Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it safe to use an aeg in the rain?

Options
  • 18-08-2009 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hey all,

It probably sounds like a stupid question, but is it safe to use an aeg in the rain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

yes, just make shore you wipe it down and dry it out after, rush is not a good thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭TunnelWeb

Puding wrote: »
    yes, just make shore you wipe it down and dry it out after, rush is not a good thing

Thanks.Would ya have to take it apart to dry it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

TunnelWeb wrote: »
    Thanks.Would ya have to take it apart to dry it out?
    no just dry it on the outside with a towel,
    why would you want to use it in the rain ?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭desertstorm

we live in Ireland, do you take an umbrella out to a skirmish bluestripe?

anyway... I've been to loads of skirmishes now where it's been lashing and havn't encountered any problems with rain, although you have to watch for rust if you have any steel/iron on the aeg's body

Didn't one guy fall in to the lake at the Take Aim Cup in rathbeggan with his gun and play on?....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

chairsofters :rolleyes: :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

erm, because some of us arent sissies!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Because it's Ireland we've no choice.
    Because airsoft is awesome in all weather.
    And because its fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭markY6222

Firekitten wrote: »
    erm, because some of us arent sissies!:D

Hahah lol! Good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭markY6222

Ya i always use my ump "N" Saw in the
    Rain all good After:D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My mate Dan was in the trees with Richie before in a complete downpour(Some of us fecked off to the office:p). It was really coming down, we barely got back out with the flooding, the M50 was a mess. Danny P90 though, no problems, he just threw it in his kit bag and left it out to dry 3 hours later when we finally got back:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Lordhogo

As some said watch out for rust of couse because I have left my airsoft out in the rain sometimes for a minute or two when im plinking out in the garden and metal parts rust very quickly.

You seen real assault rifles? :P some rust is usual after a while... even when you clean it off... it happens. Anyway, rust is a sign of how hardcore you are... means you are an allweathersofter...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Lordhogo

You seen real assault rifles? :P some rust is usual after a while... even when you clean it off... it happens. Anyway, rust is a sign of how hardcore you are... means you are an allweathersofter...:rolleyes:

Yeah so the next time it rains get all your airsoft equipment and put it out in the rain until it rusts so the next time you skirmish you can show your buddies just how hardcore you are.

DISCLAIMER: Its not actually a good idea to do that.:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

ive used a gun that was completely submerged in a river and still worked. theres not a whole lot rain or fresh water can do to the gun other than rust since water isnt nearly as conductive as its thought. you have to add stuff to it, like salt to make it more conductive.

your hopup wont work when you come up out of the water though, no friction means the bbs will just fall very sharply.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

You seen real assault rifles? :P some rust is usual after a while... even when you clean it off... it happens.I:

I don't think so,,,,,,,,,,, your rifle and your feet under no circumstances get neglected!!!!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

You'd think wrong then. Basic metallurgical science and some "common" sense say otherwise. It not being neglected doesn't mean rust can't develop, especially in real assault rifles which go through heck and back in even training sessions, let alone actual wartime use. Rust prevails in such items eventually by using stress fractures from the operation of the item as starting points. Capillary action hold some water in place there (or worse still, a chemical), and the already weakened and exposed surface is set upon by oxidisation. This is also why rust develops faster around the likes of bolt heads and body joints.
    From this point it's just a matter of determining the type of corrosion and trying to control or repair it, because you can't repair it and won't stop it. No amount of regular and professional maintenance can completey prevent even one spot of rust occuring occuring, but one spot is all that's needed to anchor in a patch of it growing. Rust is the biggest worry anyone dealing with exposed metals has because it's so tenacious.
    Plus, it's possible for metal to develop rust in storage. Even in rooms and buildings that seem perfectly dry and comfortable, there can exist the right conditions for rust to take hold.

Incidentally, a hint especially for anyone storing their gear in a box/press/bag/case. You can pick up crystalline dehumidifiers relatively cheap now and it'll make a useful addition to any solid storage to inhibit rust development. If you use a bag or case, silica packs are also available (and are free with any electronics you buy). Throwing a few into your gear bags will inhibit rust on your rifles and mould on your webbing (not a replacement for drying you gear off. Sounds obvious but I've seen it).

Lordhogo wrote: »
    Yeah so the next time it rains get all your airsoft equipment and put it out in the rain until it rusts so the next time you skirmish you can show your buddies just how hardcore you are.

