Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science in UCD 385

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Yeah id agree with the minister. This course has far too high a drop out rate. If your coming into it with 300 points, or if your in two minds about the course, you really have all the odds stacked against you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Razthor

I got 365 mate and applied but I highly doubt I'm going to get it. Just my look that all sciences would increase the year I'm going for it. Missed computer science by 5 points aswell :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

tribulus wrote: »
    Speaking as a graduate of that very course, I would tend to agree with The_Minister.

From my own experience/empirical evidence, there were a lot of people who got in with lower scores (I think it was 325 in 2004) who struggled even in first year, when things are very general and students are mollycoddled.
    Once again I think people are putting too much stock in leaving cert results.

I suspect the drop out rate will be just as bad this year as other years. I'd be willing to bet a good chunk of people who went for science this year, are only doing so because they've been hearing for months that science will have a lot of job opportunities. They might have no real interest or aptitude for science.

And then of course you never know how many for these students with 400 points have been getting loads of grinds and being spoon fed the course. How well are they going to cope on a tough course with no one holding their hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 marshal777

I got 355 and I was wondering is there any chance that the points will drop that much in the second round?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Dont mean to be harsh but i doubt it. Try go for rechecks and see can you get moved up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

'twas a hard increase indeed. Science in UCD was the only course I really wanted to do. I wasn't too far off the mark with 370 but I think I've gotten over it now. I might just wait for second round offers, repeat, or just reapply again next year. Who knows, maybe repeating will do me some good.

The alternative options are huge really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

May I ask, what attracted you guys to science in UCD over other university science courses?
    Also, when I received my course offers (a few years ago!), I didn't get my first choice -but I am glad I got my 3rd choice. I really enjoyed my course and it probably suited me better than my other choices!! All, is not lost if you didin't get your first choice.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

Staph wrote: »
    May I ask, what attracted you guys to science in UCD over other university science courses?
    Well the course is very broad, lots of different subjects to choose, it's a great university and travel wise it's handy; every bus and train station leads to Dublin where as other places it would be awkward to get up and down every weekend.

UCD was just ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

I went to UCD, but I didn't do science.
    One problem that the lecturers had over and over again was that the low points meant that students would get into the courses, but would be unable to actually do them.
    If you could only manage 300 points then you may want to honestly rethink a course like science, which is very detailed and difficult.

If you really have an interest in a subject then 300 points is plenty. The leaving certificate is a really bad way of determining intellect and aptitude for a particular area of study.
    Problem is that lots of people dont pick what really interests them (or they just dont know). They end up picking courses with a points quota matching what they think they will get in the LC.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

glaston wrote: »
    Problem is that lots of people dont pick what really interests them (or they just dont know). They end up picking courses with a points quota matching what they think they will get in the LC.
    You're right, and that's a recipe for disaster, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I just think that CAO clearly knew that the surge in UCD science applications skyrocketed and should have notified the public on it so people could alter their applications. I know it's not procedure or in their obligations but surely they knew all the hearts that would be broken yesterday! I just feel **** for all those people who missed out :(
    People shouldn't be allowed into college if they don't understand the simplicity that is the CAO system.
    What would need to be altered? If the form is filled out correctly your second choice will be what you would alter it to anyway.

The Minister and those agreeing with him are correct. If 300 points was you putting a good effort into the Leaving Cert. you will have a very tough time in UCD science.

Advertisement