Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did you settle into the ol' routine?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I've never met a girl that doesn't want kids
    I don't. Bleugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

There's a voice that keeps on calling me,
    Down the road, that's where I'll always be.
    Every stop I make, I make a new friend,
    Can't stay for long, just turn around and I'm gone again.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down,
    Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I was a free spirit up until my late twenties, well educated plenty of dosh,but believe me early thirties different story.

It's gradual, up in the morning ,good brekkie, up to the dunny and squat there reading the IT, back out a copper coloured daschund and check the pie crust , good ,good ,wipe and go.

Then off to work and home again..jaysus the only bit of excitement is when you coat the pan in warm gravy after a feed of curry and Guinness.

grows on you so it does.

Never let it get to you though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

I decided to dig this one up for kicks.

It was the overtime thread .... made me sad! I remembered the boom times when we all earned assloads of money and the idea of the routine and middle age was so far away we couldn't even see it on the horizon.

Anyone else sadly settling into a routine of quick dinners at home rather than going to eat after work and then caning it till 3am heading into work still a little drunk but it never mattered because we were on the cusp of a booming economy ... Fcuk me I'm depressed now :(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Married at twenty six. Probably only settled into routine around 31 / 32. Bored off my head with life. Wish i had studied harder when doing the leaving cert! Sorry to be so depressing about it...!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,770 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Married at twenty six. Probably only settled into routine around 31 / 32. Bored off my head with life. Wish i had studied harder when doing the leaving cert! Sorry to be so depressing about it...!!

The sad thing is though (and I don't mean specifically you but you struck a chord) that there are probably a lot of people like this who "settled down" young in the good times and bought a house, started a family etc because it was the done thing.

Now, 10 years on, they wake up and find that they're very different people than they were back then. At worst this ends in divorce but more commonly I'd imagine it becomes "settling" with your lot while regretting your choices and wishing you'd spent more time learning about yourself than doing what was expected of them/everyone else was doing

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fartman

my mammy always told me to settle down early and have your kids etc, by the time they are adults you would be still young to enjoy life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

You don't know you've settled until you look back and realise nothing much has changed for the last few years. You can't anticipate it. Most of the time you don't realise you've settled down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Jesus I'm only after getting out of the routine this week, never going back into it, not til the dollars run out anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Had a child and settled down very young. Didn't buy, just rented thank god.

After years of being a stay at home mother with just a part time job, in the same daily routine and pretty unhappy, the relationship ended.

Soon afterwards I got a job I've always wanted, started making some of the best friends I've ever had, doing new things and now I'm loving life!

• Advertisement
Advertisement