Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did you settle into the ol' routine?

Options
  • 18-08-2009 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

So the birthday is arriving around again and this Friday I find myself hitting 28 and it's got me thinking a bit.....

I am currently in the process of moving home from abroad and considering travelling again for a few months before trying to find work again. The last few years have been really up and down with lots of changes. Finished a long term relationship, moved country, travelled for a yr etc.

So my question is this.. What age we're you when you settled down, focused on the career, bought a house and put down the roots? Is it mad to be thinking about the above or should people continue living day to day.... for a while longer!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Like a good pint you can't hurry the settling.
    I was late 30's before I realised that I had turned into my Dad.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

I bought my house at age 34.

Guess that's when I started gettin' serious about the whole settling down thang.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I'm 25 (almost 26) and feel I'm starting to get into it! Not a chance of buying a house though...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i was 29 the other day, have a steady job, have travelled for years in my 20s, but i still have no desire to be boring like most of my friends nowadays. Their life entails staying in at the weekends with their other halves, and if they try to go out for a drink or visit me at my place they get harassed all night with texts/phone calls and eventually have to leave early.
    It's stuff like this that makes me praise the lord i'm single. I mean why does the opressed relationship life appeal to people so much? You can still get laid fairly regularly when you're single if you play your cards right?
    Maybe some day i'll want to settle down but it's really unappealing now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Few years ago (early 30s).

Don't think it's about age, it's more a combination of circumstances and what you want.

And the idea that being in a long-term relationship/settling down together = no fun, social life, and being nagged is more to do with a shit relationship than the settling-down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Since me and herself moved in together, about 4 years ago. I'm 26 now (almost) and she's 24.

Although I'm not buying a house, don't see the point in getting immediately into big debt like that.

Didn't plan a lot of it, it just seemlessly blended into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Oh God not for a good few years yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    i was 29 the other day, have a steady job, have travelled for years in my 20s, but i still have no desire to be boring like most of my friends nowadays. Their life entails staying in at the weekends with their other halves, and if they try to go out for a drink or visit me at my place they get harassed all night with texts/phone calls and eventually have to leave early.
    It's stuff like this that makes me praise the lord i'm single. I mean why does the opressed relationship life appeal to people so much? You can still get laid fairly regularly when you're single if you play your cards right?
    Maybe some day i'll want to settle down but it's really unappealing now.
    If you settle down with the right person that won't happen. People who end up with people like that have settled, not settled down. One does not equals the other.

Quazzie wrote: »
    If you settle down with the right person that won't happen. People who end up with people like that have settled, not settled down. One does not equals the other.

from what i can see they're just going to be nagged and dominated for the rest of their lives, puts me off it totally. Anyway I never want kids so i can't settle down really unless I meet a woman who can't give birth?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

from what i can see they're just going to be nagged and dominated for the rest of their lives, puts me off it totally. Anyway I never want kids so i can't settle down really unless I meet a woman who can't give birth?

ehh, sorry but not every woman wants kids. The same goes for nagging and dominating. Perhaps if you find yourself nagged and dominated constantly the common denominator is you. :rolleyes:

yeahimhere wrote: »
    ehh, sorry but not every woman wants kids. The same goes for nagging and dominating. Perhaps if you find yourself nagged and dominated constantly the common denominator is you. :rolleyes:

I've never met a girl that doesn't want kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

You will, they're out there.

TheZohan wrote: »
    You will, they're out there.

but dont they start freaking out for them in their 30s? i thought it was part of their genetic makeup to want them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I have fallen into a settled life without even realising it. I never planned it but slowly over the last couple of years I have started to go out less and have cut back on the drinking after work. Now a typical day is to go to the gym after work, go home and have dinner and then veg on the sofa for the night. I go out prob once a fortnight. 3 years ago I was out every Thurs, Fri, Sat

I think a lot of it though has to do with friends getting married and having kids etc. You dont have the same opporutinities to go out every weekend with your mates as they are at home with the OH and their kids so unless you actively go out and get new friends you are left with the option of going out on your own or just sitting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

but dont they start freaking out for them in their 30s? i thought it was part of their genetic makeup to want them?

Girls that really want kids can get very broody at that age, but you'll find plenty that have no desire to have children or can't have children.

The only reason you don't see men freaking out about having kids at that age is because we can father children much older.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Married at 21, first house at 22, own company at 24. Got rid of the lot and moved country with the wife at 27, had our first child at 30.

However, we're still living day to day :D

To hell with the rat race!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭nerophis

It's like boiling a frog- turn the heat up slowly and noboby notices- some frogs last longer than others

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

I felt this time last year that I was beginning to settledown, Had a steady job and everyday routine but then lost that job in February and got a new one that needs me to travel all around the world to work with different clients and now feel like I'm a million miles away from settling... My life is all over the place now and I would love some normality again. But as for buying a house ansd getting married its all ahead of me and a long way off imo. I'm only 26 so a while to go yet I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

That may be the case but trust me there are women who dont ever want to have kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Get off the grid now while you still can OP. Once you hit 30 they chip you and you can never get away.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The moment my first child was born everything changed in the split second
    and for the better

from what i can see they're just going to be nagged and dominated for the rest of their lives, puts me off it totally.

That means:

a) your mates married nags

b) your mates behave in a way that warrants nagging

c) all of the above

stovelid wrote: »
    That means:

a) your mates married nags

b) your mates behave in a way that warrants nagging

c) all of the above

Well there are so many i really think some blokes thrive on nagging girlfriends. It gives them an excuse to stay in all the time, never try new things, never meet new people etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭GeorgeCostanza

By the sounds of things, you haven't met a lot of girls dude...

It gives them an excuse to stay in all the time,

If they want an excuse, then it's what they want obviously. They don't exist solely as a social outlet for you.

People tend to blame the wife/partner when the lad is happy to kick back too.

You do ease off as you get older.

I love going out still but it's usually every second weekend and as I advance in work, I only really go out Friday or Saturday these days. Not every weekend either; usually twice a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Have found myself going out less and less since I got into a serious relationship recently, but definitely don't feel tied down in the least.
    I know that she would have absolutely no problem with me going out and getting mashed whenever I felt like it, but I'd rather spend a night in front of the boob tube with a couple of bottles of wine tbh...

And fortunately for me she's one of the ones (a supposedly rare breed according to this thread:p) who doesn't want kids any time soon, so this is as settled as I'll ever have to get.

Please don't say anything like that, in or around the ladies lounge. Please.

~Dons riot gear just in case~

By the sounds of things, you haven't met a lot of girls dude...

dude?
    anyway, why do you think this? would you not agree that the vast, vast majority of girls want kids some day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭GeorgeCostanza

anyway, why do you think this? would you not agree that the vast, vast majority of girls want kids some day?

Yeah, I'd say the majority of women want kids some day, but I think only someone with limited experience of the opposite sex would make a statement like this:

I think you might be missing the point, dude. For your mates, as for a lot of people, it's not just about getting laid...

Advertisement