonna have a different sound to the previous two.

so jealous of anyone going to see them, i didn't manage to get tickets this year.. :( enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Not to mention his over the top delivery. I'd try to avoid the Paul Banks comparison but it's just way too obvious...

I would have thought the Ian Curtis comparison would be more obvious. Then again I try not to listen to Interpol so you may be a better judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Bumpedy bump....official vid here
    Just makes you wanna sprint!! :D I am totally loving this track now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Really liking this song. I like Editors but not a huge fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dabbido

great track...love the editors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭ludwit

Different strokes.

Couldn't agree more, his lyrics really annoy me and I couldn't have explained it as well. Except for the phony part, I think he is genuinely doesn't realise how phony he comes across.

As for the song its crap. Sub Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

I wonder will this single and the preceeding album finally give the editors a big breakthough. Papillion is catchy 'kicks like a sleep twitch' uk top 10 single perhaps?

• Advertisement

Good first single, probably the poppiest thing on the album from the sounds of the rest. Hopefully "Eat Raw Meat=Blood Drool" will be the second single. Brilliant track.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Such a under rated band.He's a class voice..Liking the new single

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I wonder will this single and the preceeding album finally give the editors a big breakthough.

I would have thought they're big enough, aren't they?

They play the Olympia here and pretty big venues all over the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ouravit

They played Jools Holland last night. Very good. No guitars on the two tracks they played. Looking forward to the new album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNtcrzc6FZU

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Must be something wrong with me.:rolleyes:...to me the lyrics are not as important as the instrumentation , thats probably why i have such a varied taste in music...loved punk, all the electronic 80's stuff , metal,dub, etc...I'm not one of these people you see at gigs screaming out the words ...:p....imo its a wee bit naff..Was at Whelans in 2005 for their gig and it remains the second best gig i've been to..Clash in the Top Hat ,numero uno..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Paul Banks and Tom Smith are not similar in any way.

Album has been streamed on WE7.com since this morning. Havent been able to listen to it cos its for UK users only and cant find a proxy that works, it gets to the page but i cant play the audio files :(

Getting mostly good reviews on their forum tho. Was looking forward to hearing all of "The Boxer" too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Corholio wrote: »
    Was supposed to premiere on Zane Lowe's show next monday but Phantom FM played it a few mornings this week. Mr Lowe apparently not too happy about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0kWxMYhMcg

Personally I think its a cracking track. Very different sound from them but they pull it off brilliantly IMO. Very Depeche Mode, and no im not comparing bands, just the sound.

I like it.
    Had to laugh when i heard it first a few weeks ago on the Paul McLoon show after he goes "nice to hear they've cheered up then"
    (he doesn't seem to like them for some reason). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Ugh. I find Tom Smith to be the worst, most annoying front man I've ever come across. His inane, but forcedly "meaningful" lyrics are generally terrible (If a plane were to fall from the sky How big a hole would it make In the surface of the earth = What??). Not to mention his over the top delivery.

He's even worse than he used to be - saw them on Jools Holland & couldn't decide whether to pierce my eardrums or pull my eyes out first.

Thank god the missus had the good choice to switch channels before I inflicted self damage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

He's even worse than he used to be - saw them on Jools Holland & couldn't decide whether to pierce my eardrums or pull my eyes out first.

Thank god the missus had the good choice to switch channels before I inflicted self damage.

So your first options were to inflict serious damage on yourself rather than simply change the channel ? Are you sure that's your missus and not your carer :D

Advertisement