Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 New Season 2009/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Why should RTE get public funds when they private sponsorship. Ye know with digital boxes these days where you've got a million channels showing specific things it's hard for the "general" channels to stand out. TV3 have got a market slice and that's showing some rubbish UTV/ITV stuff and them daytime round table shows. They've done well though with Vincent Browne and I'd take a punt that the success of that show has had an impact on RTE. Q&A was finished and Pat Kenny's coming on with some kind of current affairs thing.

Maybe they would produce more "Irish" programmes if they did get some of that public purse. I don't know if they've given any indication that they'd like to produce some Irish programmes like RTE.

Any of the money that RTÉ earns goes back into producing programming, most of TV3's private profits are returned to shareholders.

The advertising revenue that RTÉ earn is still the publics money weather you or I like it or not and is push into producing Irish Television.

The presenter of QandA stepped down and RTÉ choose to axe the show after 20 years on the air, its a pity that other shows of the same vintage across all channels wouldn't take similar actions.

TV3 would like the BCI's fund to go directly into their Irish programming i.e. Ireland AM and the other similar shows that they produce each day, they have no interest in really clogging up their schedules with PBS television.

Even the types of cheap prime time docs are purely there to fill a void that TV3 kind of understand is apparent in their prime time schedule. Many of the shows will be produced by the same people that do their daytime shows, remember TV3 have cut wages, made people redundant while increasing their home produced schedule, this can't be good for the quality of such shows.

If TV3 had any sense they would have invested their Xpose, Midday and The Morning Show budgets into prime time television produced by Independent producers that would be innovative, instead they are paying lip service to home produced programming by filling their schedules with cheap American, British and Irish documentaries.

Again it is good to see TV3 pay this lip service to Irish Television but it is only lip service and really during a time of recession is hugely risky especially when the production staff will be hugely over worked.

So as I said TV3 are a commercial broadcaster they should use their very very lucrative position in the eyes of the Irish to produce quality television and to compete with RTÉ, instead of the last 11 years they have constantly looked towards their terrestrial status as away of making money and public funds should not be given to them. Unless the government plan to nationalize the station and then it just becomes an RTÉ type service. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Has TV3 got the capital to be able to take a risk in investing in public broadcasts to compete with RTE ?

Has TV3 got the capital to be able to take a risk in investing in public broadcasts to compete with RTE ?

You have to have a balance, I am not suggesting that TV3 completely go PSB. I am suggesting that TV3 commission quality Independent commercial products (i.e. Programming) to give an alternative to RTÉ.

PBS and Commercial TV channel both need balance, for PBS it can't be as narrow as pure PBS since you need to attract people to your channel and for Commercial TV channels it can't just be commercial rather they need to know how to throw out political/social/educational/hard hitting risky drama ever now and then.

You need balance to Entertain, Inform and Educate. And both PBSs and Commercial TV can do all three if they are innovative and creative.

One of the main reason you have seen standards drop in ITV is because of their lack of PSB.

What TV3 require is a variety of television products rather than the same content presented by different presenters.

TV3 have a turnover of nearly 60million, this will be reduce this year but they have increase their audience from last year and made significant staff reductions. And this comes when they are increasing their in house products, a estimated 200 people working on nearly 7 hours of TV per day, it doesn't look good for quality or variety. And don't forget they also spent 10million on 3e, it would have been better of spent on Independent Commissions.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Colum Kenny in the Sindo today saying TV3 has apparently given an undertaking to the BCI that Vincent Browne's programme will now be an "entertainment/lifestyle" one rather than "news/current affairs". Anyone who thinks Vincent Browne will come back with celeberties and gossip instead of politicans and economists is living in the clouds. He simply doesn't do that kind of programming (not that it is impossible to switch, as Pat Kenny did, but I don't think Browne can).

