Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 New Season 2009/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    The word is that his show will be renamed "Tonight with Vincent Browne" (which was the name of his RTÉ Radio show and indeed his 98FM show before that) and reclassified from news to current affairs in order to get around this. Where that leaves TV3's news output (which will essentially be down to less than 3 hours a week) I don't know.

Personally I don't believe either news or current affairs should be sponsored. It leaves open too much of a possiblity of editorial interference.

And it is completely against EU law. Tonight with Vincent Browne isn't going to be about CA? In fairness TLLS on RTE shouldn't be sponsored either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

TV3's recently launched personal advice show ‘Midday’, which will adopt an all-female line-up with regular guests such as Amanda Brunker, Fiona Looney, Jules Fallon and Mary O'Rourke joining Colette Fitzpatrick.
    Because the original Loose Women isn't bad enough.
    the new ‘The Apprentice: You're Fired’ show hosted by Brendan O'Connor in front of a live audience.
    Kill me, kill me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

How about having "Celebrity Deal or No Deal" hosted by Brian Cowen & Brian Lenihan, with a developer or Bertie Ahern in the chair, trying to "beat the bankers" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Im trying to imagine all the possible levels that Deal or No Deal Ireland can possibly suck on... hold on its gona be a while :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

http://www.tv3.ie/article.php?article_id=19532
    TV3 Announces Autumn Schedule Dominated by New Irish Programmes

TV3 today launched its autumn 2009 schedule at the Royal College of Physicians in Dublin, completing a three-year plan to create a new roster of programmes for the channel.

The new schedule is dominated by Irish programming accounting for over a third of TV3's airtime with 1900 hours output over a twelve month period.

Standouts in the schedule include the second series of The Apprentice followed by the new The Apprentice: You're Fired show hosted by Brendan O'Connor in front of a live audience; The Forgotten Irish, a landmark two-part programme on Irish emigrants in London; Donal MacIntyre's new six-part TV3 series Ireland's Crime Capitals; a feature-length drama special, TV3's contemporary take on Oscar Wilde, Laura Windermere's Bag; the Irish Deal or No Deal in association with The National Lottery presented by magician Keith Barry; TV3's first two-part drama series The Guards; a weekly business show Business Matters fronted by Ivan Yates; a major prime time current affairs show Midweek hosted by Colette Fitzpatrick and the return of live UEFA Champions League with anchor Matt Cooper.

TV3's production unit, launched last year, will produce over 180 hours of peak time programmes, with new series including Nick's Restaurant (the opening of Nick Munier's Dublin venue), Healers (the world of alternative therapies), One Night in A&E, The Cosmetic Surgery Show and The Big Fat Diet Show; and the return of the award-winning Undercover Ireland series. It will also produce a range of one-off specials such as The Boyzone Story, The Westlife Story, Facing Death and Surviving the Recession.

To maintain TV3's ratings momentum, as the station gains share on all its rivals in 2009, a select number of the best acquisitions on Irish TV return: family shows such as The X-Factor, I'm a Celebrity and America's Got Talent; and the best UK and US dramas, The Tudors, Fringe, Coronation St., Emmerdale and All Saints. New acquisitions are led by the top shows from the 2009 LA Screenings; V (a remake of the classic series); Glee (part comedy, part drama, part musical) and the highly praised new US comedy Modern Family.

The schedule is anchored by TV3's daily studio output, the most on Irish TV. Ireland AM - the show twice voted Favourite Irish TV show by viewers - is ten years old; The Morning Show with Sybil & Martin, TV3's recently launched personal advice show; Midday which will adopt an all-female line-up with regular guests such as Amanda Brunker, Fiona Looney, Jules Fallon and Mary O'Rourke joining Colette Fitzpatrick; the News at 5.30 with anchor Alan Cantwell; Xposé (including new presenter Sean Munsanje) and Tonight with Vincent Browne.

Commenting today, David McRedmond CEO of TV3 said,

"We have stuck to our guns through the recession to deliver what we believe is the best schedule on Irish television. This is thanks to 200 of the hardest-working, most creative people in Irish media who, despite redundancies and pay-cuts, are delivering two channels and an online service, 1900 hours of Irish programmes and a growing share of the market. They have built a remarkable franchise of viewers and are delivering for the future with this totally modern slate of programming."

TV3's Director of Programming, Ben Frow said,

"We know what our viewers like - they like well made, intelligent programming - and this year we have produced a schedule that delivers this in abundance across all genres. We are taking risks with comedy, campaigning with our documentaries, experimenting with new ways to make drama and our entertainment shows are bigger than ever.

"It has been a fantastic year for TV3. I am proud and confident that this schedule signals a new standard for TV3 and reflects even greater things to come"

Only positive thing is The Apprentice and the extra "Your Fired!". The rest is the usual ITV Ireland ahem TV3 fare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

Is The Guards based on the Ken Bruen book? If so, colour me interested.

Edit. After a cursory Google it seems this has nothing to do with Ken Bruens book. It does look hilarious, though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Aww TV3 im glad i wont be around to watch your new season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Here's the weekday schedual. Saturdays are the same, just with a UTV reality tv show thrown in at 19:00

12:00 Xpose
    13:00 The Girls of Xpose
    14:00 Xpose News
    15:00 Xpose
    16:00 Xpose +1
    17:00 News - the one that we think you'll tune into cos it's ahead of the competition. Includes Xpose news from 17:15 to 18:00 and a weather man sending out happy birthday messages (that kids shows don't even do anymore) for another 10.
    18:00 Our serious news (featuring celebrity news from 6:30-7 - with the Xpose girls
    19:00 Crap UTV soap
    19:30 Crap UTV soap
    20:00 Crap UTV soap
    20:30 Crap UTV soap
    21:00 Reality TV show - You vote for who you want to be the new Xpose girl
    22:00 Xpose News
    23:00 Hard hitting TV3 documentary. Featuring Prostitution/Paedos/Drugs in Ireland/Soccer Hooligans/Catholic Church etc. This hard hitting documentary hits like a sledgehammer to the balls and face at the same time. Our reporters will ignore the detective sargent who says "it's not a big problem at all" and tell you that it's a "ticking time bomb" in reporting that makes The Sun look like a collection of Pulitzer Prize winning journalism.
    00:00 Xpose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Heard about the crime capitals. Didn't he do one on Dublin for one of the satellite channels and by all accounts it was full of inaccuracies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Aww TV3 im glad i wont be around to watch your new season.

Where are you going to? Chances are their television networks will be worse.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Where are you going to? Chances are their television networks will be worse.

The Land Down Under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The Land Down Under.

Hope you like ad breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

TV3 schedule threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

icdg wrote: »
    The word is that his show will be renamed "Tonight with Vincent Browne" (which was the name of his RTÉ Radio show and indeed his 98FM show before that) and reclassified from news to current affairs in order to get around this. Where that leaves TV3's news output (which will essentially be down to less than 3 hours a week) I don't know.

Personally I don't believe either news or current affairs should be sponsored. It leaves open too much of a possibility of editorial interference.

Well Browne's show was more than just a "news" show by the end of it. If there's editor interference then I can't see Browne sticking around. TV3 seem to have gone to great lengths to get Browne on telly again after his dodgy attempts with RTE in the past. On the last show he said when it returned it'd be in a "slightly different format". I wonder would they have a studio audience now that RTE's Q&A is gone ? Any word on what time Browne's show is on at actually ?

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Well Browne's show was more than just a "news" show by the end of it. If there's editor interference then I can't see Browne sticking around. TV3 seem to have gone to great lengths to get Browne on telly again after his dodgy attempts with RTE in the past. On the last show he said when it returned it'd be in a "slightly different format". I wonder would they have a studio audience now that RTE's Q&A is gone ? Any word on what time Browne's show is on at actually ?

Haven't heard anything so far. I find it unlikely that TV3 will do a studio audience type programme since they don't have a studio that could fit an audience, and a Venue wouldn't really suit a Q&A type show. Also Q&A would be classified as news as could the new business show. How can a Current Affairs programme be sponsored by a Bank? who's in that banks marketing department? Oh! wait the same people that brought us those "bankers" ads.