DISCLAIMER: Its not actually a good idea to do that.:o
    yep, although id love to see a rusty weesatch... those you have to specially roll in the dirt like your combats to make it look like you worked harder :rolleyes:
    thermo wrote: »
    I don't think so,,,,,,,,,,, your rifle and your feet under no circumstances get neglected!!!!
    :rolleyes:
    Kid, you've clearly never been inside an armoury.

Like Masada, I've kittypaddled accross a river before getting out and shooting people with that gun that wont work (the thinking at the time). It was that or use a very narrow foot bridge with a m60 pointed at it... whats that phrase? Necessity is the mother of all stupid ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

Remember kids, real war doesn't stop for bad weather. Besides it can be a lot more fun and tense in the rain. its not that much hassle to simply wipe the thing down when ya get home, sure if you're looking after them properly you should be checking to get heavy dirt off them anyway. They dont need to same amount of care as RS, but just give em a look and a wipe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Craigsy wrote: »
    Remember kids, real war doesn't stop for bad weather. Besides it can be a lot more fun and tense in the rain.

QFT. Personally I think that Sennybridge (to use an example some are familiar with) is at its best when the weather is absolutely rotten - We're talking neoprene wetsuits and canoes instead of Gortex boots here :p - as the bad weather makes everything feel that much 'closed in'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

Lemming wrote: »
    QFT. Personally I think that Sennybridge (to use an example some are familiar with) is at its best when the weather is absolutely rotten - We're talking neoprene wetsuits and canoes instead of Gortex boots here :p - as the bad weather makes everything feel that much 'closed in'

exactly, changes the environment, new sounds and all that. Makes it a bit more closer to real life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Toasty113

I <3 bad weather airsoft. Better than boiling in you own skin.

Kid, you've clearly never been inside an armoury.

maybe thats how YOU keep your rilfe, rusty,,,,,,,,,,, amuture!
    i have never allowed a rifle (my own or issued) get rusty, a good clean and heavy oil before storage, upon being issued, a clean and light oil ready for use!

as for those who allow their weapons rust 2 words,,,,, GUN OIL!

i have never allowed a rifle (my own or issued) get rusty, a good clean and heavy oil before storage, upon being issued, a clean and light oil ready for use!

I think you'll find that FK was most likely alluding to the fact that issued arms get battered to _f*ck_ by squaddies and generally given absolute dogs abuse.

And no matter how hard you try to maintain a rifle, it will eventually start to show wear and tear. That is fact thermo. You can slow things down, but you will never halt it.

I'd also ask where your level of vitriol towards FK comes from with your calls of "ammature."

wear and tear is fair enough but rust is neglect,,,,,,

wear and tear is fair enough but rust is neglect,,,,,,

As others have also pointed out; rust constitutes part of "wear and tear". All arms will eventually rust. All it takes is a spec to appear and take root. All the oiling in the world wont halt that. So that means that I can throw the "neglect" word right back at you by your own logic since you clearly can't eradicate it thermo. Unless you have some way of defying reality?

rifles if looked after properly dont just rust for example, my father bought a rifle, a s.m.l.e. it came out of the factory in 1943 after it was test fired it was cleaned, greased despite being 66 years old and having spent most of its life in an armoury it was not rusted its in pristine condition, so a good oiling or greasing prior to prolonged storage will ensure it comes off the rack the same way it goes on.

rifles if looked after properly dont just rust for example, my father bought a rifle, a s.m.l.e. it came out of the factory in 1943 after it was test fired it was cleaned, greased despite being 66 years old and having spent most of its life in an armoury it was not rusted its in pristine condition, so a good oiling or greasing prior to prolonged storage will ensure it comes off the rack the same way it goes on.

You are also making assumption that the rifle is used in fairly pristine conditions. Hand a rifle to a squadie and send him out on exercise for a few days in truly miserable, sh*tty weather. Then take the rifle back. No matter how clean you get it, there well may be the start of rust somewhere due to wear and tear on parts.

Thermo, I'm tired of repeating myself to you so I'll simply stop at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

We will have less of the name calling and condescending remarks thanks.

Next time your finished cleaning a Steyr come find me and I will will show you dirt and rust on it, trust me.

This is the Airsoft forum. Airsoft guns are toys that don't get issued and It doesn't matter a tap if they are rusty, manky and abused if thats what you want to do with your toys its your right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

If it's raining and I want to go to a skirmish, I'm going to a skirmish, its only rain...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement