Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To all ye fordiners ...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

El Siglo wrote: »
    Yeh but he's got that son Joe Joe, the quare hawk with hula hoop that lives in the attic.

Poor oul Joe Joe....from Waterford ya know. Sure the poor lad never had a chance. That hula hoop was the envy of the county for a long time though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Although finland did eventually surrender territory, it shouldnt be overlooked that a country of 4 million at the time was able to hold its own for 4 months against a superpower, respect!

Ah sure we managed to do the same ourselves!;) Of course not as cool as Finland, but hold our own no doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Mr.David wrote: »
    Poor oul Joe Joe....from Waterford ya know. Sure the poor lad never had a chance. That hula hoop was the envy of the county for a long time though!

Oh sure don't you know, mar a dhea like the fella, the gosoon, Jaysus lord a' mercy on him had to put up with a fair few baitens in his time for that hula hoop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

suomi wrote: »
    Yeah well someone already beat you to it so... :p Besides I'm going to Galway, not Dublin. And about the war, we're still patting ourselves in the back how great and awesome we were a hundred years ago, because that was the only thing ever happened to this country that we can actually be proud of. Well that and the Eurovision win in 2006. :D Go Lordi :cool:

Who said anything about Dublin? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

TheZohan wrote: »
    Who said anything about Dublin? ;)

I meant it for those who were talking about Dublin's...something. I swear, someone was talking about Dublin. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

suomi wrote: »
    I'm from Finland and I found boards by just googling Ireland. I've never been there, I have no family there, I don't even know anyone who has been there. And yet I'm pretty much obsessed with it. :p I'm coming to Ireland though in October. And if I had to judge the Irish people based on the boards, I'd say you are the funniest and wittiest people in the whole wide world. :)

Teigh ar ais go dti an Fhionlainn!

And we heartily welcome you to our country :D

Nnnoo even the google couldn't help me translating that :eek: Haha oh well thanks anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

+1 for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I came here to access the football forum (That's soccer to you lot from outside the Pale) but soone realised that football in this country only actually means four teams. There were five for a while, but when Keane got the sack the fifth team soon fell away in a kind of red and white stripey blur.

I hope to visit this place called "Ireland" one day, but someone told me you have to go north of the liffey to get there, so i will probably won't take the kids with me.

People keep telling me that Wicklah is nice and that I should visit Caaark but I can't find either place on a map, are they anywhere near caaaavan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

are they anywhere near caaaavan?

They aaaaaren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

if you go to a gay bar in ireland you can expect to get a pat on the back,anyway thats what i have been told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

getz wrote: »
    if you go to a gay bar in ireland you can expect to get a pat on the back,anyway thats what i have been told

*getz coat*

getz wrote: »

or a threesome with Michael Fitzpatrick and Patrick Fitzmichael.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

or a threesome with Michael Fitzpatrick and Patrick Fitzmichael.

or even Ben Dover, and Phil McAvity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

greenfly wrote: »
    and there is me trying to bendover backwards to be nice to everyone

greenfly wrote: »

Are they any relation to the lads from Glasgow, Ben Doon and Phil McCrackin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

I think my great great Grandfather ate a Potato... so ye, I'm Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

Are they any relation to the lads from Glasgow, Ben Doon and Phil McCrackin?

Or Eileen Dover and Ulick McGowel?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

pajero2005 wrote: »
    Huelic McGowel?

Ulick even. Good attempt at it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

prinz wrote: »
    Ulick even. Good attempt at it though.

I have no idea what you are talking about, crazy person....:eek::o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wow, talk about letting yourself in for a huge disappointment!

On a seperation subject i watched a documentry on the finnish/russian war the other day and have been researching it a bit since.
    I have to say respect to Finland.
    Anyone who's not familiar with it heres a few stats,

The Soviet forces had four times as many soldiers as the Finns, 30 times as many aircraft and 218 times as many tanks.
    Casulties - The official Soviet figure, issued just after the war, listed 48,745 dead and 150,863 wounded. However according to Nikita Khrushchev, 1.5 million men were sent to Finland and one million of them were killed, while 1,000 aircraft, 2,300 tanks and armored cars and an enormous amount of other war materials were lost. Finland's losses were limited to 25,904 dead or missing and 43,557 wounded.
    One Red Army General, looking at a map of the territory just conquered, is said to remarked: "We have won just about enough ground to bury our dead."

Although finland did eventually surrender territory, it shouldnt be overlooked that a country of 4 million at the time was able to hold its own for 4 months against a superpower, respect!
    Finland

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Mr.David wrote: »
    Sounds familiar.........

Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wow, talk about letting yourself in for a huge disappointment!

On a seperation subject i watched a documentry on the finnish/russian war the other day and have been researching it a bit since.
    I have to say respect to Finland.
    Anyone who's not familiar with it heres a few stats,

The Soviet forces had four times as many soldiers as the Finns, 30 times as many aircraft and 218 times as many tanks.
    Casulties - The official Soviet figure, issued just after the war, listed 48,745 dead and 150,863 wounded. However according to Nikita Khrushchev, 1.5 million men were sent to Finland and one million of them were killed, while 1,000 aircraft, 2,300 tanks and armored cars and an enormous amount of other war materials were lost. Finland's losses were limited to 25,904 dead or missing and 43,557 wounded.
    One Red Army General, looking at a map of the territory just conquered, is said to remarked: "We have won just about enough ground to bury our dead."

Oh ya could they drag that conflict out over 800 years and not only have the enemy like them at the end of it but for the enemy to think they're sound and have a witty, dark sense of humour.

I didn't think so, that's 1 for Ireland,

Ireland: 01

Finland: 48601 :(

ScumLord wrote: »
    Oh ya could they drag that conflict out over 800 years and not only have the enemy like them at the end of it but for the enemy to think their sound and have a witty and dark sense of humour.

I didn't think so, that's 1 for Ireland,

Ireland: 01

Finland: 48601 :(

Haha well they do say that the reason Finnish people feel attracted to Ireland is because our past is almost exactly alike, we got our independency almost the same year, in some ways Finnish and Irish people are alike... Oh and Ireland and Finland are probably the potato capitals of the world. :p So I'd say it's a tie. :pac:

Advertisement