Vincent as mentioned before did work on 98fm for a number of years, Andrew Hanlon was their head of news back then, guess who's head of news with TV3 since 1998.

"Slightly Different Format" I wondered what happened to Lorraine Keane she will be Vincent's ace entertainment report? haha
    "editor interference" the rules on broadcasting are very strict on this so it won't just be VB not sticking around the sponsor may have to be dropped. Indeed product placement in film and TV may not effect the storyline or plot of the series, this raises questions about "The Apprentice"

But we will wait and see before jump to conclusions that could have boards.ie in hot water.

Spoiler can be deleted if moderators wish.

It's a weird one anyway. Will Browne be doing competitions a la Late Late Show ? "And our next prize is a trip to Scotland and is brought to you by our wonderful friends at Bank of Scotland Ireland"

tv3deal_indo_382823t.jpg

Browne's face is great. Looks like he's just been dragged out of bed after a binge on margaritas the night before. They might go for some kind of interactive thing in the new series anyway. Don't know how else they can change the show. Phone-ins maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    They might go for some kind of interactive thing in the new series anyway. Don't know how else they can change the show. Phone-ins maybe ?

Bet you five imaginary euros that it involves twitter.

Browne's twitter is fairly quiet - http://twitter.com/vincentbrowne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 smashingred

They have Matt Cooper anchoring the football-I think he's done a good job presenting their GAA matches.
    At least someone in TV3 has the good sense not to have Trrrrrevor Welsh presenting their Champions League Coverage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

the Champions League Studio looks a lot better than previous years aswell - judging from the two qualifiers already.

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »
    the Champions League Studio looks a lot better than previous years aswell - judging from the two qualifiers already.

I didn't see it but their RWC set was pretty impressive.

http://www.village.ie/
    Village - Politics, Media and Current Affairs

Village Online will soon be replaced by www.todaytonight.ie. TodayTonight.ie will broadcast each day the TV3 current affairs programme 'Tonight with Vincent Browne', along with a blog and comments.

TodayTonight.ie will also host archives of Nusight (1968-1970), Magill (1977-1998) and Village Magazine (2004-2008), available to subscribers.

TodayTonight.ie will also publish current affairs news and blogs.

Current editions of Village Magazine are published at the following website http://villagemagazine.wordpress.com/

Apologies for any inconvenience.
    Village Online Publishing
    webmaster@village.ie

Today Tonight was the old RTÉ current affairs program.

They seem to have a whole new set for Midweek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Does anyone think TV three would be a half decent station if they had a share of the license money.

Probably if the didn't have to resort to chav ITV imports to fill the schedules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Does anyone think TV three would be a half decent station if they had a share of the license money.

TV3 aren't on the breadline. They do actually make a fair bit of money. If they had some of the license money it would still be spent on ****e from ITV and bollocks like Expose

Why should they get public funds when they are a private company. Since 2001 they have been making profits. They just choose to keep their home produced schedule to cheap programmes bar the odd independent production i.e. The Apperentice. Of course many of their prime time documentries are produce with the aid of the licence fee e.g. Diary of..., Living with Murder and their 2 dramas School Run and Windermeres Bag. The Gaurds being their first whole funded drama production this year.

What TV3 need to do and what the BCI need to let them do is to let go of all Daytime productions and start using that money on quality Prime Time shows. Let them show Dr. Phil repeats during the day.

Let them show Dr. Phil repeats during the day.
    It would be an improvement over the current drivel they show.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    Why should they get public funds when they are a private company.

Why should RTE get public funds when they private sponsorship. Ye know with digital boxes these days where you've got a million channels showing specific things it's hard for the "general" channels to stand out. TV3 have got a market slice and that's showing some rubbish UTV/ITV stuff and them daytime round table shows. They've done well though with Vincent Browne and I'd take a punt that the success of that show has had an impact on RTE. Q&A was finished and Pat Kenny's coming on with some kind of current affairs thing.

Maybe they would produce more "Irish" programmes if they did get some of that public purse. I don't know if they've given any indication that they'd like to produce some Irish programmes like RTE.

Advertisement