And if he did it would be a problem, as TV3's news coverage must be then seriously below their licence commitment (especially since TV3 already run at least four entertainment/lifestyle programmes every day - Ireland AM, The Morning Show, Midday, and Xposé). Effectively TV3 News will now effectively be News at 5:30 and the Ireland AM short bulettins. And nothing but a 5 minute bulettin on Saturday and Sunday.

TV3 having already taken the axe to their news programming, are now hacking it to shreds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Can the BCI do anything to them for breaching the licence conditions?

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Can the BCI do anything to them for breaching the licence conditions?

They came to an arrangement for Xposé I am sure they can come to some arrangement for Tonight with Vinny :)

They could have their news requirements through Ireland AM bulletins, News at 5:30 and their news bulletins at 10am, 11am, 9pm and 11pm and their new mid week show called midweek.

He also questions TLLS sponsorship, he must be reading this thread, but currently RTÉ aren't governed by the BCI, what is the situation with the BAI?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Could anyone tell me the name of the song on the TV3 ad, advertising their new line up of shows?

When does this "season" start ? I'd have assumed it was today.

When does this "season" start ? I'd have assumed it was today.

It seems to be next week, but you are right to "season" it. RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 will put their best output across Autumn and the Winter months. TV3's for example is starting slowly with next week seeing the beginning of both Tonight and Midweek followed the following week by The Apprentice and Deal or No Deal. Many of the US show won't be seen until late December and early January, unless they have been shown on US TV already or if they are trying to beat Sky One e.g. LOST(RTÉ) and Fringe(TV3).

Saw the promo spot for that Midweek thing. Can't really tell what it's actually supposed to be. TV3's website is pretty crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

BTW Pat Kenny's programme that will replace Q and A will have an audience and political guests. It will essentially retain the Q and A format.

So Alan Cantwell has been ditched from the Midday programme? About time, he seems to dominate the discussion and show off with his questions.

That Pat Kenny show is essentially to compete with the popularity of Vincent Browne's show is it not ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

That Pat Kenny show is essentially to compete with the popularity of Vincent Browne's show is it not ?

No it's designed to replace Questions and Answers on Monday nights after Bowman announced he was leaving the programme.

ateam wrote: »
    No it's designed to replace Questions and Answers on Monday nights after Bowman announced he was leaving the programme.

Yeah pretty much. I would agree with the idea that RTÉ plan to compete with Tonight with Vincent Brown if the changed the format of RTÉ News on TWO, to be more like "Newsnight". Since those programmes go out at the same time. TBH It would be great to see RTÉ provide a world news on TWO rather than a repeat of the 9 News with a different presenter. But since VB Tonight hasn't impacted on RTÉ TWO yet it seem unlikely that RTÉ would change that format which is unfortunate, RTÉ ONE's Frontline, Prime Time and The Week in Politics all go out at different times to TV3's Tonight Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Dman001 wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me the name of the song on the TV3 ad, advertising their new line up of shows?

Trying to find that out myself.. Anyone know?? I've a mate that works in TV3, I asked him about it n he had no idea what I was talking about..
    "What Autumn Season?"

Tonight with Vincent Browne starts Monday. There will remain a stub TV3 Nightly News bulettin but it'll only be 5 minutes long. I wonder how long they'll bother with the red set for before just having blue for all bulettins, though I suppose since its a virtual studio its not really costing them anything extra.

I wasn't talking about RTE competing with TV3/VB with regards to the scheduling. I'm talking about the audience. I think I read recently (in one of them articles about this new TV3 ad deal) that Browne's audience is around the 25-35 age bracket.

I wasn't talking about RTE competing with TV3/VB with regards to the scheduling. I'm talking about the audience. I think I read recently (in one of them articles about this new TV3 ad deal) that Browne's audience is around the 25-35 age bracket.

They also state that the majority of their audience is under 44 how big is their audience. If their audience for VB is at 200,000 and 60 per cent are under 44 that equals a total of 120,000 are under 44. RTÉ One might have a 30% under 44 for prime time giving them a total of 120,000 viewers under 44 if they get 400,000 viewers.

