Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To all ye fordiners ...

Options
  • 20-08-2009 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭

Using Boards a lot recently and I have noticed that a number of users hail from country's other than the Emerald Isle. I was wondering if any of you have no formal links with Ireland (i.e. haven't lived here, have no family here etc.)

I would be interested to know how you came across the site, what encouraged you to start (and continue) posting and what kind of impression the site has given you of the country and it's inhabitants,

Has it encouraged you to come and visit or do you think we should all be tied up and shot with balls of our own sh1te?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Long Onion wrote: »
    ...do you think we should all be tied up and shot with balls of our own sh1te?

Definately some! Yep.
    Next question...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Using Boards a lot recently and I have noticed that a number of users hail from country's other than the Emerald Isle. I was wondering if any of you have no formal links with Ireland (i.e. haven't lived here, have no family here etc.)

I would be interested to know how you came across the site, what encouraged you to start (and continue) posting and what kind of impression the site has given you of the country and it's inhabitants,

Has it encouraged you to come and visit or do you think we should all be tied up and shot with balls of our own sh1te?
    since my first holliday in ireland, i fell in love with the country and people,i have been to ireland before as a child in school for a couple of months in 1952. and as a merchant seaman docking in dublin in1960,and at that time i dident like it very much,i am of irish ancestry three generations back, but now i cannot get enough of it,and the three of us me, the wife ,and dog,stay over a month every year in south wicklow,with now my best friends all irish.i found this site when looking for irish news.items, and i love the meetings of minds of all the boardies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

You guys are IRISH?!!:eek:

Oh my God I love iiiirrrelaaandddd! My great great grandmother is like totally 1/512 Irish she came from Southern Ireland - Long Ford I think.

Thats so neat you guys!

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Mr.David wrote: »
    You guys are IRISH?!!:eek:

Oh my God I love iiiirrrelaaandddd! My great great grandmother is like totally 1/512 Irish she came from Southern Ireland - Long Ford I think.

Thats so neat you guys!

:P

Really? GTFO! You must know Paddy Murray so he's from Sligo!

Really? GTFO! You must know Paddy Murray so he's from Sligo!

Is that Paddy that makes the mints?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I've got loads of family in Ireland, but that's got nothing to do with me using boards.

I was trying to find some information on a poem I'd heard on the Dubliners Late Late Show, 'The Lament For Brendan Behan' and Google linked to here.

I stopped to have a look around, found After Hours, lurked for a few months and finally took the plunge to post.

Now, 4 months on, I've got over 1,300 posts and even less of a life than before :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Nah man, you're thinking of Ritchie;)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

I'm from Finland and I found boards by just googling Ireland. I've never been there, I have no family there, I don't even know anyone who has been there. And yet I'm pretty much obsessed with it. :p I'm coming to Ireland though in October. And if I had to judge the Irish people based on the boards, I'd say you are the funniest and wittiest people in the whole wide world. :)

Nah man, you're thinking of Ritchie;)

That's the cousin (the one we don't talk about). Paddy's the one with the bong eye and the limp!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Id say after hours effects tourism in ireland. They log on here and see were all crazy and decide im never setting foot here.

• Advertisement

That's the cousin (the one we don't talk about). Paddy's the one with the bong eye and the limp!

Does he still have the oul gimpy leprachaun?

Grand oul fella Paddy, some eye on him too.

suomi wrote: »
    I'm from Finland and I found boards by just googling Ireland. I've never been there, I have no family there, I don't even know anyone who has been there. And yet I'm pretty much obsessed with it. :p I'm coming to Ireland though in October. And if I had to judge the Irish people based on the boards, I'd say you are the funniest and wittiest people in the whole wide world. :)

I see a chead mila failte beers in the offing! :p *

*feel free to correct the spelling

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

And if I had to judge the Irish people based on the boards, I'd say you are the funniest and wittiest people in the whole wide world. :)

+1.
    After Hours is full of wit, if only everyday conversation could be like that :( .

With regards to making me visit, can't really say as we visit fairly often anyway. One thing's for sure, the second I turn 18 (or get a fake ID :P) I'm coming to a boards beers :cool:

Cead mile failte romhait

No! He had to release Bono back into the wild, something to do with the lawyers!

