Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gypsy Beggars

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Are you telling us we are not allowed to express an opinion about people who are ruining our country and abusing our welfare system? So you are saying that you are protecting the rights of a group of crimninals to exploit children?
    That's not what he said or implied at all. Opinion is one thing, posts like the couple that were infracted are something else :
    these pr1cks park their van down at the bateman quay [...] while some fat fckin roma gypsy watches over them all day [...] get the f'ck out of this country.
    upthedub wrote: »
    These beggars are s*um thats all:D

Keep it constructive and there's usually not a problem with expressing any sort of opinion, in my experience.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Our country is going down the swanny and always someone to champion the cause of the people who are riding us bareback! Are you telling us we are not allowed to express an opinion about people who are ruining our country and abusing our welfare system? So you are saying that you are protecting the rights of a group of crimninals to exploit children?

You need to open your eyes! This forum may not be a democracy but last time I checked Ireland was!

BUZZ! Wrong choice.

Take a few days away for ignoring my request.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Was that really necessary?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Was that really necessary?

Yes. Refer to my earlier post.

Is there a topic here or shall I just close it? Or keep issuing bans to people who drag it off topic, either way is fine by me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

The only way to rid the city of these people is not to give them anything, unfortunately you'll always find some soft touch who will find a few euro in his/her pocket for them.

I suppose if it provides peace of mind for them that they have done a good deed, it's not all bad. Despite the fact most of these begging 'people' are dodgy characters to put it nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Sort of has me feeling sorry for those that are genuinely down on their luck and out on the streets.

Maybe the upshot is that I'm now considering giving to an organisation like the Simon Community, and shunning the street begging 'professionals'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

The only way to rid the city of these people is not to give them anything, unfortunately you'll always find some soft touch who will find a few euro in his/her pocket for them.

Agreed. The best way to get rid of them is to ignore them. When they realize they can't make money in Kilkenny they'll go somewhere else. The irony is those Professional beggars are more than likely better off than the people they are scamming.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,206 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Give her a photo of some money.
    Better yet; give her a good colour laser copy of some money and when the bxtd in charge tries to spend it he'll get his collar felt with any luck. Evil, moi?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

The police were looking for them selling stuff tonight

Probably because a car window was smashed last night in the front MacDonagh Junction Parking Lot.

• Advertisement

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Probably because a car window was smashed last night in the front MacDonagh Junction Parking Lot.
    Nope they were undercover walking around looking for them selling the roses and hats

Nope they were undercover walking around looking for them selling the roses and hats

Thanks for clarifying that for me Ray. There was a Gardai searching the cemetary where I live last night as well. Probably unrelated but who knows anymore.

We get that a lot down here alright, but they usually are in full uniform when approaching and just notice them from their cars etc. They only move up the road and not fully away anyway.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying that for me Ray. There was a Gardai searching the cemetary where I live last night as well. Probably unrelated but who knows anymore.
    Yeah one of the guys in our club was one of the guys undercover thats how I know ;)
    Sully wrote: »
    We get that a lot down here alright, but they usually are in full uniform when approaching and just notice them from their cars etc. They only move up the road and not fully away anyway.
    They do that hear and take whatever it is they are selling, but recenly they've taken to hiding the stuff under baggy clothes once they see any uniform before the police see them, but once they go undercover they can see them without them hiding the stuff

Yeah one of the guys in our club was one of the guys undercover thats how I know ;)

Thanks again Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kizzabel

what sickens me is when they use their children to draw pity.

and why do they always target carpark pay stations? dunnes, superquinn and the mult storey on pudding lane?
    if i give them my last €2, how do i get the car out?! :confused::confused:
    hello, recession?? that and the fact i dont believe that they genuinely need my help, they have mouths full of gold teeth, if times are that tough theres a pawn shop up John st.

i was in manchester recently and there were alot of homeless people in the city centre, some begging, some just kipping down for the night,
    we passed a woman begging while on our way to the banklink and said we were sorry we had no money.
    she then thanked us for acknowledging her.
    *pulled at heart sstrings*
    she didnt choose to be homeless, we did go back to give her money and food but she was gone. a just cause, unlike the gypsys

• Registered Users Posts: 39,206 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

she didnt choose to be homeless, we did go back to give her money and food but she was gone. a just cause, unlike the gypsys

If I may throw a comment in.
    It's unfair to categorise all Gypsies as like this lot. I've known a few who simply wouldn't do this kind of thing; this lot in the city (indeed, in many cities in Ireland) are simply chancers who are not representative of the majority of Romany people I've met.
    Professional beggars are a pain in the fundament and should be dealt with using existing laws regarding vagrancy, for all they do is rob the goodwill and money that people would be prepared to give genuine hard luck cases.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Much, much better to contribute to The Simon Community or St Vincent de Paul, as these agencies know who the real needy are. Of course it's difficult to walk past some woman clutching a child and looking pathetic, but unfortunately you must harden your heart these days - too many 'scammers' out there in all walks of life - and anyway charity should begin at home.

Advertisement