RTÉ One's audience is traditionally older while RTÉ Two's is traditionally younger. The same can be said of TV3, younger people are not as inclined to be as loyal to anyone channel.

Ciaran B wrote: »
    Is The Guards based on the Ken Bruen book? If so, colour me interested.

Edit. After a cursory Google it seems this has nothing to do with Ken Bruens book. It does look hilarious, though.

You will be glad to here that Magma Films are produce a series with RTL called Jack Taylor based on Ken Bruen's book The Guards. http://www.magmaworld.com/home.html
    http://www.iftn.ie/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4282464&tpl=archnewshome&force=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

ateam wrote: »
    So Alan Cantwell has been ditched from the Midday programme? About time, he seems to dominate the discussion and show off with his questions.

Midday seems to have become a direct competitor for Loose Women, despite Collette Fitzpatrick's protestations that it wouldn't. Sample topic from today "Have you ever had sex with your man just to get him to do a chore?". Oh and there's also a warning about adult themes at the start of the show.

Absolute drivel, but then no surprise from TV3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

How good are Colettes t*ts looking today??

Oh yeah!

icdg wrote: »
    Tonight with Vincent Browne starts Monday. There will remain a stub TV3 Nightly News bulettin but it'll only be 5 minutes long. I wonder how long they'll bother with the red set for before just having blue for all bulettins, though I suppose since its a virtual studio its not really costing them anything extra.

Well, as predicted, they've dumped the red set for Nightly News. The blue set was used last night, and (answering a question I've had since the current look debuted) the generic titles were used (so yes, they do exist!), so the programme was visually just "TV3 News" instead of "TV3 Nightly News". That they bothered with a headline sequence for a bulettin just five minutes long was wierd.

The news was seperated from VB by just a break bumper followed immediately by an ident. VB in a set not disimilar from the TV3 Nightly News set from last year (red and white) and immediately straight into the current affairs. How a programme dealing mainly with the Commission on Taxation Report and featuring a number of politicians can be classed as "entertainment" I don't know, but evidently the BCI are willing to let TV3 flout EU law on this one.

icdg wrote: »
    The news was seperated from VB by just a break bumper followed immediately by an ident. VB in a set not disimilar from the TV3 Nightly News set from last year (red and white) and immediately straight into the current affairs. How a programme dealing mainly with the Commission on Taxation Report and featuring a number of politicians can be classed as "entertainment" I don't know, but evidently the BCI are willing to let TV3 flout EU law on this one.

BCI could careless you know that. I like the way Vincent Browne introduced the show. "Welcome there are a few changes to the show this year we will start of with a panel discussion followed by the newspapers, on the panel Economist, Social Worker Priest, Politican and Labour spokes person and a Jornalist....." Something like that anyway.

So no change for last year at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Didn't watch the whole of the first episode, but it kinda went into the usual political stuff from 11-11.30, then the newspapers from 11/30-11.45, and this was when i switched off was when Vincent said we're going to be discussing Mr xxx's book after the break. So that's something that never happened before. But i do agree that's so similar to what Nightly News with Vincent Browne was.

Wonder what has happened to Midweek. Replaced last Wednesday - and looking up digiguide again this wednesday it has been replaced.

Also did anyone see Business Matters this morning at 12?
    Boring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

When is The Apprentice back on?

Monday 21st - on for an hour and 15 mins this time, and You're Fired on after it for 35mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

unklerosco wrote: »
    Trying to find that out myself.. Anyone know?? I've a mate that works in TV3, I asked him about it n he had no idea what I was talking about..
    "What Autumn Season?"

Glorious - Andreas Johnson... I think!

iseegirls wrote: »
    Monday 21st - on for an hour and 15 mins this time, and You're Fired on after it for 35mins

60 mins without ads, hopefully! might watch it online this year.

• Advertisement

Not hugely impressed with Browne's new show. The extra ad break and the **** bank ads are lousy. It's not that different from how it was before except for swapping guests and talking about the papers more and trying to include more sport and culture.

Advertisement