Cead mile failte romhait

If you're saying what I google thinks you said, no problem. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I was born in this small country called Waterford. I grew up watching Ireland on the TV. I quickly learned that Ireland had a second name, Dublin. Waterford was once apart of Ireland so it seems, but in the great ego fallout of 1990, Dublin rejected claims of anyone else on the Island as being Irish and labelled them as Boggers.

So now I live in the Independant Republic of Waterford, alongside our neighbours - The People's Republic of Cork (Great for trade and whores). We are doing well and are happy to see the back of Ireland (Or Dublin as it's now known). I do still visit Ireland occasionally for shopping, and to piss in the Liffey.

dlofnep wrote: »
    I was born in this small country called Waterford. I grew up watching Ireland on the TV. I quickly learned that Ireland had a second name, Dublin. Waterford was once apart of Ireland so it seems, but in the great ego fallout of 1990, Dublin rejected claims of anyone else on the Island as being Irish and labelled them as Boggers.

So now I live in the Independant Republic of Waterford, alongside our neighbours - The People's Republic of Cork (Great for trade and whores). We are doing well and are happy to see the back of Ireland (Or Dublin as it's now known). I do still visit Ireland occasionally for shopping, and to piss in the Liffey.

*Pats on head* There, there! Keep up with the councelling and you will eventually get over that inferiority complex! Maybe :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

But you still type with a Dublin accent - sellout!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

I see a chead mila failte beers in the offing! :p *

*feel free to correct the spelling

Cead mile sexytime!

• Advertisement

Can we please try and portray the country in a positive light for our prospective Finish tourist??

Lord knows the future of our economy could be resting on his visit.

Suomi - stay away from Waterford, its like Africa but less grateful :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Can we please try and portray the country in a positive light for our prospective Finish tourist??

Sorry, I'll avoid pissing in the Liffey the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭who what when

Wow, talk about letting yourself in for a huge disappointment!

On a seperation subject i watched a documentry on the finnish/russian war the other day and have been researching it a bit since.
    I have to say respect to Finland.
    Anyone who's not familiar with it heres a few stats,

The Soviet forces had four times as many soldiers as the Finns, 30 times as many aircraft and 218 times as many tanks.
    Casulties - The official Soviet figure, issued just after the war, listed 48,745 dead and 150,863 wounded. However according to Nikita Khrushchev, 1.5 million men were sent to Finland and one million of them were killed, while 1,000 aircraft, 2,300 tanks and armored cars and an enormous amount of other war materials were lost. Finland's losses were limited to 25,904 dead or missing and 43,557 wounded.
    One Red Army General, looking at a map of the territory just conquered, is said to remarked: "We have won just about enough ground to bury our dead."

Although finland did eventually surrender territory, it shouldnt be overlooked that a country of 4 million at the time was able to hold its own for 4 months against a superpower, respect!

that a country of 4 million at the time was able to hold its own for 4 months against a superpower, respect!

Sounds familiar.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Lord knows the future of our economy could be resting on his visit.

Suomi - stay away from Waterford, its like Africa but less grateful :p

Careful! Dublin might need us when it finally goes broke and has to come cap in hand with an application to join the Waterford Common Market and for a dig-out for Bertie.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

ART6 wrote: »
    Careful! Dublin might need us when it finally goes broke and has to come cap in hand with an application to join the Waterford Common Market and for a dig-out for Bertie.

They already do need us, they send all their gurriers down here for a break to Tramore to repair the place during the summer, be grateful Dublin, we take your trash, you'd be a filty stinkhole without us!...oh wait :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

You're right.

Hey Finnish girl, pics or GTFO!

ART6 wrote: »

All those thriving companies in Waterford. I mean Waterford crystal is a worldwide icon. Oh wait......its failed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Yeh but he's got that son Joe Joe, the quare hawk with hula hoop that lives in the attic.

• Advertisement

TheZohan wrote: »
    You're right.

Hey Finnish girl, pics or GTFO!

Yeah well someone already beat you to it so... :p Besides I'm going to Galway, not Dublin. And about the war, we're still patting ourselves in the back how great and awesome we were a hundred years ago, because that was the only thing ever happened to this country that we can actually be proud of. Well that and the Eurovision win in 2006. :D Go Lordi :cool:

Advertisement