Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did they get rid of the glass milk bottles that the milkman delivered?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

ejmaztec wrote: »
    This thread's so feckin old, that when I spotted a comment on the first page, I thought - "that's the kind of smart-arse comment that I would come out with"

You can guess the rest.:(

I think you did actually come out with that re-constituted smart arse comment!!

stevieob wrote: »
    I heard this on TV somewhere. Apparently it is some sort of law that they can't sell it through dairys, but you can sell it if you are a farmer.

Where the hell can us Dubs get some unhomogenised milk????

I'm not sure you can anymore. The only unhomogenised milk I knew of was Lullaby Milk from Ardrahan creamery in Kanturk, Co. Cork. Apparently it's homogenised now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jamesie_boy

And now to ride Mrs. O'Reilly!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

we have an italia 90 branded one somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

In Limerick criminals realized that a person wasint home when the milk bottles were left out and not used, so they started targeting these houses, I believe this has happened in other parts of the world as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

i remember them. My aunty still has hers but we werent smart enough to keep ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

ejmaztec wrote: »
    This thread's so feckin old, that when I spotted a comment on the first page, I thought - "that's the kind of smart-arse comment that I would come out with"

You can guess the rest.:(
    yeah, came across a funny post, thought 'i must thank that' but i couldnt, because i already had, only one to thank it too

My parents still have it, they also have a 1988 Dublin Millennium bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭IR

A company called Kelly's organic do pasteurised unhomogenised milk. They sell to some shops in Dublin as well as in Dublin co-op every Saturday. there are a couple of producers around Ireland doing this now and selling direct...
    http://www.kellysorganic.com/
    Its not in Glass though...

Also for the moment anyhow unpasteurised unhomogenised milk is also available, though the government is intending to ban this

IR wrote: »
    A company called Kelly's organic do pasteurised unhomogenised milk. They sell to some shops in Dublin as well as in Dublin co-op every Saturday. there are a couple of producers around Ireland doing this now and selling direct...
    http://www.kellysorganic.com/
    Its not in Glass though...

I just got some in The Hopsack in the Swan Centre, Rathmines. I'll check it out later. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

do you remember the sign you had to put in your window to tell the milkie how many pints you wanted?
    I remember because of Chenobyl they gave us cartons of milk in school instead of the bottles because it was safer or something

Karsini wrote: »
    I just got some in The Hopsack in the Swan Centre, Rathmines. I'll check it out later. :)

well what was it like??

I'm off now to try and get me some :) - - update, tried Lillyput stores in Arbour hill on way home but they had none

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Skerries wrote: »
    do you remember the sign you had to put in your window to tell the milkie how many pints you wanted?
    I remember because of Chenobyl they gave us cartons of milk in school instead of the bottles because it was safer or something

I think you're off on a red herring about Chernobyl and cartons. When I was a kid you put out the number of clean empties and got back the equivalent number of full bottles.

I think you're off on a red herring about Chernobyl and cartons. When I was a kid you put out the number of clean empties and got back the equivalent number of full bottles.

I remember two ways to order. A plastic card a bit smaller than A4 in the window with a kind of clock thing on it, just point to the number you wanted and hey presto.

Otherwise, if it was broken or you wanted something extra like cream or eggs, you could stick a note in one of the empties you put out

well what was it like??

I'm off now to try and get me some :)

It's like drinking cream! ;) Very creamy but quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭vixdname

No it's called pasteurisation....:cool:

WRONG...The milk in bottles was also pasteurised to kill bacteria, the cartoned milk was "Homogenised"- The process where the cream is dispersed evenly throughout the milk and not just left float to the top like it did in the old glass bottles. :cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Excuse me, all milk goes past-your-eyes before you drink it.......:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭vixdname

Hahaha !!! Very Good !!!! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

quoted for evidence

Does the cream float at the top?

• Advertisement

Saila wrote: »
    quoted for evidence
    Perv! :p
    Does the cream float at the top?
    See for yourself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Reminds me of these lyrics from Ernie by Bennie Hill. :D

They called him Ernie, (Ernieeeeeeeeeee)
    And he drove the fastest milk cart in the west.

She said she'd like to bathe in milk, he said, "All right, sweetheart,"
    And when he'd finished work one night he loaded up his cart.
    He said, "D'you want it pasturize? 'Cause pasturize is best,"
    She says, "Ernie, I'll be happy if it comes up to my chest."

If I was to tell you what that looks like I'd probably get banned from here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Which reminds me! How many delivery vans [today] will follow you up the road as you do your rounds? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

swingking wrote: »
    Does anyone know why they got rid of the glass milk bottles that came to your door everyday?

Because you touch yourself at night..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W23LKD9Z1hw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Amberjack wrote: »
    I remember in nursery school (laye 70's) we used to collect the foil tops and they were sent off to orphanages in Africa or other 3rd world places. Anyone else do this?

why????

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

flanum wrote: »
    why????

Just to rub in the fact that we had food and they didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

lcrcboy wrote: »
    In Limerick criminals realized that a person wasint home when the milk bottles were left out and not used, so they started targeting these houses.

1) Buy double barreled shotgun (get free house in Limerick ?)
    2) Leave milk bottles on doorstep and hide behind sofa
    3) ?
    4) PROFIT!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I get mine delivered in a glass bottle 3 times a week it's awesome..

Best reason to move to London if ya ask me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

genericguy wrote: »
    fcuked if i know cos i'm only a yunfla, but these days the milkman would probably be getting stabbed with the bottles for his money.

Not a grammar nazi here, love the way you pronounce young fellah, immediately I thought, Donegal accent, are you from Donegal?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement